A comparison between AD700 / AD900 / AD1000 / AD2000
Apr 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lucky: okay but for you wider soundstage = more distant or just more depth?

Not more distant, but a greater sense of immersion, with sounds coming from different directions. I like the feeling of sounds panned left and right.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not more distant, but a greater sense of immersion, with sounds coming from different directions. I like the feeling of sounds panned left and right.

Ok thanks, that looks nice...

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I *think* voices might sound closer rather than farther away, or at least closer than AD700s. But I couldn't figure it out either, so I finally just ordered a pair today to find out for myself. I was too curious about these cans by far.
tongue.gif

Be sure to post your impressions when you get them.
atsmile.gif
I have a feeling I'll be getting a pair myself soon.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #36 of 49
Calm down people. Discuss, don't argue. Can we get some Head-fi love going?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering the sound signature, the AD1000 probably the one that I like the least, however because of the refinement and better overall I would put them above the AD700 and 900.

I guess between the 325i and the AD1000 (the parallels between the two seem pretty numerous now that I think about it...) I'm collecting some of the least loved mid-fi cans, or at least those disliked by most.
tongue_smile.gif
What's next on the list, some vintage cans, DT48s, HD555s, suggestions?

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #37 of 49
Great post. My favorite part was the picture really, haha. I didn't like the way the AD700's looked when I ordered them, but I figured I'd deal with it, but now they look pretty sweet. They're huge!

I'll post back when my AD700's come[back]. (I ordered from Electronics Expo.. yeah..)

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lame. I say the 700s are a bit recessed and I have people judge my hearing and IQ..You mention it and go un scratched.

I'm one that agreed with you and actually defended you in the first post of my ad700 thread. I also say that they are slightly recessed in the mids with a neutral source.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #39 of 49
I wouldn't agree that the AD700s are a bit recessed until I heard other cans like AD900 and AD2000
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk
I guess between the 325i and the AD1000 (the parallels between the two seem pretty numerous now that I think about it...) I'm collecting some of the least loved mid-fi cans, or at least those disliked by most. What's next on the list, some vintage cans, DT48s, HD555s, suggestions?

Not sure, I think DT48s are getting some more attention nowadays, HD555 are already popular for entry-level cans (I don't like them
biggrin.gif
). Could be Bose? They sure are one of the least loved by head-fi
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't agree that the AD700s are a bit recessed until I heard other cans like AD900 and AD2000
tongue.gif

+1 I think depending on what other phones (or speakers) you're used to, a lot of people might not realize that it's recessed, and are puzzled when people say that it is. But there is definitely a dip in those upper mid frequencies, it is very apparent when A/Bing against a very detailed and neutral phone like an MDR-v6, for example. A huge chunk of the frequency range is really subdued there. It's not exactly missing, but it's at a much lower volume than the surrounding frequencies, giving a slightly veiled sound to some of the mids. And some people really like that sound, while others tend not to.

I think maybe (just a theory) that the slightly elevated highs of the AD700 compared to something like HD595 -- which has a similar frequency profile to the AD700, and a similar dip in the mids but without the elevated highs -- makes the midrange dip seem even more apparent on the AD700s, which is why it stands out more.

So you are definitely not alone, kool bubba!
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #41 of 49
A question for the reviewer or any AD900 owner as well:

I read in some other thread, briefly, that the drivers on the AD700 are angled while the ones on the AD900 are not.

can you confirm that?

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #42 of 49
Wow, these look so cheap
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, these look so cheap
frown.gif

Compared to? I think that outside of the somewhat odd color on the AD700, the AT AD series look better built than most things in their price range and well outside it. Especially Sennheisers and Grados, which both seem a little cheaply built at times to me. In Grado's case, mostly because they are cheaply built.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #44 of 49
Yeah, the AD700 has a dip at 4 kHz (upper mids). Pretty well known and documented, I never realized people questioned it until this thread.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #45 of 49
Bump, in hope that either the original reviwer or any other owner of a AD700 will see my question:

Quote:

A question for the reviewer or any AD900 owner as well:

I read in some other thread, briefly, that the drivers on the AD700 are angled while the ones on the AD900 are not.

can you confirm that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back