A complaint about Girl Scout cookies
Feb 27, 2006 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Vicious Tyrant

100+ Head-Fier
You know what I don't like about Girl Scout cookies? I don't like parents bringing the order form to the work place and having me sign up.

Isn't the point to teach the girls about assertiveness and business and what not? Anyway, I like to have the kids come to work now and then and show their face and ask me to buy. That's much funner than having mom send an email to the whole department saying there's an order form at the front desk.

I want to be able to see my co-workers kids at least once a year to see how their growing. Is that so much to ask? I'm buying b/c they taste good for one thing, but also because I want to support these young ladies, is it too much to ask that their parents have them show up and ask me themselves????

I know there's a lot of pressure to sell a bunch, its just that if anything in life shouldn't be an impersonal experience its buying Girl Scout cookies from your friend's kids.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 49
Yeah that's true, the kids should at least show face to sell them. Isn't there like big prizes or something for most sales? that'd be the main reason why parents bring the sheets to work. I haven't seen girl guide cookies in years...do they still have those chocolate mint ones? those were good...

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 49
My complaint is that the cookies aren't a comparable product to the "premium" cookies available at everyt grocery store nowadays. "Sorry kid, you just can't beat the Pepperidge Farm Chessmen & Milano's."

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 49
Vicious Tyrant,

Isn't your work filled with delinquents? I thought I read in another of your posts that you're a probation officer. I don't think bringing kids there would be the best idea. j/k
biggrin.gif

I completely agree with you. I work in an office with about 100 people and I see girls scout cookies as well as holiday fund raisers, magazine drives, you name it. Some of the people at my work, have the kids deliver it or give us hand written notes of thank you. I'll accept that. I have no kids but I have a nephew and I'm dreading the day that my sister asks me to sell stuff for his school.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
Vicious Tyrant,

Isn't your work filled with delinquents? I thought I read in another of your posts that you're a probation officer. I don't think bringing kids there would be the best idea. j/k
biggrin.gif

Ha! Maybe I should specify I'm talking about CO-WORKERS! Yeah, the last thing I need is my juvenile clients hitting me up to buy their cookies! I used to work in a church running youth programs, and when this time of year came, I had forty kids asking me to buy cookies. Dude, I didn't know how to tell them but I wasn't making enough to drop that kind of coin!

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 49
I think the whole idea of selling things like this at the workplace is inappropriate. It makes people feel pressured to buy in order to maintain good relations at work. Girl scout cookies should be sold door to door, at public events like high school/middle school sporting events, etc.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 49
Doesn't bother me at all.

1. Saves me a trip to the store.

2. I had children of that age once, and when you have kids and have to deal with all the things you have to deal with, sometimes you have to take certain shortcuts to preserve your sanity. I sympathize with parents who are in that position.

3. It would be really nice if the girls could come into work themselves, but the logistics are often a problem, and some parents may fell that the pressure put on co-workers by a personal appearance may be even more inappropriate.

4. In the scheme of things, it 's not a big deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
2. I had children of that age once, and when you have kids and have to deal with all the things you have to deal with, sometimes you have to take certain shortcuts to preserve your sanity. I sympathize with parents who are in that position.

Yeah, really I can sympathize. I just feel like it would be a nice time for me to connect with the kids whom I never see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
4. In the scheme of things, it 's not a big deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, excuse me but DUH!!!

If it was a big deal, I would be doing something besides posting on a message board! That's whats nice about a board like this. I'm irked, I post, its gone!
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
If it was a big deal, I would be doing something besides posting on a message board! That's whats nice about a board like this. I'm irked, I post, its gone!
icon10.gif

LOL!
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 49
i WISH there were some folks in the office with girl scout order forms! i need me some Samoas and I need em NOW!

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i WISH there were some folks in the office with girl scout order forms! i need me some Samoas and I need em NOW!

Hey, that's another thing. They don't call them Samoas anymore (at least around here), they call the Caramel Delights. Is that a PC thing, so as not to offend Samoans?

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 49
I agree with you, parents should encourage their kids to do most if not all of the selling for themselves. I wouldn't like for someone to bring me their kid's form and expect me sign it either. What I find wrong is that if you say you don't want to sign it and state the reasons we've been talking about everyone would think you're a d-head, no?

However, I will gladly take any chance to get the THIN MINTS!!!

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 49
Eating some Samoas now (and they are still called Samoas here). Good stuff. My main problem with the Girl Scout cookies is that they are not available all year long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back