A bit of a puzzle
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AP3X

Head-Fier
Hi guy's,
I am kinda new here and since I have joined I have purchased a Little Dot MK III, Astro Mixamp, BT880, HD650, AKG K701, HD595, HD600, Ultrasone 600 all of which has not been delivered yet. Clearly I will be returning most of this stuff except for the LD and 1 solid pair of headphones but I have to find out what suites my needs first

After doing tons of homework I have a bit of a puzzle that I can not seem to figure out.

I am looking for a multipurpose solution for Gaming and Music listening. I tried the HD650's without a amp both out of my X-FI and out of my Reference Marantz Receiver and did not like the dark sound and the artificial bass that seemed to be thre. This was before I bought the Little Dot which comes in next week.

The solution I need is a way to get Dolby Headphone for gaming while having a line out to my Little Dot to power some of the nicer headphones. neither the Mixamp nor the JVC Victor unit have a line out. You have to go out of the headphone jack to the headphones.

How do I achieve the best of both worlds and be able to leverage the external amp to have a great, detailed music listening experience and yet also be able to enable DH and enjoy my PC games? Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the trick is to not factor gaming into your headphone purchase

Really? how is that being that I need something that does DH with a line out to an external amp like the LD MKIII. I have ordered enough headphones to try and figure out the sound part but what do you guys think on the other issue?

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 7
honestly, in my experience dolby headphone is a poor DSP. the results for music sound artificial, and it is even worse for gaming, where often it contradicts what EAX has calculated, resulting in very poor orientation for determining the source of footsteps, gunshots, etc.

i'd frankly forget about DH

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Harmon Kardon receivers, such as AVR155 and AVR255 have Dolby Headphone but I'm not sure if it's headphone socket only or if you can send that to a line out.

Do you still have the mixamp? Try matching the volume output with a line out signal. It'll save you a lot of hassle if you find it acceptable.

It does spring to mind that you might just not like Dolby Headphone. You wouldn't be the first. (Edit: the previous poster mentioned EAX contradicting DH. It's certainly a factor with DH2 and DH3 in terms of reverb. I find DH1 isn't a problem though).

And was it necessary to start a whole other thread on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back