$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 13, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #5,536 of 6,549
  All this talk about the sound of the M is making we crave one.  I will have to get one.  Luckily I can get a battery pack to carry with the M so that is not a big deal and it does have some form of playlist support.  Is the UI slow, buggy or unstable?  Is it fairly smooth and responsive?

Music aside, the built quality is really solid. Just a bit of a bigger size (same length and breadth as a iPhone6, but thicker), but the screen is gorgeous and much better than many DAPs out there.

I like the UI, the round cover art design, UI is smooth. It is not really buggy, but it is not as stable as WM1A or ZX2. There is a short waiting time from boot up to time you can play music, and the minor noise just before the 1st initial song of the music collection loaded. After that, it is pure enjoyment.

Is it a perfect DAP? I can't say that, as the battery life could be better and the OS could be more stable. It can't do different tricks that my ZX2 could. It can, however, deliver an immersive, dynamic music to you everytime.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #5,537 of 6,549

Music aside, the built quality is really solid. Just a bit of a bigger size (same length and breadth as a iPhone6, but thicker), but the screen is gorgeous and much better than many DAPs out there.

I like the UI, the round cover art design, UI is smooth. It is not really buggy, but it is not as stable as WM1A or ZX2. There is a short waiting time from boot up to time you can play music, and the minor noise just before the 1st initial song of the music collection loaded. After that, it is pure enjoyment.

Is it a perfect DAP? I can't say that, as the battery life could be better and the OS could be more stable. It can't do different tricks that my ZX2 could. It can, however, deliver an immersive, dynamic music to you everytime.

Size is not an issue for me as long as it is not the size of an Iphone Plus.  Which this clearly is not.  Sounds great.  I will need a battery pack, screen protector and 512 GB SD card when I do purchase and I will be all set.  Is the M for $750.00 a better deal than an Onkyo DPX1 for $600.00 in terms of value?

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,539 of 6,549
  How long does the M take to scan on start up?  Can I turn that feature off?  How does the M sort tracks under artist?  Does it sort by file name or by track title?

Thanks
Riley

How long does the M take to scan on start up? ~1 minute to be able to play the last track played when powered down but the scan will continue for quite a while after that (I have about 15,000 songs on mine so YMMV) - Can I turn that feature off? You can't turn scan off - How does the M sort tracks under artist? I'm pretty anal about metadata, so on mine, it would be Artist > Album > Tracks in Album Order. As I said, I'm meticulous about metadata so I don't know if that would make a difference in how data is displayed - Does it sort by file name or by track title? Track title numerically. One other quirky caveat, the M does not like the metadata for .wav files. It will play them without any problem but the Artist will be sorted at the end of the Artist List as Unknown Artist, all other .wav metadata is read correctly. If someone has a workaround for this, please post. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #5,540 of 6,549

How long does the M take to scan on start up? ~1 minute to be able to play the last track played when powered down but the scan will continue for quite a while after that (I have about 15,000 songs on mine so YMMV) - Can I turn that feature off? You can't turn scan off - How does the M sort tracks under artist? I'm pretty anal about metadata, so on mine, it would be Artist > Album > Tracks in Album Order. As I said, I'm meticulous about metadata so I don't know if that would make a difference in how data is displayed - Does it sort by file name or by track title? Track title numerically. One other quirky caveat, the M does not like the metadata for .wav files. It will play them without any problem but the Artist will be sorted at the end of the Artist List as Unknown Artist, all other .wav metadata is read correctly. If someone has a workaround for this, please post. 

I have almost 40,000 songs.  Would that take forever for the M to scan on start up?

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #5,542 of 6,549

I have almost 40,000 songs.  Would that take forever for the M to scan on start up?

I load each playlist by Album (each album is probably around 20 songs, all captured by my original CD), thus it will scan for the 20 songs pretty quickly on startup. You can start to play within a minute. The background scan for my 2,000 lossless songs in my microSD was pretty fast as well, as when I tried to unload my current playlist (immediately when I can start to play the first son) and load a new set by Album, all the Albums and songs are all ready for selection.

