A good DAC/amp match for AKG K712's? <$130
Jul 20, 2018 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Barncore

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I purchased some AKG K712 headphones recently and i currently have them running through my TASCAM US-1800 interface. They run the AKG's okay but they are lacking a little bass through this interface. This was confirmed and i went to the shop and tried my headphones in some other amps. (although the other amps i tried (i tried 3) were either too distorted or too expensive so we can forget about them). Going through a headphone amp fixed the lack of bass, so, gotta buy one.

Budget is $130. Looking for a desktop DAC/Amp combo. The headphones will be used for mixing & mastering at my studio computer so it's imperative that there's no distortion or colouring. I'm not necessarily looking for the most volume, just the best quality. I.e. most separation and most clean while still being phat.

I've been looking at the FX Audio DAC-X6, SMSL M3 and a 1st gen Schiit stack (Magni + Modi). Just looking for some real world experiences with these headphones and amp combos, as well as maybe some suggestions for other amps to look at.

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the k712's and the Schiit Fulla 2 and that DAC/AMP has plenty of power to drive the K712's.

I don't know how the schiit stuff compares to the other brands though. But I can say that schiit makes quality gear at any price point :).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 10
If all you need is the amp, and not an amp+dac, why not a newer magni? The Vali 2 might be worth the extra scratch.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Schiit materials do not affect soundstage negatively. And they are selling neutral sounding and reliable stuffs. Also best for your bucks. Build like tanks with 5 years warranty. You should consider a magni+modi combo, secondhand.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Schiit materials do not affect soundstage negatively. And they are selling neutral sounding and reliable stuffs. Also best for your bucks. Build like tanks with 5 years warranty. You should consider a magni+modi combo, secondhand.
I've heard some people experience this with the Jot. I personally haven't used the jot, but I never had this issue with the Schiit gear I have played with: Magni 2, Vali 1, Lyr 3.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 10
I read that the Schiit stuff kinda narrows the soundstage a bit. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I don't think generalizing is correct. You should read about each component and how it compares with other componentes.
Some Schiit products will provide bigger soundstage than other Schiit products, as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back