A few questions about RE0 -> DBA-02
Apr 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chengbin

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of RE0, and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm thinking of upgrading to the DBA-02, and I have some questions regarding it.

Right now I don't like the way the RE0 fits in my ear. It doesn't make a lasting tight seal, and the isolation isn't very good (compared to my old Shure). Does the DBA-02 fit well? How's the isolation?

I don't like the amount of bass I get with my RE0. In a quiet environment the bass is fine, but still a bit shy in quantity than I'd like. In a noisy environment such as outdoors and subway, the bass is non existent, literally. In foobar2000 I need a 10dB boost in bass for my RE0 to sound to my likings, and I think I'd need a 20dB boost in bass for outdoor listening.

I know that the DBA-02 has more bass than the RE0, but it is not bassy. I've heard of the SE530, and it has the perfect amount of bass I'd like in a pair of earphones. How's the DBA-02's bass compared to the SE530 in terms of quantity?

Lastly, how's the durability of the DBA-02? The previous Shure's and the RE0 were pretty fragile, with none of them lasting for more than a year. For my next earphone I'd like it to last a lot longer than that. Since the DBA-02 has a straight jack, I plan to use it with an extension cable so the DBA-02's jack isn't moving at all. Is this a good idea to increase the lifespan of the DBA-02?

Oh and BTW, if you think there is a better pair of earphones <$200 shipped to Canada, please mention it. I've been off Head-Fi for months, and I don't know if a new killer model is out. My listening preference is an extended (even tipped) treble, and hence the RE0 and DBA-02.

Thanks everyone

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 8
DBA02's are bassier than the RE0's but aren't considered "bassy" headphones so they should be perfect for you.  It's hard to tell if you'll get a good seal or not, it depends on the tips a lot too but most people don't have any trouble getting seals with the DBA02.  Maybe you should try one size larger tips.  I believe that DBA02's are decently built.  I don't really think that the extension is necessary, if you store your headphones in a case while not in use you shouldn't have any problem with them breaking.  It would definitely help though if you've had issues with that in the past.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 8
^^^agreed. and about isolation, the shape of ear canal are differents for each person, so it depends on the tips, you might want to try wearing it over your ear, i always get better seal wearing iems that way.

as for extension cord, i dont think you would need it, as long as you take care of your iem. and please note that sometimes extension cord affects the sound.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 8
Should be about on par or a little better than Shures but less than Etymotics with triple flanges.  If you use ER triple flanges on the DBA02's which should fit, you should get pretty close to the amount of isolation. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Should be about on par or a little better than Shures but less than Etymotics with triple flanges.  If you use ER triple flanges on the DBA02's which should fit, you should get pretty close to the amount of isolation. 

Correct.  I use Klipsch bi flanges and get close to Ety level isolation just shy by perhaps 1-2 dB if I had to guess.  But I get more comfort and they don't tickle my ear drum like the Ety triples that drive me crazy after 10 minutes.

DBA's are not bassy but can be very impactful and punchy.  Something the RE0 will never be.  It can catch you off guard at times.

Durability is quite good IMO despite appearances.  They look weaker than the SM3 but blow the SM3 away in durability and design.  Etys are little tanks.  Maybe not tanks but LAVs.  

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back