A blast from my past...MDR-V6 revisted!
Sep 30, 2001 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Well, seeing as how MacDEF was offering a brand spanking new pair of V6s minus the hassle of having to deal with shipping companies and retailers, I just couldn't resist these "they're so cheap, just keep some in the house for crying out loud" ''phones.
wink.gif

So...since I am not being pressured anymore to upgrade to the next best thing, and my headphone "skills" have matured about 100 fold, here's my first impressions on them...all over again (I had a pair of 7506s before and didn't like them for some reason then).
biggrin.gif
This is also strictly a V6 standpoint...obviously I've got much better Sonys as MacDEF put it, but we're here today for the V6s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that I can take my sweet time with these, I certainly need to restate what I think about the treble. It ISN'T harsh or unrefined...in fact it's very nicely smooth. In fact I'm discovering these V6s are indeed very accurate...give them a song with GOBS of sibilance, and that's what you'll get...give them something with smooth treble, that's what you'll get. With that accuracy next comes a sense of balance...perfect treble, perfect midrange...ok the bass is something else maybe.
wink.gif
I stand by my old statement on the 7506, that the V6s STILL have the deepest sounding bass ever to make a statement on a headphone. The closest competitor to it is the Sennheiser HD-600, and those still don't come close to that sense of bass deepness you get with the V6s. Obviously the closed back helps of course to contain that skull jarring bass. Don't get me wrong though, the bass is far from being unrefined and flabby...it's incredibly neutral and tight. It just also simply packs a very awesome extension.

The soundstaging is quite excellent...obviously I'm not going to go and jump over to my Grados or Sennheisers in the middle of typing this though as that would ruin that idea. Overally the soundstage I would say is in your face...very contained, you get that left/center/right seperation very strongly. But, things are indeed seperated quite well

I must say I certainly miss these headphones! I should have never sold those 7506s, but that was back when I was trying to fund the next best thing. The truly closed back surprisingly helps to keep in certain last minute details that escape even the R10s, CD3000s, etc etc. There's just a sense of something extra lingering there just beyond your ear, something that's missing on the other 'phones. I wonder if this is just sounds echoing back in (bad) or if this is really something I couldn't hear before with the other 'phones.

Anyways, the V6s are downright one of the best values out there, bar none. People that own high end open air 'phones should seriously consider just keeping one of these around the house just to keep the sound of the world out occasionally. Heck anybody should.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 33
Vertigo-1: And the V6 and 7506, as you said, are the same d@mn headphone! I'd recommend buying the 7506's if you can't find the V6's. Don't buy the MDR-crapV600DJ - EVER!!

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

And the V6 and 7506, as you said, are the same d@mn headphone!

Agreed. From my memory of the 7506, the V6s are absolutely no different in sound. Same awesome bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 33
The Sony MDR-V6 is one of the best headphones ever made period. At twice the price they would still be a bargain. I'm probably going to try some more closed headphones just to compare but I doubt very much that they will be any better.

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 33
Ahh yesss, did I ever mention this headphone is a bloody tank?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
The Sony MDR-V6 is one of the best headphones ever made period. At twice the price they would still be a bargain. I'm probably going to try some more closed headphones just to compare but I doubt very much that they will be any better.

Mostly true - you'll have to spend at least $160 just to buy closed headphones that perform at least as well as the Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506 (which can be purchased at $100 or less).

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 33
I think the few complaints I had for the V6 would really be remedied with the Beyer pads. Are you gonna try them? I guess I just don't like the pleather fit. Also I would imagine that the Beyer pads gives the Sony's just a tad more breathing room for better soundstage! And if the bass is still as deep, but gives your brain a little trauma relief that would rock too.

BTW I saw the Sony's without pads and the shape wasn't all that generic so I always wondered how well Beyer pads would fit anyhow.

Also I think the Sony V6 manual is pretty funny because it talks about how its a "new design" that incorporates both supraaural and circumaural designs which it does. Its just funny however since the cans really aren't new. So would Beyer pads turn them into completely circumaural design?

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 33
Tim D: That Sony V6 manual itself is old - that model has been in production since 1985! That's 16 years ago! Very few headphone models have had such longetivity!

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

So would Beyer pads turn them into completely circumaural design?

Nope........they remain the same, only more comfy. The velour is so much softer and plush than that pleather stuff.

Thanks for the excellent review Vertigo. I've had these 'phones for 10 years now, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them.......and continue to do so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 33
I just got a pair of V6s today, so I'll throw in a few thoughts as well. For a little background, I used to have a pair of Denon 950s, and I still do have (strictly for gaming) a pair of Senn 200s. In a nutshell, I thought the 950s were on the warm side, w/ nice thumpy bass; however, I thought the instrument separation was lacking, and some details were getting lost. The Senn 200 seemed to have a digital sound (not natural), very upfront, quite detailed, w/ clear treble (not quite bright, but getting there).

I feel the V6 combine the best qualities of both. While they still don't sound natural, they don't sound digital either unless you're playing mp3s. Instrument separation, while not outstanding, is pretty darn good for a closed headphone. The highs are nice and clear, and it has very deep, impressive bass. Haven't listened to enough songs w/ different recording qualities to comment on exactly how transparent it is, but it seems pretty good in that area as well.

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by DesBen
You bastards! Now I'll have to buy myself a pair of V6 when Christmas comes around...
mad.gif

Increasing my person-factor
evil_smiley.gif

NOTE: For more more information on the cat who made that post click here.

Christmas fast approaches!
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 33
Bootman checks his can inventory:

Grados 225s check
Senns 580s check
AKG 501s check
Sonys .....

Damm I guess I'm getting some Sonys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back