A couple UE Superfi 4 quesions...
Jul 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 29
No, SF4 are not bass heavy, they are analytical phones, but they have great bass for that type of sound. Unicron, you could try squishing down the foam tips around the inner tube first to make the tube as narrow as you can and then insert rather deep into your ear, hold your hand there until the foam expands and fills the space. Foam tips are usually the best ones to stay in during exercise, etc.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #18 of 29
   Yeah, thats how I tried to get them to fit....no luck. Even after squishing them as small as possible they still gradually slide out of my ears. At this point I am just fed up. If I remember correctly the barrel/nozzle on my custom 3s looked alot narrower and I had no problems at all with fit, they slid right in. With these it feels like I am trying to jam a marble into my ear.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #20 of 29
This is my first post and I'm glad to read  at least some people here appreciate the SF4s sound quality.  I just bought the SF4s at more than half what it retails here for, which is $150 where I'm located and I have come to realize especially with these IEM, proper fit makes the sound quality just shine. I'm no audiophile whatsoever, and I'm sure many of you audiophiles will dispute my claim but I do fully agree with what Aconteceu claims that the highs and mids are what makes the SF4 . I'm a bass head myself and it took me couple of days to adjust to the bass quality of these earphones, but they are more than adequate for me. However, with that in mind, I'm dying to hear what the REOs and Hippo's sound like compared to the SF4.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 29
  Yeah, thats what I thought too. I threw em up in the classifieds looking for a trade and will see how that goes. Meanwhile I will order those double flange tips ( I think they are only 2.99 for 2 pair... that I can afford, lol) and see if they make a difference. Do you know of any tips I can maybe mod to make even smaller that fit these phones? I read somewhere about people making their own tips out of earplugs or something, any experience with that?

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #23 of 29
Perhaps, you can try using a really snug fitting small tip, so that you don't have to push it on the nozzle all the way. Then the tip will sit at the end of the nozzle and go in deeper. Maybe putting E2C foam in reverse?

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #24 of 29
  Thanks for all of your help and time aconteceu....I have a trade pending for some Yamaha EPH-50s. I know these are going to be very different than the Superfis but it was the great reviews on the fit of the Yamahas that sold me. They seem to get pretty decent reviews sound-wise as well, we shall see. Like I said, these are going to be my daily beaters so comfort is of the utmost importance being that they will be in my ears for hours every day. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #26 of 29
Can anyone recommend a double or triple flange tip for these?  I find that the small silicon tips and the comply's that came with them isolate about the same, but the silicon is a little more convenient.  So I'm looking for something that may isolate a little more than either of those.

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #27 of 29
   Sorry jbi, I did not get a chance to keep my UEs long enough to try out any of the double flange tips. Wish I could help you out more...I was gonna order a pair from this site:  http://www.ecrater.com/p/8575553/double-flange-ear-buds-tips    I had a really hard problem finding them anywhere else other than on UK sites for some reason and they all wanted way too much money. For about five bucks I would give those a shot as you wont lose much loot if you hate them. I emailed the guy as I am always leery of ordering stuff from Hong Kong/Singapore/China etc but he replied quickly and answered all of my questions. Plus its only about 5 bucks with shipping, worth a shot.
This is the only info I could dig up on them here:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/312059/ultimate-ears-double-flange-tips-questions-size-and-other-applications    Seems as if people either like em or despise em.  Not sure if any other company makes a decent set of double flanges for the UEs, got rid of my phones before diving into too much research.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 29
Thanks, just ordered these.  Were cheap enough to take a gamble.  If they don't do the job I'll look at Etymotics or something else with more tip option.  Hoping to get something that goes on a little quicker than Comply foam..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back