$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 24, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,306 of 6,549
Wasn't there a presentation in Korea on Saturday? I thought I could google some initial reviews by searching within 24 hours. But still, no info, not even in Korean language. And the CES review was only about the look, desigh, UI, etc. I wonder who actually demos M :frowning2:?? Please share with us.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #1,308 of 6,549
  your not too alone - i agree - lets just wait and see, the ergonomics may just be perfect

I too believe the button layout wont be anywhere near as much an issue as you guys seem to be trumpeting. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

I still think those buttons should have been raised, not a deal breaker but just something that would make it easier.

Won't execute the iPhone 5 missing play/rev/fwd buttons (I guess it's ok because it's a phone) but at least they got the form factor right.

Why must we bring that horrid atrosity into the picture again?

Looks like 128GB is out!  Nice great for this unit I think.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/sandisk-128GB/

Took them long enough. Gonna have to snag me a few :D If I'm not to off my rocker, most newer devices should be fully compatible with the thing.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,310 of 6,549
I too believe the button layout wont be anywhere near as much an issue as you guys seem to be trumpeting. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

Why must we bring that horrid atrosity into the picture again?

Took them long enough. Gonna have to snag me a few :D If I'm not to off my rocker, most newer devices should be fully compatible with the thing.

Most older devices too. My 64gb card has worked with devices from like 2008...

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,311 of 6,549
Looks like they are going to start with a 100 unit run for reviews then another 3000 unit run, below was from face book page translated with Google translate:

M production? 1. Reviews for global production: 100. 2. Mass production: 3000. available. Reference.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #1,314 of 6,549
Wasn't there a presentation in Korea on Saturday? I thought I could google some initial reviews by searching within 24 hours. But still, no info, not even in Korean language. And the CES review was only about the look, desigh, UI, etc. I wonder who actually demos M
frown.gif
?? Please share with us.

Yes there was a sneak peak at the M in Korea this weekend but so far not a peep about the sound.

So might take end of may or anytime june to hit the consumers after reviews,bug fixing,stable fw etc.....

I would be sorely disappointed i the Calyx firmware was full of bugs. I expect it to be in a league above the likes of iBasso and Fiio and i feel very confident it will be.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,315 of 6,549
Wasn't there a presentation in Korea on Saturday? I thought I could google some initial reviews by searching within 24 hours. But still, no info, not even in Korean language. And the CES review was only about the look, desigh, UI, etc. I wonder who actually demos M
frown.gif
?? Please share with us.

Hi, I am the one who actually participate in the calyx M presentation. I took park in the second session at 4 pm. To tell the truth, I was sorry to say that most of the participants were only able to listen the songs for 5 to 10 minutes. Anyway, here is my first impressions for you guys. Follow that URL, please. I hope that this would help you to understand about it.

http://blog.naver.com/criketgo/110185977226

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #1,316 of 6,549
frown.gif
?? Please share with us.

I tried to link my English simple reviews in my blogs. But I tried to link, Head-Fi took this in the judgements.... Embarassed!!

So without the picture, I will move my words to here anyway. If you know the Korean websearching portal, NAVER, please search the 'Participation on the Calyx M presentation'
And you will see my review with some pictures.

Hi, there. I am called Maxlight in Korea as a nick. I am also the member of the head-fi community. Actually, I am not really good at English. Although the some of the wrong grammar would be really awkward for you guys, I begger your understanding before I begin. :)

I was able to participate in the presentation of the new DAP, Calyx M. There were about the 10 guys who were waitng for their ears to feel the new sounds of it. I was the one of that guy too, because I reserved the early promotion in Korea which would be produced around middle of April this year. Some of the guys were already noticed, today, 'Digital and Analog (the name of company' said that 100 for reviewers worldwide and 3,000 initial products are planned. I noticed that mine would the 52th one followed by the order of sending them the money. The promotion prices were fantastic (about $700 US only in February (DOMESTIC ONLY!!)). I am not sure the same promotion would be also adjustable for the global market. Hang on there~!

