A DIY dac better than asus xonar dx?
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 45
Maybe a ODAC?

Might also try post the question here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 45
Quote:
I wanted to build a dac better than my asus xonar dx, never got to search any ... could you recommend some to ride?

Sure: pupDAC sold at beezar or Gamma 1 or 2 by AMB labs.  Also if you are up the challenge than you can try your hand at the Buffalo III by twisted pear audio.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 45
Quote:
Maybe a ODAC?

Might also try post the question here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/

ODAC comes all assembled, but it is a possibility

thx for the link purple
Quote:
Sure: pupDAC sold at beezar or Gamma 1 or 2 by AMB labs.  Also if you are up the challenge than you can try your hand at the Buffalo III by twisted pear audio.  

seems to be very difficult to solder it ^ ^

I better get ready ODAC same and just solder the 3.5mm

need a lot of precision to solder a dac

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 45
Yup the surface soldering is a bit difficult and requires a bit of precision.  Very fun build though and also very easy to follow.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:
I've soldered some amplifiers but never a dac ^^

So the trick is to use flux...it makes life so much easier.  Also put solder on the pads than put the chip on top of that and then just press down with the soldering iron.  The solder will flow to the heat and the travel from the pad to the pin on the chip and then your done.  The only thing you need to worry about will be touching more than one pin with the iron because that could cause a bridge and short.  Also to not overheat the chip.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:
I'm afraid of making mistakes, I think I'll wait a little longer. ^^

Mistakes are over rated.  They happen, just fix it.  Active components are also not that sensitive to heat.  An iron at 550-650F won't have much problems even with contact around 30 seconds.

Start with something simple like an Alien DAC or whatever superceded that.  If it goes awry, toss it in the trash.  After that, build the DAC you really want to work on.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:
ODAC comes all assembled, but it is a possibility
thx for the link purple

I thought (guessed) maybe someone out there sells the an unassembled ODAC kit.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Mistakes are over rated.  They happen, just fix it.  Active components are also not that sensitive to heat.  An iron at 550-650F won't have much problems even with contact around 30 seconds.

Start with something simple like an Alien DAC or whatever superceded that.  If it goes awry, toss it in the trash.  After that, build the DAC you really want to work on.

+1.  If you don't make mistakes how are you going to learn?  Ya if you make a mistake just fix it.  I would go for it honestly don't hold back because you are afraid.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:
A DIY dac better than asus xonar dx?

Any of the ones supported on Head-Fi would be better, hands down.  I can't speak for the stuff on ebay - you're on your own there, but the ones already mentioned in this thread - yeah, no contest.*

That said, I see many discussion threads about powering headphones directly from the Asus ... bad idea - and for the DIY DACs, too.  With few exceptions, we make DACs to be DACs and amps to be amps.  You need both except in isolated circumstances.

* Obviously, I sell a couple of the ones mentioned ... but even so, why the heck would any MOT be offering them to the DIY community if they weren't better than a sound card?

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:
+1.  If you don't make mistakes how are you going to learn?  Ya if you make a mistake just fix it.  I would go for it honestly don't hold back because you are afraid.  

Quote:

So... I'll build a dac :)

just give me some more diy dacs for me to consider, as one can with 3.5mm + RCA output (headphone and one for speaker)
Quote:
Any of the ones supported on Head-Fi would be better, hands down.  I can't speak for the stuff on ebay - you're on your own there, but the ones already mentioned in this thread - yeah, no contest.*

That said, I see many discussion threads about powering headphones directly from the Asus ... bad idea - and for the DIY DACs, too.  With few exceptions, we make DACs to be DACs and amps to be amps.  You need both except in isolated circumstances.

* Obviously, I sell a couple of the ones mentioned ... but even so, why the heck would any MOT be offering them to the DIY community if they weren't better than a sound card?

I already have one objective o2, wanted complete with a dac, but it would be fun to ride a dac

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 45
Actually, holland makes a good point - perhaps the simplest DAC to DIY is the SkeletonDAC.  Yes, I sell it.  I'm not shilling, but rather essentially confirming that the SkeletonDAC is the current implementation of the AlienDAC.  The BantamDAC was next after the Alien - basically an AlienDAC shrunk down with TPS regulators instead of REG's, but using the same PCM2702 chip.  As time went on, the PCM2702 became NRND from TI - Not Recommended for New Designs.  Because of this, the price started climbing for the chip so that it equaled the former cost of the entire kit.

Cobaltmute was kind enough to design a low-cost follow-on DAC based on the PCM2704/5, TI's stated replacements for the PCM2702.

Before you say the specs aren't nearly as good as the PCM2702, I'm not sure I ever saw anyone achieve the specs that TI quoted on the PCM2702.  I think there may have been some funny business going on in the early days of testing DAC chips.
wink.gif
  For whatever reason, the Bantam/Skeleton seem to be fully equal to the Alien, but of the three DACs today - only the SkeletonDAC is still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back