*~*_-++-_*~* Best Cable for AKG K701 / 702 ?!? *~*_-++-_*~*
Aug 19, 2010 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kouzelna

500+ Head-Fier

atsmile.gif
 ​
Hey hey, just wondering what y'all think is the very best of the best cable for spiffing up my AKG K701.  I'm using a Glow Audio One tube amp, and (sadly - but unchangeably) my Nano / SendStation as a source.  (I listen to Vocal Trance with headphones, and they are all 256K MP3 rips).

I've in the serious stages of considering a Black Dragon, as Drew over at Moon Audio says it rocks for the K701, improving all the can's weak points (weak bass, slightly recessed mids, mild "plasticky" or "cheap" sound).

Also, anyone got a line on affordable ($40/pr. or so) K702 pads, to give my 701 that fancy dress look?

OK, so as far as cables changing the sound go:

What I love about the K701 (using the Glow as amp, Nano/Send Station as source): 
k701smile.gif

1.  Awesome soundstage

2.  Amazing detail and accuracy

3.  Light, but detailed and tight, bass

4.  Beautiful highs - not shrill to me (DT880 was SHRIIIIIIIIIIL!)

5.  Sweet midranges for female vocals

All in all, just a truly wonderful, airy, spacious, accurate and musical sounding can.

What I'd improve about the K701:  
tongue_smile.gif

1.  A bit closer mids; like the HD650, M50, AD2000, or the like

2.  A little bit warmer sound overall, like the M50 but NOT like the HD650 (too dull sounding)

3.  Ice-cold root beer on tap

What I DON'T WANT to accidentally do:  
eek.gif

1.  Beef up the bass - I have ear damage that can't handle it.  I would love to "fill out" the bass, maybe, but not give it stronger slam, or make it bloated.

2.  Kill the general sound sig: airy sound, detail, soundstage, etc.

3.  Make the highs sound shrill

So my question is, how do you feel the Black Dragon specifically stacks up to these requirements?  And/or, any other cable?

Thanks so much!!!!  
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 20
Stock cable. Why? Transfers the few mW in question thoroughly 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 20
I've never been so happy with a set up that I've thought "wow, if I could just find the right cable, this would be a 100% perfect set up!" You may not hear any difference at all even though you may want to because you've just spent a lot of cash on a nice-looking wire. I think cable upgrades should be the last thing on your list.  I have my doubts that a cable can cure "all the can's weak points" if you're ignoring your source (which isn't an amp, btw) and amp.  That's where I'd put the money first.

Cable upgrades have their place, I just don't think you're there yet.  I'm not there yet, either.

Fortunately, it's your money and you can spend it as you please. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 20
People keep talking about how good their headphones sound after a cable change, but has anyone ever went back after a cable change to see if the changes perceived are actually real?

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

atsmile.gif
 ​
Hey hey, just wondering what y'all think is the very best of the best cable for spiffing up my K701?  And I assume balancing is useless without a balanced source, yes?  

I'm using a Glow Audio One tube amp as my source, and have been considering a Black Dragon, as Drew over at Moon Audio says it rocks for the K701, improving all the can's weak points (weak bass, slightly recessed mids, mild "plasticky" or "cheap" sound).

If you're hearing the plasticky side of the K-701, I don't think a cable or anything short of a graphic equalizer will make much of a difference.  I agonized over that problem with the K-701.  I've run them off of several different amps and many more at meets.  I've also heard recabled versions which still displayed the problems in the mids.

Though the character of the bass changed a bit depending on the amp, the mids never got to where they were acceptable.

If you really want to clear those things up, I'd highly recommend finding a pair of K-501s for sale.  The K-501 excels everywhere the K-701 falls down.

As for going balanced, be sure to do your homework, read the threads discussing balanced operation and - more than anything - make sure that whatever you buy actually is balanced.  There's a lot of single-ended gear with XLR jacks marketed as balanced and priced accordingly.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
So you're gonna ignore the advice about getting a better source or better matching amp and go for a cable upgrade... lol.
normal_smile .gif

I don't see how he can't go through that later; you make it seem like the cable upgrade is a waste of time and money. Not everyone is obligated to go down the same route as you did poor.

Quote:
People keep talking about how good their headphones sound after a cable change, but has anyone ever went back after a cable change to see if the changes perceived are actually real?

Yep. I constantly went back and forth between my Blue-Dragon and stock for various genres until I just settled with the Blue0Dragon because it's just better overall IMO.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 20
I'm a little bummed about the recurrent "source/amp" thingy.  I mean I'm not gonna kill myself over it, but... it's happening in another 701 thread I have posted as well.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

1.  My source is my source.  I listen primarily to Vocal Trance when I use headphones.  These tracks come from various sources on the web, are all 256K MP3 whether I like it or not, and have to be played (I assume) through either a computer or an MP3 player.  It's not that I don't want a Krell CD Transport unit... but that's the reality here.

So unless I'm missing something.... That's my source!

2.  I like my amp.  I spent a lot of time, effort and money finding the right amp.  This is the right amp.  I like it.  I'm not going to change it.  It's the one I like.  Need I say more?

If I get the chance to hear a variety of other amps, tube/SS/or monkey butt, and they sound better than my amp with the K701, and are remotely affordable and practical, then COOL!  But until then, it's the Glow Audio One for me, and I suggest all folks that raise an eyebrow to go and hear it yourself before you decide.  

Woo may be cool, and there are better SS amps out there for sure somewhere, but when it comes to a combination of sound, accuracy, non-coloration, soundstage presentation and also devoted customer service, I've had nothing but awesome results with Glow.

Anyway, all in good fun guys, I'm not mad.  But one more post and THAT DOES IT!  
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 20
BTW:  I found Erik's post really helpful.  Though no, I'm not going to get a 501 based on the research I did comparing the two units on HeadFi.  

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, though, Erik.  I appreciate it.

And YoungSpade, that's exactly the info I needed.  But I'm going to check into Mogami just to be sure, and I'm really hoping other Head-Fiers will post their own experiences with other cables.  The idea for me is to IMPROVE the sound I like, but not so change the sound signature of the 701 that I now have, basically, another headphone that I don't like.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 20
I have two identical K701s. They are both balanced with a brand name aftermarket cable. I find the Silver Dragon cabled pair to sound noticeably better (louder, greater dynamics) than the copper APS cabled pair. Out of the same source and amplifier, which is a WA22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back