If you are really interested in the products of this company, you would be heard of their reference DAC, Femto. I could see those DAC. I could not listen, but it was attractable. Another their DAC so called 'DAC 24/192' and 'Calyx Kong'. Paradoxically, except Kong, the brand 'Calyx' is not familiar with even the audiophiles. The CEO also said that most of their products (99%) is exported, not for Korea. By the way, I was interested in their DACs except Kong and Coffee (not shown here) because I knew that they used very unique DAC chips from the SABRE. For example, they implemented the reference DAC ES9018 to Femto and ES9023 (not sure about this) to 24/192 as world premiere. Probably, most of you guys are well recognized of DAC chipset of Calyx M, ES9018K2M. This the stereo version of ES9018. So I guess that most of the algorithms would be shared with ES9018. How is it nice for Calyx M to share the very similar chipset with Femto DAC. But I was also interested about the traditional DAC type such as '24/192' because I am now using Musiland MD11 (DAC) for my speakers (ELAC BS184 and Dali Mentor Menuet). However, I could hear the very nice and unexpected answer from the CEO.

"Calyx M as USB DAC will provide even better than 24/192. I guarantee this. In addition, I think that I can say that Calyx M will sound better than any DACs under $2,000 US."

We know that most of the CEO as the top seller are usually proud of their products, he suggested the more specific numbers. So from his mention, I nodded that the level of calyx M would not be so lower than any other competitor such as AK120 and Sony NWZ-ZX1. So I was anxious to use and listen to it!!

However, there was only one DEMO available!!! Because of the hard limitation, Only one man can listen to it about 5 to 10 minutes. And I could only listen the imbedded musics (DSD, 24/192 and 16/44.1)!!! So my first impressions would not involve the whole sound of Calyx M. Anyway, The sound of calyx M moves toward the Hi-Fi thoroughly compared to other competitors such as AK120 and ZX1. The sound was felt with accuracy and high-dynamics between background and every single sound. without any background noise (Noise control in pause was amazing even in the maximmum power. No noise detectable at all~!), The voice of Norah Jones were with plenty of flowing and smooth with tightly bounded from the other sounds and very detailed. I could feel the overwhelming naturality through the bass to treble. The bass was deep and neat enough to say that this is in the territory of the high-end. No coloration on middle and lower high range, very accurate tonality which is extended to ultratreble without any emphasis or an sibilance. I previously experienced that the sounds of high-end or high-fidelity is well-characterized that middles and highs are not felt to be separated or independent in a song but to be mixed well to achieve naturality. From the ear cans, I could only feel these sounds through LCD-X via NAIM DAC-V1 in my listening experience. I think this character is one of the factors which true HI-FI or HI-END sounds mush have to achieve the naturality of the sound. But connecting the Calyx M to Sennheiser HD700 occupied some of those realms. When I usually listened to HD700 with my MD11 (5.5mm output is very humble contrast to line-out), it never happened even though I listened to 24/192 files bought from 2L. However I am not sure that this is achieved not by the device but by the music file itself yet because the total maximum 10 minutes listening was allowed for me. But anyway, I was considerably satisfied with the musicality of Calyx M. Furthermore, I could partially agree with the mention from the CEO (better than any DACs under $2,000 US), at least.

Sliding volume control, it was nice for me to control the volume easily and nicely with proper tension to move up or down. But we will see.

I forgot to tell the power!!, 1.25V at 16ohms. The CEO said HD600 from Sennheiser and LCD-2 from Audeze is adjustable to Calyx M without any help from amplifying devices. Because he explained some interesting stuff about the output power.

"The output voltage is fixed. it gives 1.25V at 16ohm. But it has 1.25V even at 300ohm. Only differences are the electric current. But the outpower is determined by voltage, so please don't worry about the capacity of driving in Calyx M."

I still wonder about the headphones such as AKG K1000 and HiFiMan HE-6. But in case of HD700, 40~50% power is enough to listen properly. More than 70% power, I could not bear the big dB. Considering the impedance of HD700 is 150 ohms, Many full-sized headphones would be covered by Calyx M.

User interface (UI) was not so fast as you expected if you are familiar with iPhones or recent Android ones. I am not sure but I think that It would be in comparable to Galaxy S initial models. Unique OS were unique but not bad except folder searching is not equipped yet. Folder search would be added later because all participants were strongly positive about it. If someone is expecting a fancy equlizer function, you should turn your head to AK series, FiiO X5 or ZX1. Calyx M does not provide equalizer at all. Because equalizer itself distort original sound. The CEO also added that equalizer addition without distortion cost too much only for used in professional levels. Think about the most high-end DACs. Pretty much of them does not provide equalizer too!

