A general statement and quick question about some new phones in the mail
Nov 14, 2008 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zadok

100+ Head-Fier
I just want to start off by stating my gratitude that there is a forum like this one on the internet where I can actually listen and understand the opinions of virtually every post (Sometimes the gear gets confusing
confused_face(1).gif
) With so many crap boards out there with trolls and flame artists, it's refreshing to have a place to come.

That being said, a family member of mine has sent me a pair of his Grados. I think they are SR80's or 125's, and I currently have a sennheiser HD580. I was wondering what types of differences between the two that I can expect to find in the music or what types of strengths I should be looking for?

I run the audio out of my X-fi and I listen to rock, electronic, and Classical music. So far, my 580's seem perfect for everything, but partially due to my lack of comparative material to use.
L3000.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 10
The Grados are famous for its aggressive, in your face sound. With lots of speed, PRAT and clarity. Lots of treble, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your tolerance to treble. This makes them the highly recommended rock/metal cans. The SR60/SR80/MS1 are among the best entry-level phones you can get at <$100. Having said that you might like the less aggressive and smoother sound provided by the HD580, especially for those chill out ballads. And the Grados don't have a lot of soundstage, so some songs will sound boxed in.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zadok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering what types of differences between the two that I can expect to find in the music or what types of strengths I should be looking for?

Oh, they're polar opposites. If you're used to unamped Sennheisers, the Grados will be fast, bright and a whole lot of fun. I'm running some RS-1s out of the laptop right now (I'm on vacation; no tubes or vinyl, alas) and enjoying the hell of them. Have fun and if the pads feel uncomfortable, wash them with soap and water in the sink a few times, then let them dry overnight.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Why use vinyl at all? I don't understand how a vinyl source could compare at all to a CD recording? The reason I go out of my way to ask is because virtually all the systems in the summit-fi forums have At least one vinyl player.

When everyone is spending much of their time (and even more of their cash) to eliminate noise, boost sound, and texture music with all the gear, why use a source like a record?

Is it because vinyl technology has somehow improved into a Hi-fi realm? Is it because high end vinyl players can pick up the signal with 0 noise?

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zadok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why use vinyl at all? I don't understand how a vinyl source could compare at all to a CD recording? The reason I go out of my way to ask is because virtually all the systems in the summit-fi forums have At least one vinyl player.

When everyone is spending much of their time (and even more of their cash) to eliminate noise, boost sound, and texture music with all the gear, why use a source like a record?

Is it because vinyl technology has somehow improved into a Hi-fi realm? Is it because high end vinyl players can pick up the signal with 0 noise?

There's many factors but I think most vinyl recordings were mastered back in the days before the "loudness" war and thus don't have ridiculous compression applied to them.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 10
One of the reasons vinyl appears in summit fi is the cost required to get good playback, gets pricey! Also alot of the 'more mature' gentleman at head-fi bought lps 'back in the good old days' and don't want to replace them.

I have a vinyl setup, but its usually let down by poor quality lps! Its fine for speakers, but not for my headphone rig.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 10
occasionally modern recordings have a different master for the cd and the vinyl, and in that situation the vinyl is always better. I also personally enjoy playing vinyl. It is a much more hands-on approach to music

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 10
My friend has a tech 1200 and a shure M97xE cart with the S tone arm. I'm really liking the sound

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Update: I got them in the mail today....They are SR80's

What a difference! Being an audiophile didn't hit me when getting my first set of good phones, but rather the second....The differences between them are screaming at me....I MUST KNOW MORE

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 10
The addiction begins.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back