$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Oct 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 6,549
Looks like Sabre implementation
For this price point.. It should be considered as TOTL DAP... Interested

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 6,549
The pricing and THD+N measurements feel like a big middle finger directed right at iRiver. Just sayin'. This thing beats the AK120 on features, specs, and price.

Well, the output voltage is really low, which may account for the superiority of the THD+N, though, so more evidence is necessary. Calyx has ample experience with ESS chipsets (AFAIK, all of their products use them), however, so I trust that they'll do a good job. Low output voltage isn't a bad thing for IEM users, though.

Astell&Kern still has the cleaner and more consistent overall design philosophy, but everyone's tastes are different. I quite like these renders of the Calyx M myself.

Too bad I'm not really into "premium" DAPs.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 6,549
Mimouille said:
   With something so thin I am more worried about the amp.

Usually, capacitors take up the most space (everything else should be fine with good quality SMD components). I think there's enough room for some nice capacitors to fit, if not quite Sony levels of Sanyo OS-CAP obsessiveness. If you're thinking about how it compares to the HM-901, there's actually a lot of "wasted space" in the 901 to make it modular enough to accept different amp cards and that massive battery.

Besides, what's there to worry about? It's not like you're about to run an LCD-3 off that thing. Your 1Plus2 will run fine.
o2smile.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 6,549

Usually, capacitors take up the most space (everything else should be fine with good quality SMD components). I think there's enough room for some nice capacitors to fit, if not quite Sony levels of Sanyo OS-CAP obsessiveness. If you're thinking about how it compares to the HM-901, there's actually a lot of "wasted space" in the 901 to make it modular enough to accept different amp cards and that massive battery.

Besides, what's there to worry about? It's not like you're about to run an LCD-3 off that thing. Your 1Plus2 will run fine.
o2smile.gif

Even with iems, I found that brick daps with a true amp (901, DX100) sound better and have more authority than more compact DAPs (AK100 and 120 and the like). The only exception is the Tera, but it still lacks power.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 6,549

Well, let's hope that Calyx comes through with its speaker pedigree.

Between this and the ZX1, if I find a DAP that is as good as the 901 in terms of SQ or almost as good, but with a great UI and at least 10 hours of battery, I will be happy. And by happy I mean VERY happy. But honestly, once you have heard the 901, it is hard to listen to something that sounds less good.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 6,549
  Between this and the ZX1, if I find a DAP that is as good as the 901 in terms of SQ or almost as good, but with a great UI and at least 10 hours of battery, I will be happy. And by happy I mean VERY happy. But honestly, once you have heard the 901, it is hard to listen to something that sounds less good.

I've heard the 901 with an RE-600. It does sound excellent, but I've only heard it with the balanced card, so it's not an accurate take on how it sounds in general. I have not heard the IEM card, but I do know it's SMD components all around --- very few "large" components IIRC.

Mostly, however, I find the UI and general shape to be quite clunky. It doesn't at all feel like something I'd ever take outdoors. I find the X3 a bit bulky already, so I'm more than willing to sacrifice SQ for portability. This one looks like it's a nice combination of everything. I have my heart set on the NW-F886 already, though (supposed massive inferiority compared to the ZX1 and all). I actually have a special pouch that I use with my messenger bag shoulder strap to carry DAPs in, but it only works with thin DAPs like the iPod Touch and F880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back