I felt the Calyx M sounds amazing for Hi-Fi users especially on people who are intimate with the Hi-End or Hi-Fi speaker sound. But with the another experience with Sony ZX1, Calyx M might not the best solution for the one who is much favored for personal audio with portable devices. I recommend them to use ZX1 than Calyx M. However, if someone is eager to feel the natural and analog-like sound, Calyx M would be the one. Thank you :)

Oh I forgot! (Addition) I should add! I also tested XBA-4 for BA adaptation to ouput impedance. In the case of XBA-4, No sound distortion was heard. Their spec, output impedance O may be right.

Sorry, I have not listened to AK240. Do not ask me about the AK240.   :)

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,317 of 6,549

I tried to link my English simple reviews in my blogs. But I tried to link, Head-Fi took this in the judgements.... Embarassed!!

So without the picture, I will move my words to here anyway. If you know the Korean websearching portal, NAVER, please search the 'Participation on the Calyx M presentation'
And you will see my review with some pictures.

Hi, there. I am called Maxlight in Korea as a nick. I am also the member of the head-fi community. Actually, I am not really good at English. Although the some of the wrong grammar would be really awkward for you guys, I begger your understanding before I begin. :)

I was able to participate in the presentation of the new DAP, Calyx M. There were about the 10 guys who were waitng for their ears to feel the new sounds of it. I was the one of that guy too, because I reserved the early promotion in Korea which would be produced around middle of April this year. Some of the guys were already noticed, today, 'Digital and Analog (the name of company' said that 100 for reviewers worldwide and 3,000 initial products are planned. I noticed that mine would the 52th one followed by the order of sending them the money. The promotion prices were fantastic (about $700 US only in February (DOMESTIC ONLY!!)). I am not sure the same promotion would be also adjustable for the global market. Hang on there~!

If you are really interested in the products of this company, you would be heard of their reference DAC, Femto. I could see those DAC. I could not listen, but it was attractable. Another their DAC so called 'DAC 24/192' and 'Calyx Kong'. Paradoxically, except Kong, the brand 'Calyx' is not familiar with even the audiophiles. The CEO also said that most of their products (99%) is exported, not for Korea. By the way, I was interested in their DACs except Kong and Coffee (not shown here) because I knew that they used very unique DAC chips from the SABRE. For example, they implemented the reference DAC ES9018 to Femto and ES9023 (not sure about this) to 24/192 as world premiere. Probably, most of you guys are well recognized of DAC chipset of Calyx M, ES9018K2M. This the stereo version of ES9018. So I guess that most of the algorithms would be shared with ES9018. How is it nice for Calyx M to share the very similar chipset with Femto DAC. But I was also interested about the traditional DAC type such as '24/192' because I am now using Musiland MD11 (DAC) for my speakers (ELAC BS184 and Dali Mentor Menuet). However, I could hear the very nice and unexpected answer from the CEO.

"Calyx M as USB DAC will provide even better than 24/192. I guarantee this. In addition, I think that I can say that Calyx M will sound better than any DACs under $2,000 US."

We know that most of the CEO as the top seller are usually proud of their products, he suggested the more specific numbers. So from his mention, I nodded that the level of calyx M would not be so lower than any other competitor such as AK120 and Sony NWZ-ZX1. So I was anxious to use and listen to it!!

