A fast, low-lag sound card.
Jun 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PianistOne111

Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been asked before.

What would you recommend as a fast sound card? Decent sound quality (or moddable to be decent) would be nice also.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm using the computer to play VST instruments while using a keyboard as a MIDI controller. I want as little lag as possible. I've tried an X-Fi XtremeMusic, which got me 5-ish milliseconds of lag.

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 3

infinitesymphony

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure if you're going to get much faster than that. The speed of the computer itself is also part of the equation. You might try moving up to a professional PCI card like the E-MU 1212M (which requires one PCI slot and a blank slot); many people have claimed that it will work down to 2ms. Still, it will never feel exactly like playing a real synth or piano if you're sensitive to latency.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 3

E.B.M.Head

100+ Head-Fier
For low latency midi or wave recording I would look for firewire stuff. Most high quality professional audio stuff connects via firewire to the computer.
Presonus Firestudio is somewhat the refernce in music recording biz, but if you don't need that much inputs, then check out the firewire stuff from alesis, m-audio or edirol which ain't bad too and is a bit cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread