A first DIY cabling project
Oct 21, 2002 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, i just got in my beyer 931's a few days ago, and while at first, i wasn't all that impressed, removing the foam between my ears and the drivers made a world of difference. It made them significantly more revealing, and even helped to tone down their brightness a bit, combined with a 120 ohm adaptor, of course. Anyway, to make these things even better, i was thinking of replacing the stock cable with a homemade DIY upgrade, since the non-clou HD-600 cables cost so damn much. Anyway, here was my plan

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

Kelly gave me that link over AIM, and while it's for interrconnects, i think i could re-design it a bit to use for my headphone chord to replace this spiral design chord. I was going to construct 2 of those interrconnect designs, and then solder them to the insides of the beyer cups (I've taken them apart, and it seems pretty simple.), and then, simply apply some heatshrink, and then, twist a pair together. I'm not sure how firm the teflon tubing will be, and if it will make it a pain to use.

Right now, i'm thinking of pretty much leaving that design unchanged. Can you guys think of anything that i'm missing with the design? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

(Also, if the project turns out to work well, i'd be more than happy to make a few for some other head-fi users)

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I did the exact same thing for my HD-600. You're on the right track; in fact, I can't find anything wrong with your planning (I went about the project the same way). I did, however, substitute the Teflon tubing (which I have leftovers of from past interconnect projects should you want some) for something more pliant, 1/4" PVC irrigation tubing. I used the Neutrik plug Cardas seems to be using, FWIW.

NGF

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 9
3/4" inch? are you serious? That's just huge!

I might take you up on that teflon tubing offer... Right now, i'm thinking of making a 6 foot or so cable

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 9
Teflon is nice, but can be kinda stiff. PVC is alot more flexible, if not as politically correct. Two easy sources- pet shops have it for aquarium air pumps and many hardware stores will have it in the plumbing section. Avoid anything that will stretch easily (rubber), as that will put the strain on the conductors, if pulled on. (I have used it for several sets of magnet wire interconnects with good results.)

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Really? all the PVC i've delt with is pretty stiff, like, really, really stiff... do you still reccomend getting 1/4 inch?

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
3/4" inch? are you serious? That's just huge!

I might take you up on that teflon tubing offer... Right now, i'm thinking of making a 6 foot or so cable

No, that was a slip of a finger. Do contact me if you want any of either kind of tubing. I wouldn't ask you to pay for anything more than shipping, afterall
wink.gif

NGF

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 9
I recommend that you use 1/4" Samson Supreme, Polypropylene Solid Braided Rope (white). At McMaster Carr that's part #3873T23, and it sells for $13.64 (100 feet). It is perfect for Chris Venhaus Interconnects and headphone cables.

Why this particular rope? Well, this is a pulley rope. So it does not stretch much. Why is this important? If your rope stretches, it starts to pull apart the Teflon and wire inside. Results? You end up with a messy cable with all sorts of unwanted bumps. Believe me, dealing with this problem can be frustrating and time consuming.

http://www.mcmaster.com

Advantages of Polypropylene over Teflon tubing....
--It's cheaper.
--It does a better job of damping.
--Stuffing cotton for damping in Teflon tubing is difficult.
--Polypropylene Rope is very, very flexible.
--Teflon tubing is not flexible!
--And so on and so forth.

Highly recommended....5 Stars!

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Ok, so i'm thinking on the Polypropylene Solid Braided Rope, but, before i order (acually, i have to wait an hour or so before i can access the parental units
wink.gif
) But, what exactly would i use for stuffing cotton? Just cottonballs, or is there some "Audiophile grade" Cotton, or something that's simply easier to use.

BTW, thanks alot for your help so far guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 9
I used bagged cotton I found at J-Mart, a nearby crafts shop. A straightened coat hanger makes an excellent stuffing utensil.

NGF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back