However, there was only one DEMO available!!! Because of the hard limitation, Only one man can listen to it about 5 to 10 minutes. And I could only listen the imbedded musics (DSD, 24/192 and 16/44.1)!!! So my first impressions would not involve the whole sound of Calyx M. Anyway, The sound of calyx M moves toward the Hi-Fi thoroughly compared to other competitors such as AK120 and ZX1. The sound was felt with accuracy and high-dynamics between background and every single sound. without any background noise (Noise control in pause was amazing even in the maximmum power. No noise detectable at all~!), The voice of Norah Jones were with plenty of flowing and smooth with tightly bounded from the other sounds and very detailed. I could feel the overwhelming naturality through the bass to treble. The bass was deep and neat enough to say that this is in the territory of the high-end. No coloration on middle and lower high range, very accurate tonality which is extended to ultratreble without any emphasis or an sibilance. I previously experienced that the sounds of high-end or high-fidelity is well-characterized that middles and highs are not felt to be separated or independent in a song but to be mixed well to achieve naturality. From the ear cans, I could only feel these sounds through LCD-X via NAIM DAC-V1 in my listening experience. I think this character is one of the factors which true HI-FI or HI-END sounds mush have to achieve the naturality of the sound. But connecting the Calyx M to Sennheiser HD700 occupied some of those realms. When I usually listened to HD700 with my MD11 (5.5mm output is very humble contrast to line-out), it never happened even though I listened to 24/192 files bought from 2L. However I am not sure that this is achieved not by the device but by the music file itself yet because the total maximum 10 minutes listening was allowed for me. But anyway, I was considerably satisfied with the musicality of Calyx M. Furthermore, I could partially agree with the mention from the CEO (better than any DACs under $2,000 US), at least.

Sliding volume control, it was nice for me to control the volume easily and nicely with proper tension to move up or down. But we will see.

I forgot to tell the power!!, 1.25V at 16ohms. The CEO said HD600 from Sennheiser and LCD-2 from Audeze is adjustable to Calyx M without any help from amplifying devices. Because he explained some interesting stuff about the output power.

"The output voltage is fixed. it gives 1.25V at 16ohm. But it has 1.25V even at 300ohm. Only differences are the electric current. But the outpower is determined by voltage, so please don't worry about the capacity of driving in Calyx M."

I still wonder about the headphones such as AKG K1000 and HiFiMan HE-6. But in case of HD700, 40~50% power is enough to listen properly. More than 70% power, I could not bear the big dB. Considering the impedance of HD700 is 150 ohms, Many full-sized headphones would be covered by Calyx M.

User interface (UI) was not so fast as you expected if you are familiar with iPhones or recent Android ones. I am not sure but I think that It would be in comparable to Galaxy S initial models. Unique OS were unique but not bad except folder searching is not equipped yet. Folder search would be added later because all participants were strongly positive about it. If someone is expecting a fancy equlizer function, you should turn your head to AK series, FiiO X5 or ZX1. Calyx M does not provide equalizer at all. Because equalizer itself distort original sound. The CEO also added that equalizer addition without distortion cost too much only for used in professional levels. Think about the most high-end DACs. Pretty much of them does not provide equalizer too!

I felt the Calyx M sounds amazing for Hi-Fi users especially on people who are intimate with the Hi-End or Hi-Fi speaker sound. But with the another experience with Sony ZX1, Calyx M might not the best solution for the one who is much favored for personal audio with portable devices. I recommend them to use ZX1 than Calyx M. However, if someone is eager to feel the natural and analog-like sound, Calyx M would be the one. Thank you :)

Sorry, I have not listened to AK240. Do not ask me about the AK240.   :)

This is amazing... I start thinking of this over the dx90....

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,319 of 6,549
Thanks for the impressions but a couple of notes. The 9018k2m is not just a stereo version of the standard 9018 but a different DAC that is keeping the 9018 name to simply designate it as top of the low current draw and small size range. Closer to a 9012 with bit less DNR. Nothing wrong with that other than the confusion it may cause. It's topology is still similar as are all the better Sabre DACs It's a great choice for this purpose.

I also didn't understand this. "Calyx M as USB DAC will provide even better than 24/192. I guarantee this." Could be a language thing but I doubt it will offers more than 24/192 via usb, nor should it need to.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,320 of 6,549

Thank you very much for making the effort to post your experience... It sounds like Calyx have nailed it. 

It is a pity you haven't heard the AK240 to compare it with. I wonder if any other participants made comment comparing the two players. 

Also, i wonder if the CEO wasn't referring to the AK240 when he said best sounding DAP under $2000 since to my knowledge the AK240 s the only one over that price.
Was that a concession that th AK240 may sound better ?  I know you can't answer that, Just rhetorical musing.

Actually i re read your post and realize he was talking about the M as a USB Dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back