$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 11, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #916 of 6,549
Same here, I also liked those descriptions. I have my high hopes in this dap. If it gives what we are hoping (or maybe even more than we hope) I might prevent myself buying X5 and saving a bit more for M + some cards. It is going to be worth it I believe/hope.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #917 of 6,549
This player seems to be well thought out and as such should sound really good on it's own. About the only point I can make is I wish there was a model with a balanced dac and amp output. Even if it were just line out to keep the expense down on amps and connectors. You do get better sound from a balanced dac useing two chips or four depending on topology of the dac chip used . And no one hear is even thinking about it. But again I am sure this product will sound really good. And the AK240 Is just way over the top on price point. Are we supposed to walk around the streets and trains whatever with 1400 iems and another almost 3 k for a dap. Really that us almost 5 k total. For now I am still using my hdpr10. But I am thinking about these other daps.

Al

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #918 of 6,549
R10 is just too big to walk around right? We need something like M for portable purposes
happy_face1.gif

About to balanced outputs, probably successor of M will get it since the producers started to pay attention to it (I talked with FiiO and iBasso about this, not with X5 or DX90 but with their future flagships, they both consider balanced output). AK240 and HM901/802 already have balanced output too.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #919 of 6,549
This player seems to be well thought out and as such should sound really good on it's own. About the only point I can make is I wish there was a model with a balanced dac and amp output. Even if it were just line out to keep the expense down on amps and connectors. You do get better sound from a balanced dac useing two chips or four depending on topology of the dac chip used . And no one hear is even thinking about it. But again I am sure this product will sound really good. And the AK240 Is just way over the top on price point. Are we supposed to walk around the streets and trains whatever with 1400 iems and another almost 3 k for a dap. Really that us almost 5 k total. For now I am still using my hdpr10. But I am thinking about these other daps.

Al

Al, DX90 uses dual DAC chips.Another upcoming DAP that is under everyone's radar

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #920 of 6,549
Really wow that sounds good. The only immediate drawback on that is iBasso . After the dx100 50 firmware changes I have a bad feeling about them. They appear to bring a product to market when it is really not ready for prime time . But I will read into it. Thanks
When a product comes to market and there is a thread dedecated to issues that has me running in the other direction quick we pay good money and I want to play my music . I do not want to be a beta tester in this. And the dx100 was exactly that. That is why I bought the hibino version.
Al

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #921 of 6,549
To be fair, the DX90 doesn't look that different in terms of performance parts. I also still prefer simple button players and folder view is all I need. I'm sure there will be differences but while I'm still very curious about the Calyx's performance the hype machine has been strong on this one. Lets hope it lives up.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #922 of 6,549

Al, DX90 uses dual DAC chips.Another upcoming DAP that is under everyone's radar

To be fair, the DX90 doesn't look that different in terms of performance parts. I also still prefer simple button players and folder view is all I need. I'm sure there will be differences but while I'm still very curious about the Calyx's performance the hype machine has been strong on this one. Lets hope it lives up.

iBasso has a chance to make it a real winner if they can master the amp section. If they do, the double DAC is definitively going to sound sweeter, if not then we know what the end result will be. My only wish which is kind a tough saying that, I'd like to see the DX90 with a full metal jacket, after all at the price wouldn't you expect that?

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #923 of 6,549

iBasso has a chance to make it a real winner if they can master the amp section. If they do, the double DAC is definitively going to sound sweeter, if not then we know what the end result will be. My only wish which is kind a tough saying that, I'd like to see the DX90 with a full metal jacket, after all at the price wouldn't you expect that?

I just hope iBasso will not rush to release the DX90. Reputation is everything in this competitive market. If they release a great well though out product, customers will get it eventually. Another thing is that they double the price on the DX90 but uses the same case as the DX50, intangible and subjective things like SQ improvement may not be so easily justified by people. I think except the crazy bunch on head-fi who rushes to new products as soon as released, normal people actually wait and see which is the best before buy.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #924 of 6,549
  I just hope iBasso will not rush to release the DX90. Reputation is everything in this competitive market. If they release a great well though out product, customers will get it eventually. Another thing is that they double the price on the DX90 but uses the same case as the DX50, intangible and subjective things like SQ improvement may not be so easily justified by people. I think except the crazy bunch on head-fi who rushes to new products as soon as released, normal people actually wait and see which is the best before buy.
biggrin.gif

True! One thing is for sure I won't rush this one, that's becoming a bigger stack of change coming from my pocket and one thing I want is a working player, not another device that I neatly store in my electronics drawer. As it stands, I have too many of those already. 
atsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #925 of 6,549
biggrin.gif

I doubt "normal" people would care about DX90/AK240/901/Calyx M let alone buy them 
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #927 of 6,549
  Oh as a side note, I actually would like to see Calyx M team in head fi, I don't use Facebook and they honestly don't reply to emails. So learning information and discussion would be easier in here.

Pfft!! And you think none of the Calyx team are already here?

Just look at some of the suspiciously-emotive responses in this thread (yes, you know who you are, and don't think I didn't notice), and the fact that barely a remark goes by in this thread that isn't magically 'addressed' on the facebook page within 2-48 hrs.

In some senses, that has been a positive thing, but in others, the cloak&dagger B$ is getting tiresome, frankly. My guess is that it's partly due to the draconian approach to non-sponsors, on head-fi (anyone remember the Frogbeats C4 thread, for example?), but credit to the Fiio team for just stepping up and engaging with their customers openly. They've shown it's possible and their customers love them for it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #929 of 6,549
Well 500$, 1k$, 1.3k$ and.....2.5k$ imply different levels of abnormality
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh-heh.... and because I read the Hugo threads, I happen to know that you're in the upper-level of 'abnormality', eh, Mim'?  (congratulations, BTW; I want to do exactly what you've just done)

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #930 of 6,549
Heh-heh.... and because I read the Hugo threads, I happen to know that you're in the upper-level of 'abnormality', eh, Mim'?  (congratulations, BTW; I want to do exactly what you've just done)
Hugo is much cheaper than AK240...but still steep...would love to test Calyx too...the only DAP where I can put my entire collection. The DX90....well it is the same design as the DX50 and that is lazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back