A blast from my past...MDR-V6 revisted!
Sep 30, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #16 of 33
Given the thickness of the beyer pads compared to the sonys, I only imagine it would put the ear a little more away from the diaphragms. To me, it would seem less dark and maybe a bit more soundstage, but this could be some psychological thing that pulling the drivers away from my head just makes it more relaxing to listen to without the pressure against my head. I don't know, but either way, I could defintly use this added comfort very much.

Sep 30, 2001 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 33
Guys what about the next model up in the Sony line, MDR 7509:

sonymdr7509.jpg

Has anyone tried these, are they an improvement over 7506?
7509 has 50mm drivers vs 40mm for 7506, and it retails for $250 vs $190 for 7506.

At audioreview.com for some reason the 7506 gets much higher
review score vs V6 although as said here they appear to be the same model.

I tired the Sony V900 but the sound was soft/veiled with deep but not very detailed bass........like to give Sony another try.

BTW I hate those coiled cords Sony uses on many models.

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:17 PM Post #18 of 33
Unfortunately, the MDR-7509 isn't worth its $200+ price tag. Except for the colo(u)r of its shell and the sticker that says "Professional", the MDR-7509 is essentially the same headphone as the MDR-V900. Blech!

Sep 30, 2001 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

At audioreview.com for some reason the 7506 gets much higher
review score vs V6 although as said here they appear to be the same model.

They don't "appear" to be the same model -- they *are* the same model. Identical in every way except for the miniplug (it's silver on the V6, gold on the 7506).

I think sites like audioreview demonstrate the phenomenon that the more you spend, the less likely you are to criticize your purchase.

Sep 30, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I think sites like audioreview demonstrate the phenomenon that the more you spend, the less likely you are to criticize your purchase.

I also think at least a couple of the reviews under the V6 slot are actually for the V600.

Oct 1, 2001 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 33
You guys mentioned that the MDR-V6/7506 incorporate both, a supraaural and circumaural design...but even with the Beyer velour pads, it still is more supraaural...right?

Second, does the MDR-V600 have the same design as the V6/7506? ... I can only find the V600 in my area, so I might have to see how it would fits onto my head before buying a V6/7506.

Oct 1, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 33
The V600 will go around your entire ears...the V6/7506 are pretty strictly supras, unless you have REALLY small ears...

Oct 1, 2001 at 12:43 AM Post #23 of 33
Darn.. looking at the pics, they look fairly circumaural, but I guess they fit more or less like the Koss UR-20 I used to have. Now I can see where velour would easily best pleather..

Oct 1, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 33
i agree with vertigo-1 re: v6 sound; nice review. to those who say the v6 has harsh treble they may not be used to the sony "pro" sound, which is less finished (and perhaps more accurate for it) than some consumer cans.

using the included pleather pads, the cans were circumaural (for me, and just barely), but my ears touched the inside. with the beyer pads my ears no longer touch the inside, so the transducers are a little further away. i did notice the treble got a bit airier and the bass actually increased a bit. if anything the beyer mod give the v6 a warmer sound, as well as better comfort.

Oct 1, 2001 at 6:36 PM Post #26 of 33
W/ the pleather pads, my V6s are almost circumaural. Once I get the Beyer pads, I'm sure they'll be fully circumaural.

Oct 3, 2001 at 12:06 PM Post #27 of 33
Well, I just learned something very interesting. Don't ever listen to a pair of R10s and then jump to the V6s. It'll make the V6s sound extremely colored and inaccurate and brittle.
tongue.gif
Strange because I actually thought the V6 would be the more accurate of the two, but doing a quick swap showed that the R10s are WAY, WAY, WAY more accurate sounding. I guess the R10s aren't all musical after all...they're definitely extremely revealing, and sound more "true".

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 33
Hmmm...I'm going to have to scratch Dunlavy's from my list of wants...
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2001 at 6:48 PM Post #29 of 33
They are accurate....for the price. Just like KSC-35's are accurate for the price.

But like I said before, although I didn't have them too long (I tend to be lazy and only do long auditions of things I outright love and know I'll keep around for a long time) I felt that in comparison to other phones they are not the end-all of accuracy by any means. I personally couldn't figure out John Dunlavy's position...since, ummmm no matter how good they are, I still figured you should be able to discern differences between V6's and an orchestra. I mean if the pleather pads beating against your skull doesn't give it away.... I don't want to badmouth him or anything...but I still think discerning between V6 playing a recording and a LIVE performance is NOT hard no matter how much you love the V6. Dunlavy also seems to say that cables aren't very different besides a few technical values such as capacitance and resistance. Like a lot of hi-end gurus...they all are pretty quirky. IMO...there are VERY few people out there that would put on the V6 and say "Holy crap, this sounds REAL" (hmmm having re-read this statement and realizing given the typical competition of crappy headphones, I guess you could easily get this response...nevermind!). But if they were THAT good...no one would need any other headphone.

I dunno...I just think live performance puts such a high benchmark on things that is far too hasty to say that any equipment yet can reproduce and make it that difficult to discern. I've fooled around with my MD recorder and mics and listened through even Grados and felt...wow they sound pretty realistic! But you may not know this, but having actual "visual" cues and BEING at the place of the recording will actually color your perception and add to the realism. Our brain is far too complex, and truly doubt we can fully seperate visions, or even memories, from hearing. Likewise your PRESENCE in a recording situation will add to the realism. Which is why I can listen to a MD recording I created of random noise and identify what the sounds are...but give it to someone and they wouldn't know what the heck is going on.

Course the V6 are still accurate, and there are plenty of phones 2x or more in cost that wouldn't match it in that department whatsoever.

Oct 17, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 33
As a side note, I was just reading the October Stereophile and noticed that the MDR-7506 was listed in Class K in Headphones (Class K is "not yet reviewed but we have reason to believe may be excellent performers" -- i.e., one of the reviewers likes them a lot but they haven't printed an article yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back