A DAP player as an upgrade from Mojo
Oct 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hakunamakaka

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Is there a dap player that could bring at least or better qualities of Mojo on the go. I do have Fiio M11 pro, though the sound seems cleaner I miss that organic timbre and layering capabilities of Mojo. Soundstage can be towards intimate, but instruments should have a good texture to it. The Mojo somehow nails on vocals for me which sound very natural and are not recessed.

I see there are plenty of R2R based DAP's, but the ones I'm finding are out of the budget. Wifi for me is needed because I listen a lot to streamed music

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 13
I really enjoy my Astell & Kern SE200. Really good player and allows me to appreciate my Abyss Diana Phi headphones at work!

I see it is based on 2 different DAC chips so as I understand you basically switch between different signatures. I haven't got a good luck with ESS based DAC as they all seemed to be too aggressive in their presentation for my tastes. They were clean sounding and usually with airy treble, but too tiring. Maybe things have moved on as my experience is a bit outdated.

Curious if there is a noticeable improvement over mid tier DAP's. M11 pro is not bad per say, but Mojo grabs me more especially with instrumental music and unfortunately it is not portable at all..

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Yes it allows for switching between two different chips, flavors if you will. I seem to prefer the AKM DAC. Both are excellent but the AKM just sounds more musical to me.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes it allows for switching between two different chips, flavors if you will. I seem to prefer the AKM DAC. Both are excellent but the AKM just sounds more musical to me.

I've enjoyed AKM based DAC's & DAP more as well. Does it have enough liveliness via AKM ? My main worry with AKM is that micro-dynamics are not the best. Attacks on music tracks are too on the soft side and I get the feeling like I'm listening to the band behind the glass wall. To enjoy music I have to push the volume louder which I want to avoid. I'll check through Astell & Kern offerings, seems a highly regarded brand, though 2 different DAC options in a DAP is not a necessity for me

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 13
I've enjoyed AKM based DAC's & DAP more as well. Does it have enough liveliness via AKM ? My main worry with AKM is that micro-dynamics are not the best. Attacks on music tracks are too on the soft side and I get the feeling like I'm listening to the band behind the glass wall. To enjoy music I have to push the volume louder which I want to avoid. I'll check through Astell & Kern offerings, seems a highly regarded brand, though 2 different DAC options in a DAP is not a necessity for me

Not the SP2000. Only DAP that has proper AKM implementation built-in. None of that Velvet induced softness and one note bass like on other AKM daps and some desktop DACs like the RME

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 13
I have a pair of Focal Stellias and a Focal Arche as well as a SE200. Could be that the Stellias are so good at micro-dynamics that everything sounds punchy on them, but both the Arche and SE200 make the music feel live. Hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 13
Focal Stellia is very lively headphone, my cIEM not so. SP2000 is above my budget and I'm even considering to give ESS sabre dac based source a second go. Things might have changed

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 13
I have both Abyss Diana Phi and Focal Clear MGs.... both sound very dynamic and alive with either my Woo WA22 or the Astell&Kern SE200!

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 13
From your sound signature preferences you describe I would go with the Sony 507, I’ve got a similar taste, I love my 507 and will not look at anything else until Sony comes up with a replacement to the 1Z TOTL.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 13
From your sound signature preferences you describe I would go with the Sony 507, I’ve got a similar taste, I love my 507 and will not look at anything else until Sony comes up with a replacement to the 1Z TOTL.

thanks 507 seems a decent option. I do have shanling m6 pro/m8 as well in my bucket list. Curiuos how far an improvement goes with TOTL flagships, my IEM’s are sensitive and I don’t really need that extra power given from TOTL DAP’s

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 13
thanks 507 seems a decent option. I do have shanling m6 pro/m8 as well in my bucket list. Curiuos how far an improvement goes with TOTL flagships, my IEM’s are sensitive and I don’t really need that extra power given from TOTL DAP’s
Yes Shanling DAPs seem to have a sound signature that we look for. I almost bought the M8 a couple of months ago but there seems to be quite a few glitches and bugs in so I prefer sticking to Sony. Really not sure either that the M8 would sound better to my ears then the 507 with it’s vinyl processor EQ, I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back