A Fixed Game? Stax 2020 Basic II vs. Sennheiser HD650 - A Review/Comparison
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 27

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
I have heard GS1000, but very briefly and it was amped with a cheap cmoy. The sound was probably due the amping, but it was bassy and somewhat balanced sounding. I'd say it had potential to great lengths but I'm not sure if I am ready to spend good bucks for GS1k + good dynamic amp when there's the Stax lineup in the other end.
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 27

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Posts
4,095
Likes
240
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a man of one can. I don't like the idea of switching and testing different 'phones with different albums, and I never have done it if it didn't involve comparing.



Totally agree with this. I never could understand why anyone would want more than one can other than to make comparisons. It's a bit like having two wives (though some may consider that a good idea): either you're satisfied with the one you've got or you're not. And if you feel one sounds better on particular albums and the other on other albums, how the hell do you remember which is which without a chart--and why would you want to bother anyway? One phone per head, that's my motto.
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #18 of 27

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree with this. I never could understand why anyone would want more than one can other than to make comparisons. It's a bit like having two wives (though some may consider that a good idea): either you're satisfied with the one you've got or you're not. And if you feel one sounds better on particular albums and the other on other albums, how the hell do you remember which is which without a chart--and why would you want to bother anyway? One phone per head, that's my motto.


I certainly understand why some people like to switch phones, but I don't know if I did that myself. It's great for perspectives, yes. And it's partly because of the lack of space. When I get another holder and space for amps, maybe then I'm able to run both (maybe more) headphones simultaneously and thus easily to switch between. But not now.
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #19 of 27

Greeni

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Posts
643
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review! How long did you have the Stax for before you wrote the review? I found the longer you listen to them the more you realize exactly what they do right. You can't hear it at first, but after few long listening sessions you realize what they do best, especially evident in the transient response and decay. Source is also very important and, sorry to say this, SRM-212 is a mediocre amplifier, try SR-202 with T1, SRM-007T or SRM-1Mk2 Pro and you will hear a big improvements. SRM-212 is the most basic of Stax amps, it's like listening to HD600 with PPA amp.

I had HD600 (and I liked HD650 even less) for several years and loved it at fist, but in the end I got extremely tired of it, it bored me to tears as it made everything sound the same, it has a very specific sound signature, not what a good headphone should do.



I checked the Stax website and the latest driver unit of the SRS-2050II system is the SRM-252II. Anyone has idea if this SRM-252II is the equivalent or better of SR-202 mentioned ?
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #20 of 27

kintsaki

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Posts
625
Likes
302
Location
Salonica GR, Prior: London UK, (NC, LA, TX) USA.
Great review.

I still think that there is not a single area
in which the Senns can come close to
Electrostatics let alone compete with
them.
Unless...
confused_face_2.gif
the Stax Lambdas are terrible...
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #21 of 27
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Posts
17,343
Likes
10,972
Location
Fukuoka, Japan
I tried the 3030 then 4040 in a local hi-fi store and was struck by how different each were. The 3030 set seemed to be rolled off in the bass and treble and I just didn't enjoy listening through them. The 4040 set was absolute heaven, however.
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #22 of 27

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked the Stax website and the latest driver unit of the SRS-2050II system is the SRM-252II. Anyone has idea if this SRM-252II is the equivalent or better of SR-202 mentioned ?


You must mean SRM-212 since SR202 is the headphone.
ph34r.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki
I still think that there is not a single area
in which the Senns can come close to
Electrostatics let alone compete with
them.



Well, that's what I thought before I got the package. As it reads, they turned out pretty similar, but for Staxes win. Btw, have you heard the HE90?
bigsmile_face.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong
I tried the 3030 then 4040 in a local hi-fi store and was struck by how different each were. The 3030 set seemed to be rolled off in the bass and treble and I just didn't enjoy listening through them. The 4040 set was absolute heaven, however.


Hmm, the general consensus seems to be that they are pretty similar in sound, but if I was to buy one of the modern lambdas (202, 303, 404), I'd go probably with the 404 without listening because I know the sound and I get the thrill just via 202.
smily_headphones1.gif
Too bad I can't get the Lambda Nova Signature just yet due financial problems.
 
Oct 31, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #24 of 27

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked the Stax website and the latest driver unit of the SRS-2050II system is the SRM-252II. Anyone has idea if this SRM-252II is the equivalent or better of SR-202 mentioned ?


They are hard to compare.
tongue.gif

SRM-252II => Amplifier
SR-202 => Headphone
 
Nov 1, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #25 of 27

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Posts
4,095
Likes
240
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I get another holder and space for amps, maybe then I'm able to run both (maybe more) headphones simultaneously and thus easily to switch between.


Why?
 
Nov 1, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #26 of 27

Fungi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Posts
899
Likes
10
The Stax mission is actually to be "boring" as stated in an interview. But "boring" in their view means unaltered, natural sound. The guy compared it to the pureness of the sound of leaves rustling in the wind that you hear. If you look at the frequency response of Stax, they're very flat with few bumps, peaks, and dips. The large driver and angle helps alleviate the typical headphone headstage/soundstage as well.
 
Nov 1, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #27 of 27

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?


See, while I currently prefer one can at time it is not harmful to have easy access to other phones. Who knows how it works if it's easy to do. Currently I should go and fetch the cans, plug the ICs from the Stax amp to Arietta and plug Senns into and then roll. I'm not sure if I'm more likely to switch cans when I get more space, but it's better to have that way.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top