Thus, I would say, for user experience, it is pretty smooth and there is no delay.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #5,543 of 6,549

Size is not an issue for me as long as it is not the size of an Iphone Plus.  Which this clearly is not.  Sounds great.  I will need a battery pack, screen protector and 512 GB SD card when I do purchase and I will be all set.  Is the M for $750.00 a better deal than an Onkyo DPX1 for $600.00 in terms of value?

You can buy a high capacity battery extension at Jaben which actually change the back plate with the new battery extension, if you need to have a high duration playing without charging, or just get a standard microUSB connected battery pack.

As for Onkyo DPX1, I tried and didn't like the sound - detailed and probably analytical and dry - though many friends of mine likes the streaming capabilities. Many new DAPs that I tried have the same type of tuning - analytical or hires focus, such as Opus and QP1R that I bought and sold, but they are not musical or immersive as the Calyx M. Your mileage may defer, as I think such DAPs will satisfy those listening to orchestra music mainly.

It depends on your song preference, and a proper audition will help. If you are getting the DPX1, look for the updated version (DPX1-A) which solved the loose jack problem.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #5,544 of 6,549

You can buy a high capacity battery extension at Jaben which actually change the back plate with the new battery extension, if you need to have a high duration playing without charging, or just get a standard microUSB connected battery pack.

As for Onkyo DPX1, I tried and didn't like the sound - detailed and probably analytical and dry - though many friends of mine likes the streaming capabilities. Many new DAPs that I tried have the same type of tuning - analytical or hires focus, such as Opus and QP1R that I bought and sold, but they are not musical or immersive as the Calyx M. Your mileage may defer, as I think such DAPs will satisfy those listening to orchestra music mainly.

It depends on your song preference, and a proper audition will help. If you are getting the DPX1, look for the updated version (DPX1-A) which solved the loose jack problem.

I am in California in a rural area so the Jaben X Batt is not an option.  I have no real audio stores within 3 or more hours of me and I do not travel much if any to be able to try most high end audio equipment.  I have to rely on reviews and comments.  When I do travel it is not near anywhere that would have this grade of audio gear.  I cannot audition anywhere t put it plainly and I cannot do the X Batt from Jaben.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #5,545 of 6,549

I am in California in a rural area so the Jaben X Batt is not an option.  I have no real audio stores within 3 or more hours of me and I do not travel much if any to be able to try most high end audio equipment.  I have to rely on reviews and comments.  When I do travel it is not near anywhere that would have this grade of audio gear.  I cannot audition anywhere t put it plainly and I cannot do the X Batt from Jaben.

You can always use any standard external battery pack for cell phones. Put it in your pocket and use it when you need it.

Edit: Ignore my comment as @MarkTwain has already explained.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #5,548 of 6,549
Besides the Jukebox function yes the M also has has a Playlist feature. I created a couple hundred playlists on my M as I prefer to play all my music from Playlists. I found it to be very easy and quick to create playlists on the M. Oh and BTW despite the Ms minor drawbacks there is no beating it for sound quality. Its Class A output to me sounded wonderful and conveyed a slight warmish analog sounding tone which I loved.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #5,549 of 6,549
Besides the Jukebox function yes the M also has has a Playlist feature. I created a couple hundred playlists on my M as I prefer to play all my music from Playlists. I found it to be very easy and quick to create playlists on the M. Oh and BTW despite the Ms minor drawbacks there is no beating it for sound quality. Its Class A output to me sounded wonderful and conveyed a slight warmish analog sounding tone which I loved.

Thank you very much.  I listen to a lot of playlists at times.  That is a very good feature for me.

Cheers

Riley

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #5,550 of 6,549
Switching between WM1A and Calyx M, I still find Calyx M more dynamic but the new blood surely has its own strength, better separation and instrumental placement are two that come across my mind. But the sense of dynamic is still better on calyx M.

One of these days I will be able to send mine to be modded :frowning2: Life, freaking life! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back