A Few Questions on IEMs / Yuins
Sep 22, 2007 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrD3i2

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, any help on this is appreciated. I have been researching headphones for a while now. I have been planning to buy a set with a new Ipod, and I think I have it pretty narrowed down. I am planning to spend around 100$ and am pretty much trying to decide between the Yuin PK1 / PK2 and the UE Super Fi. 5 Pros.

I want something with the best sound; I listen to mostly rock and trance / electronic, but with a little bit of almost everything else. I do like bass. I have been using Bose Triport Around-Ears for the past couple of years on my computer. I plan to use these new headphones for portable and home computer use.

I was just wondering if these headphones are good choices for sound quality for my preferences / how they compare to each other?
I picked the Yuins because I think I might like the non inner ear better...easier to use / remove and more comfortable?
Do you think the Yuin PK1 can handle an Ipod on its own? I have read that you need an amp for them, but is it totally necessary? I am pretty sure those would sound better than the PK2s, especially on my computer?

Thanks for any responses =). This forum has been a big help.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 10
The Yuin's are the most comfortable 'quality' earphones I have. Let me qualify 'quality' - the sound great, but look worse than $4.99 earphones from Walmart (I know because I bought Walmart earphones for the wind-up case). However, they sound great.

The PK1 can be used straight out of an iPod. I'm listening to The Fifth Element Soundtrack - The Diva Dance right now unamped out of a 3G nano. The volume has to be set to around 65% of max or higher, which will probably affect battery life. The PK1 unamped is not an ideal portable setup, anyway - reduces battery life and no isolation compared with the UEs.

The PK1 is useable straight out of my PowerBook's headphone jack - one added bonus is the hiss is significantly less with the PK1 compared to more sensitive IEMS when used this way.

The PK2 sounds great unamped, but personally I like the PK1 unamped compared to the PK2 - the bass extension is better, but the PK1 is dramatically improved amped.

Either the PK1 or PK2 will serve you well - you can wear it for hours. I can wear my UESF3 for hours too, but it's not as comfortable, and doesn't sound as good as the PK1. The PK2 has a slightly more boomy sound compared to the UESF3 and so may be better for trance.

For your bass-heavy music, maybe you should consider the UE SF5EB. Another alternative for the same budget is to get the PK2 and UESF3 (for when isolation is needed). Check amazon.com for the prices of the UE - the prices fluctuate even on the same day. Sometimes white is much cheaper than black or vice versa.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Sitting here right now listening to the PK1s amped (Penguin Classic) and they sound fantastic, especially with a good pink noise burn-in. Never owned the UE's, so can comment on them. The PKs are a great value. Maybe you should consider the PK3s as well, which are on sale here as a group buy for $25 shipped. They don't need amping either. I really can't get enough volume out of my Creative Zen VM with the PK1s and no amp for use out of doors. Inside, the volume is fine with the PK1s, and they also sound fine (but not as good as amped).

I owned the PK2s as well; sold them to finance the PK1s. They also sounded fine, but I am not sure they are much better than the PK3s.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 10
PK3 is good, but not on the same league with PK2. It will be best if you get PK2 instead of PK1 of you don't use amp. Anyway, neither PKs isolate much, which make them not so ideal for portable use.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, I am not sure how much isolation I really need. It is mostly for use at school when I have free time in between classes / when I am walking around. I don't want to be too isolated where I don't know whats going on around me. I plan to be using these at least 50% of the time from a computer. The other half from the Ipod.

I don't really mind having to turn the volume up on it. Is that the only negative of the PK1 compared to the PK2? Or will the PK2 actually sound better than the PK1 without an amp? And how do they compare to my current Bose Triports (soundwise)?

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 10
I think your computer might have enough juice to drive PK1 (mine does), but I am not so sure about ipod (maybe the volume need to turn way up + EQing). Without amp, PK1's bass suffer and resolution isn't as high as it can go. PK2 doesn't sound like PK1 (unamped). PK2 is a lot more 'fun' and brighter than PK1. Than again, getting a PK1 means if you ever get an amp, you will be a very happy man.

Triports... not as good as both PKs, IMO.

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 10
I have both the PK1's and 2's. Even unamped, I think that the PK1's sound better - although the difference is less noticeable than when amped. If you buy the PK1's, you can upgrade to an amp later and get a great improvement in sound quality.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Just want to throw in another choice, the Audio Technica's ATH-CM700 or ATH-CM700ti earbuds. I have been very impressed with the CM700ti's and to my ears, it is comparable to my HD580/DT880...and that is saying lots considering the CM700 are earbuds.

Can't say much about Yuins though (haven't had the pleasure to hear it)... but the CM700's impedence is low enough that you definitely don't need any amps with it. I'm running it straight out of my iPod.

For isolation, I just purchased (and waiting for it) a UE Super.Fi 5 Pro. Haven't heard it so, I can't comment on that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back