A Full Review: Ray Samuels Audio - The Protector
Apr 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone that knows portable audio, has, or knows someone who has a portable amp designed and built by Ray..

Not me - never had one, can't afford one, don't know anyone who has one.

Question: do you get a convertor cable to plug your iem jack into to make it work with this amp? I'd wanna hope so for $450 man - thats a lot of moolah.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #17 of 86
Well that depends. If you just have the standard 1/8" or 1/4" stereo jack, you either need to put a replace the connector on the end of your cable (if it has 4 wires all the way to the end), or replace the cable altogether. You can then get an adapter that lets you use a standard mini-jack. Alternatively, if your headphones already have a balanced connector (2x3 pin XLR, 4 pin XLR, etc) then you could just make an adapter.

You can of course use the amp in single ended mode, which is what I've been doing as I've been a bit lazy about reterminating my headphones and making adapters, but if you only plan on using it in SE mode then there are probably better options.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Excellent platitude-busting reply.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does a JH13 driven single ended by a mid-high home amp (Woo6 or higher) compare to balanced protector drive? Better, sameish, slightly lower?

I'd definitely say, same-ish to almost better, as long as you are talking about the entry level to higher end home equipment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the Protector and the only mud I can sling at it is the silk screening job on the unit, it's not the best amongst Ray's lineup
devil_face.gif

You mudslinger, you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you come from Planet Claire (B-52's reference)?

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 86
I have a very fine Woo 6. It has one of the best attenuators, the Goldpoint and nonpolar Black Gates in super E configurations for the power supply. I have the best of the resistors in the signal path. The balanced Protector is more 3D and transparent.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 86
In terms of dimensionality, tonal accuracy and imaging, my Protector, driving my balanced phones, outperforms my reference desk amp, a custom SOHA hybrid with blackgates and optimum tubing.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 86
Can anyone say a few word about how the Protector is driving the HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1's?

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #23 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone say a few word about how the Protector is driving the HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1's?

I thought driving my HD800/Warren Audio balanced cable was slightly brighter than I prefer when using the Protector, vs something like my WA6. However, if I use my DACport or uDAC as source it tames the highs a little more and it works much better for me to drive HD800. It's perfect with my balanced HD600, JH13pro and UE11pro - the ones I listen to the most with it. I really need to put a 4-pin XLR on my HE-5 and LA7000 and try those balanced with it. I thought my Nuforce HDP DAC was making it too bright, but it turned out to be the 45 watt PSU for the HDP that was causing the issues.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 86
Nice review, I haven't really been this excited about a portable amp since Ray's Predator before the market exploded with USB DAC AMPs

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a very fine Woo 6. It has one of the best attenuators, the Goldpoint and nonpolar Black Gates in super E configurations for the power supply. I have the best of the resistors in the signal path. The balanced Protector is more 3D and transparent.

That is quite the endorsement. Is there anything that the Woo6 does better? I'm actually seeking an amp that does just that - better headstage, soundstage, and imaging.. I'm wondering if this will pair nicely with Grados given their forward nature and lack of a wide soundstage

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #25 of 86
I have the HF2. I can balance them and let you know how that Grado sound is. So far everything I have changed over to the balanced mode and used with the Protector has had a larger soundstage and better controlled bass. The Woo has the nice quality of tube sound, when tubes are done right. I hate to say this, since I worked so hard on the Woo 6 and did the Pseudo dual power supply that is now incorporated into the design, but the Protector does just about everything and is more transparent. I keep going back to the 6 because I find it hard to believe that the tiny amp can do what it is doing but I end up back on the Protector. I am using the Sophia Princess rectifier in the Woo, which I prefer even over my NOS metal base GZ34s.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 86
Well, I find the Protector (balanced) to sound closer to my Nuforce HDP (stock PSU best), and after over 400 hours I think it's still slightly behind my maxed WA6 with Sophia Princess 274b. Still, the sound from the Protector is surprising and impressive for a portable.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #28 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I find the Protector (balanced) to sound closer to my Nuforce HDP (stock PSU best), and after over 400 hours I think it's still slightly behind my maxed WA6 with Sophia Princess 274b. Still, the sound from the Protector is surprising and impressive for a portable.

Ok, I have to compare more. I am not sure my opinion will change though. :^)

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #29 of 86
Nice review. I'd welcome more comparisons with other amps too, to get a better idea of how well it performs. For me, I've thought of having an ultimate travel rig, probably of JH-13s and full-sized headphones (though probably HF-2s or Symphones Magnums) and if this starts a trend of balanced portable amps, that'll be great.

My only criticism of the review would be the "state of the art opamps" bit, which sounds like marketing copy. An update after some time listening and comparing with other gear would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's perfect with my balanced HD600, JH13pro and UE11pro - the ones I listen to the most with it.

My iQube and P-51 also drives the HD6X0 greatly (But neither of them can handle the T1's) - and are JH13 and UE11 difficult to drive??

I am still looking for impressions from people who can tell me if the Protector can really drive full size cans in the 300-600 Ohms league. I would not be dissapointed if the Protector does not drive full size cans and I have no expectations of it being able to drive them - so I am only hoping
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back