A couple questions about Beyerdynamics
May 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lukeman3000

New Head-Fier
Hello; I am looking at a couple different Beyerdynamics for a friend of mine who is building a gaming PC. I have a pair of DT770 Pro 80ohm and absolutely love them.

However, after reading about the DT990 Pros, I'm thinking they may be the way to go because they're an open headphone. Which leads me to my questions:

1. Are open or closed headphones generally better for gaming?

2. Have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 32ohm been discontinued? I can't find them anywhere. All I can find is the 250ohm (professional version). Amazon has the 32ohm "premium" version, but my friend doesn't want to spend that much.

3. About ohms - I was under the impression that more ohms generally required more power. He is going to have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium internal sound card -- would he have enough juice to drive the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm?

4. What about his ipod? Could he listen to music at a decent volume with the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm?

5. Why is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm so much more expensive than it's 250 ohm counterpart? Am I missing something here? If anything, I would think that the higher ohm version would be more expensive...

6. Lastly, I'm open to any other recommendations, but I would like to hear opinions as it pertains to the DT770 pro Vs. the DT990 pro for gaming.

May 21, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

This thread will contain the answers to some of your questions.

1. I personally feel like open phones is better for gaming. They're usually crisper than closed headphones and the ability to have your ears stay cool during long gaming sessions is amazing. I own the 990's and they are by FAR the most comfortable headphones I have ever used.

2. I don't know. I bought the 990 pro 250ohms off amazon. My motherboard asrock z77 extreme4 powered the headphones to a decent level. However, I bought the e07k+e09k shortly after. I just plugged them into my phone and they reach a comfortable sound level. It's not super loud, but it will get the job done unless your ears are terrible.

3. That sound card should do just fine.

4. See above.

5. Not sure. It could just be the demand is a lot higher so they can ask for more $$.

6. If he is ONLY worried about gaming I would look for a different pair of headphones. The directional cue's on the 990 are pretty good, but there are better headphones out there for gaming only. However, if he is going to be listening to music, movies, videos...etc I can't suggest the 990 more. They're great "fun" headphones. They have great sound stage, awesome bass, amazingly comfortable and are a decent price. (170 USD is what I paid.)

Good luck with the search.

May 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 3
The 250 ohm version is much lighter on the bass AFAIK

Open headphones will do better for competitive gaming. I would recommend an amp for the dt990 250ohm.

Also, refer to MLE's gaming guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-17-13-skullcandy-plyr-1-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back