$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #5,312 of 6,549
I sent fw to one guy but he happened to have SD Card problems and mistook the issue with my FW. I helped him fixed SD Card problems now and hope he'll give it a try soon.

Regards,
Windows X

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #5,313 of 6,549
  Any news on the windowsx fw upgrade? Would much appreciate any impressions...

I sent fw to one guy but he happened to have SD Card problems and mistook the issue with my FW. I helped him fixed SD Card problems now and hope he'll give it a try soon.

Regards,
Windows X

Hi, so sorry about the whole long problem filled process. In the process of actually putting in firmware and reflashing over and over, somehow 2 SD cards and 1 MicroSD card of mine were corrupted (probably by my SD card readers (yes I have 2)). I have since done away with them and got a kingston one to replace them. I flashed WindowsX's firmware into my calyx m with v1.01 firmware on it and it now works. Since my cards were corrupted, I also had to spend a significant amount of hours slowly putting back my music into the Calyx M. I am glad to say that everything now works and it seems like my irritation towards the modded firmware was completely unfounded. Anyways, enough blubbering on, nobody cares about this bit anyways haha. 

Upon booting up, I noticed that my calyx m seems slightly more laggy than before (not sure if its because i forgot how slow it usually is or if its actually mildly more laggy on the interface but it definitely felt a tad smidge laggier to me). I then started listening to music on my dita, and what i noticed is that the background is more quiet than before and instruments seem more defined than before. I am trying to get @audionewbi to meet up with me tomorrow to do a head to head comparison to follow up. It seems there are noticeable improvements even with a casual listen guys!

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #5,315 of 6,549
I played around with Calyx M firmware today. As some customers requested me to do something about backlight, I enabled adb debugging to check backlight section. I can access backlight section from

/sys/devices/platform/m805_892x-backlight.0/leds/lcd-backlight

However, Calyx M doesn't support backlight dimming. It's 0 when screen is off and 20 when screen is on. I tried lowering value to 10 5 and 0 respectively but no changes to main screen backlight. Adjusting max_brightness is impossible too even with root access.

I also noticed that most of my patches didn't run on Calyx M. I'm fixing script execution right now and it should work better for next update.

Regards,
Windows X

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #5,317 of 6,549
so sorry about the delay

i spent a few hours last week with a friend at an audio store listening to the stock and the WindowsX firmware modded Calyx Ms (this way we could compare directly). 

While a portion of the time spent there was spent charging the DAP (thanks Calyx M battery life), we were able to get some impressions from it. 

Overall, the WindowsX firmware offered several improvements over the stock version 1.01

Noise floor reduced

Layering improved

Highs more defined

Sharper roll off
thanks

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #5,318 of 6,549
I am trying to update the firmware and my Calyx isn't finding it. I dragged the file from my computer to the Calyx internal memory but it's not finding it. The only directories I see is the music directory. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ken

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #5,319 of 6,549
I've finished modding Calyx M for @HeavenMore and expect another device to come by soon. Here's what I've done so far.

I can see Calyx M has sophisticated software design with its own home player UI and audio engine with native DSD playback. Optimizing firmware needs some painkillers. Device is smoking hot and lags like hell after optimizing for best sound quality for playback with charging. After long days of research for firmware improvements, I managed to get smoother UI, stable performance with massive tweaks for audio improvements while being battery friendly (It doesn't even get warm from charging and playing at the same time).

Now let's see what I did for hardware parts. There's a few issues with Calyx M from my listening tests with firmware optimizations. First issue is about unstable output power. It sounds similar to bypassed resistor mod on AK100. I fine-tuned output current in output stage to have more balancing load. It improves focus and imaging.

Next is the issue about power load balancing of DAC/analog stage. Stock Calyx M sounds like it's some what muddy with strange glare sound. No matter how hard I try to fix it it with FW mod, this always annoys me to the point that I can't enjoy Calyx M. Maybe it's Korea's sound signature. I'm not sure but I tuned power supply on DAC/analog stage to fix this and it sounds really great to my ears now.

I hope I can send it back to @HeavenMore soon with a lot of thanks to him so that I can have a good time tinkering with Calyx M again. :)

Regards,
Windows X

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #5,322 of 6,549
  My IEMS have an impedance of 16 ohms. Is using the Mid setting on the Calyx the one to go with? I find that the sound is kind of muddy at the low setting.

It really makes not different, those setting just change the gain. I normally use low impedance unless I want louder sound.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #5,324 of 6,549

Actually switching it from low to mid gave my A12's more and better highs. The volume is about the same on the slider. It seems to drive them better.

A12, lucky son of a gun, that combo must be killer. I normally use high impedance with anything over 12 ohm. I am certain the changes in those three option arent anything but just a eq or gain tweaking. 

Currently calyx M is my favourite portable audiophile dap, followed by S6 and LPG. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back