A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846
Sep 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #47 of 135
I've got to start saving money to try out one of those beauties
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #48 of 135
cool, finally got them eh. great write-up.

quite enjoyed the K3003 when I heard them a while ago, don't think I'd like the 846 with that bass you're describing though... but I really should pop by the store with my RE-600 if you haven't heard those yet, if you'd like to compare.
kind of just faded away with those for a while. 
ph34r.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #49 of 135
Great write up!

I'm a bit upset that my ears no longer work with IEMs for some reason, otherwise, I'd be all over the new Shures.

Thanks for this!

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #50 of 135
  Great write up!

I'm a bit upset that my ears no longer work with IEMs for some reason, otherwise, I'd be all over the new Shures.

Thanks for this!

As in don't work ergonomically or you just can't get the sound anywhere a full size? The Shures are definitely cool if you're not keen on custom iem's. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 23, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #51 of 135
is the se846 the most humungus universal earphone going around? it dwarfs the k3003i.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #53 of 135

As in don't work ergonomically or you just can't get the sound anywhere a full size? The Shures are definitely cool if you're not keen on custom iem's. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As in I get medium to major inner ear pain after 15 minutes. 
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #54 of 135
is the se846 the most humungus universal earphone going around? it dwarfs the k3003i.

The custom-shell universals are generally bulkier and less comfortable. I've tried the TG!334, ASG-2 and 1+2 and they're not the most comfortable IEM's.

As in I get medium to major inner ear pain after 15 minutes. 
confused.gif

Dang, that's unfortunate!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 24, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #55 of 135
  The custom-shell universals are generally bulkier and less comfortable. I've tried the TG!334, ASG-2 and 1+2 and they're not the most comfortable IEM's.

Dang, that's unfortunate!

I actually find the 334 and 1Plus2 to be noticeably more comfortable than the AKG 3003. With the 3003 the metal housing would rub up against the inside area of my ear causing pain on short listening sessions. The 334 could cause some slight fatigue due to the suction it would give me from the seal. In regards to a universal and isolation it is the best I've used thus far in that regards.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #56 of 135

I actually find the 334 and 1Plus2 to be noticeably more comfortable than the AKG 3003. With the 3003 the metal housing would rub up against the inside area of my ear causing pain on short listening sessions. The 334 could cause some slight fatigue due to the suction it would give me from the seal. In regards to a universal and isolation it is the best I've used thus far in that regards.

When you auditioned the K3003s over a year ago, you claimed you were considering getting a pair. Strange that you would consider buying such an expensive product when you got "pain on short listening sessions".

I always found the K3003 more comfortable than the TG334.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #57 of 135

When you auditioned the K3003s over a year ago, you claimed you were considering getting a pair. Strange that you would consider buying such an expensive product when you got "pain on short listening sessions".

I always found the K3003 more comfortable than the TG334.

Well if you notice I never did buy them now did I? :wink:. Now while I did consider still getting a pair that doesn't take away from the fact that they did cause some pain in my ears due to the metal housing on short listening sessions. The sacrifices we make for sound quality. The 334 fit my ears like a glove. It's definitely a larger IEM overall but the shape contoured better to my ears.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #58 of 135

Well if you notice I never did buy them now did I? :wink:

No, you didn't buy them because at the time you claimed you'd found a new hybrid IEM you preferred sonically—a loaner IEM sent to you which later turned out to be the 1p2 v1 (before Tralucent was/became Tralucent).

Now while I did consider still getting a pair that doesn't take away from the fact that they did cause some pain in my ears due to the metal housing on short listening sessions. The sacrifices we make for sound quality.

Having a K3003 loaner for at least a week and still willing to spend $1,300 on an IEM that causes pain so quickly? I think that very few people, or no-one actually, would be willing to make such "sacrifices" after knowing in advance that an expensive IEM causes such pain.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #59 of 135
I bet you some probably would. Hell many purchase DAPs with half-baked UIs and deal with it because of the sound quality. As usual you're taking things over the top and making things personal. As I said even with the pain the housing did cause I still was considering getting them. Who knows maybe ordering more tips could have helped to rectify the issue. Note when I mention pain it's not like I'm dying but rather a bit uncomfortable. Putting them in and taking them out at that point would more so be the issue. But with them in place not as much of an issue.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #60 of 135
Great review, would be nice to know the msrp or price you purchased both items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back