A fun, fast and clear headphone to spice up this upcoming off season? Replacing Amperior, M100, KSC 75
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tetonpowskier

100+ Head-Fier
It's about to slow down a lot in another month, at least here in my town. That means Its about that time to buy some new cans, in order to spark some life back into my listening experiences. Hopefully less than last year, I'd like to try to keep it under or around $250. If you guys could help me out Id really appreciate it. I dont know really know whats new for 2014/15, and I have not idea there respective sound signatures. I will not be able to do any listening before buying, so I am really just trying to get whatever credible info I can over the internet, but I know this isnt the best way...

I like a fast and fun, aggressive sound, that's also very clear. I like tight fast bass thats not TOO much, clear mids, and some sparkle up top. Definitely more v-shaped, coloured representation.. I need it to be very forward, and engaging, making you move every time you hear the sound. I listen to EDM, R&B, Rock and Rap. I have mostly closed cans, and Im interested in exploring the open back world, but also willing to add another closed set. Headphones I have owned and enjoyed are; Sennheiser HD 25/Amperior, V moda m 100, Audio Technica M50, koss ksc 75, and Sony MDR ZX 600. Sonically, the KSC 75 is just as good, which is why I feel the need to experience higher end open cans. For closed backs, sonically, I think the m 100 was the best, but the ampeior is much more comfortable for me and the lighter low end is less fatiguing. 

What are some new headphones that compare to my old favorites? I still own the Amperior, and I love it for being able to handle any genre well, while still being fast enough for the style of EDM I enjoy. However for this next headphone, id like it to be a little more like the M100, which has even more thump and sparkle, but less accurate. Are there any open headphones that are as fun as the V moda m100?  Or any new closed backs that compare with the m100???

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Can you guys help? Im considering the Philips Fidelio x1/x2, the hifiman he-400, and the sennheiser hd600, i have been researching for like 4 hours off and on today... 

I really need them to excel for EDM. Like absolutely tear the living $#!T out of synthetics and bass. Below is an awesome sample of what I like to listen to. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL8E0KoSz9Q

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Maybe the DT 990s? Great low-end punch with tight bass, high-end sparkle, and an expansive soundstage. Mids are neutral, but sound somewhat recessed relative to the bass and treble. I recall them being relatively fast as well in my brief time listening to them. If you like V-shaped signatures, you might like them. As for your other choices, The HD 600s are too neutral and not quite fast enough for what you're looking for, but the HE-400s have speed and bass punch, so they could be good. I can't comment on the X1 or X2, as I've never heard them.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 6
I ended up buying the HE 400. Im so happy I did, this is by far the best set of cans I have ever heard, atleast for my taste. Its like the open version of the v moda m100 or Sennheiser amperior. I like both of those, but I like these better. I have only been listening to them through my Iphone 5, no amp, and there still great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back