$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 16, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #2,716 of 6,549
 Also IMO, another strange feature should be dropped or configurable, sometimes the beginning of the first track played fades in. The D&A president says it is for headphone/IEM users, but I think it's pointless.  

I see why they did it but i agree with you that it is pointless. I don't think it would bother me much though.

It is disappointing that they have bugs.. i thought Calyx would be different than the others.

I think all those following the thread just really want some decent impressions of the sound quality and comparisons to other DAPs. Just straight to IEMs or Cans. Well, at least that is what i am waiting for.

May 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,718 of 6,549
  Which player is better,AK120 or this ? 

And what are the important differences ? 

More importantly, how is the Calyx M comparing to the new AK players... the AK100 II and AK120II...
UI wise, the AK players are exactly the same as the AK240 with a big touchscreen and the AK100II is the same price as the M...

May 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #2,719 of 6,549
More importantly, how is the Calyx M comparing to the new AK players... the AK100 II and AK120II...
UI wise, the AK players are exactly the same as the AK240 with a big touchscreen and the AK100II is the same price as the M...

Unfortunately no native DSD or 32bit 384khz. But other than that, I'd pick the AK over the M any time in regards to UI, design and features. I'm sure SQ will be equally impressive.

May 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2,722 of 6,549
IMO iRiver missed a chance by implementing the CL DDs instead of the ESS one, to me maybe and that's a big maybe it would have been worth it's price. Nothing bad about the CS implementation, I believe they have done the best they could under the circumstances. D&A should have implemented something similar to the DX90 ESS DDs but with a killer SQ, I would have felt the price to be more in line with the asking, just a thought.

D&A claiming they found a bug in the ESS chip makes me wonder if that was a publicity stunt, why is that iBasso isn't claiming the same times twice? :D

May 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,723 of 6,549
A lot of people do not like the Sabre sound.  Me included.  The 2M is supposed to be better but I haven't heard one yet so... meh.  Doubling up doesn't change that, it makes it worse.  Hence why Burson only uses 2 of the 8 channels on the 9018S :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #2,724 of 6,549
As good as the  M  may be, for me it is too late: I love too much the sound of my HUGO, and since the  M  do not have Digital Out, I am using a AK100 as a source and plan to move to AK120-II to benefit from the bigger screen and better UI.  If only  M  has digital out to pair with my HUGO !  ( OUPS ! sorry...to bring this back :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,725 of 6,549
  I am using a AK100 as a source and plan to move to AK120-II to benefit from the bigger screen and better UI.

Why?  Just get the AK100II.  As a transport there is 0 difference other than memory capacity.

May 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,726 of 6,549

Why?  Just get the AK100II.  As a transport there is 0 difference other than memory capacity.

memory is indeed the issue since they (Stupidly) reduced the number of Micro-SD slots from 2 to... only 1 !!

May 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,727 of 6,549
  memory is indeed the issue since they (Stupidly) reduced the number of Micro-SD slots from 2 to... only 1 !!

I'm a little out-of-the-loop on this, since I don't follow the iRiver threads. I don't wish to go too far off-topic, within this Calyx thread, but can you briefly elaborate on what model has had a reduction in memory slots?

Cheers!

So far, in terms of considering only the topic of memory capacity, I feel D&A have taken the most sensible approach I have yet seen on an audiophile DAP. One MicroSD + one fullsize SD + 64gb onboard is an excellent solution.

Even better, would be what I requested in the X7 (and 'pure transport') threads - I don't mind which manufacturer does it (apart from iRiver whom I view with utter contempt), but I would like to see, very soon in the DAP marketplace, provision for an mSATA card slot, so that DAP customers can buy up to a TB of memory, when they wish, to have a truly worthwhile hi-res library in their pocket device.

But, right at this moment, I still commend D&A for their memory solution on the M.

May 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,728 of 6,549

I'm a little out-of-the-loop on this, since I don't follow the iRiver threads. I don't wish to go too far off-topic, within this Calyx thread, but can you briefly elaborate on what model has had a reduction in memory slots?

Cheers!

So far, in terms of considering only the topic of memory capacity, I feel D&A have taken the most sensible approach I have yet seen on an audiophile DAP. One MicroSD + one fullsize SD + 64gb onboard is an excellent solution.

Even better, would be what I requested in the X7 (and 'pure transport') threads - I don't mind which manufacturer does it (apart from iRiver whom I view with utter contempt), but I would like to see, very soon in the DAP marketplace, provision for an mSATA card slot, so that DAP customers can buy up to a TB of memory, when they wish, to have a truly worthwhile hi-res library in their pocket device.

But, right at this moment, I still commend D&A for their memory solution on the M.

I believe he was referring to the new AK DAPs which only have 1 microSD slot compared to the older versions with 2 slots.

May 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #2,730 of 6,549

Well, my "old" AK100 has 2 micro-SD slots, and the V2 has only one !  same thing for AK120 v/s AK120-II!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back