A custom Head-Fi search engine plug-in for your browser: FireFox / IE7 / Camino
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
For those who are really lazy about the 'site:head-fi.org' thingy when you are using Google to search through Head-fi, I just created a custom browser plug-in with google engine which will automatically insert the 'site:head-fi.org' for you and limits your search w/i head-fi.org.

For FireFox/IE7/Camino (2.0a1) user: The plug-in will be shown on the top right corner of your browser's build-in search engine selection as 'Google Head-Fi'. Just select it.

You can find it at Mozdev.org's Mycroft Project page, under the name ['Google Head-Fi' by ClieOS].

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 18
Just confirmed that the plug-in works on IE7 as well. Cheer.

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 18
Nice!
I don't use Firefox myself, but see how this can be useful for a lot else around here.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 18
krmathis, if you are reading this, can you please take some time and try the plug-in on Camino? It might work since Camino supports OpenSearch standard (which is what the plug-in is based on). Thanks.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 18
Nice one! Makes things much easier.

funny-pictures-cat-scratches-post.jpg

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis, if you are reading this, can you please take some time and try the plug-in on Camino? It might work since Camino supports OpenSearch standard (which is what the plug-in is based on). Thanks.

Ahaa! Just tried it, and it works perfectly fine in Camino 2.0a1.
So you can safely add Camino to Firefox / IE7 above..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahaa! Just tried it, and it works perfectly fine in Camino 2.0a1.
So you can safely add Camino to Firefox / IE7 above..
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. Will do
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 18
Thinking the separate search box is very clumsy and difficult to use without mouse (I work with keyboard a lot. It's more ergonomic) I've always used a bookmark that does the job. Works in Opera and Firefox at least, you first make a google search of your desire and bookmark it. Then replace the example keyword with %s and add the bookmark a keyword, "hf" for example. The result bookmark is something like this:

Name: Head-fi search (or whatever)
Address: %s site:head-fi.org - Google Search
Keywords: hf

The %s acts as a boogie variable, whatever you type after the keyword is imported to the place %s stands. And now I can make super fast searches like pressing ^T for new tab and typing "hf stello da100" for example. Or just ^L for moving the focus on to the address bar. (In firefox) I've treated all the good searches this way (imdb, wikipedia, google, headfi) and it's quick.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 18
^ yeah, that's actually the recommended way of getting a custom search in Opera. Those of you who are using Safari will need a plug-in called 'Inquisitor' to get custom search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back