9000ES and CD-R/RW
Jun 5, 2002 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fubar

New Head-Fier
I have recently purchased a Sony DVP-9000ES for about $900 with shipping. What an incredible source for the money! And a great DVD player to boot. Source is everything.
I think there are several folks here with the 9000ES and my question is, has anyone been able to use CD-R/RW media with the 9000ES? I read that you could record the CD-Rs at slow speed and they would work, won't work for me. The latest try was Sony audio CD-Rs recorded at slow speed, they wouldn't work either.
Is this a copyright issue with Sony, intentionally crippling the player, or is it something else?

Jun 5, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I searched Audio Asylum and found a number of people posting about this. It seems some people had luck with RITEK discs. See if you can find some manufactured by them. Another poster said his CDRWs worked but not CDRs--this is how some of the early DVD players worked. There was nothing conclusive on AA, the same brands that worked for some people did not work for others. Some never had problems playing CDRs and some never got it to work. I imagine there was a revision and a different drive mechanism was used with some models than others. Looks like trial and error--sorry.
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 7
The manual for the 9000ES specifically states that it will not work with CD-R or CD-RW (or at least it did when I got mine). So, you're pretty much on your own trying to find one that works. CD-RW has a better chance of working than CD-R, but the only way to find one that works is to try. If you find one that works reliably, buy a lot of it...the next batch from the same manufacturer may be just enough off so that it won't work anymore.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
A $900 source that can't play CD-R's?

Yeah, the price has gone down a lot. It used to be a $1500 source that couldn't play CD-R's.
tongue.gif

DVD's require a different wavelength laser than CD. A commercial CD can still be read by a DVD laser, but a CD-R has sufficiently different reflectivity that reading it is problematical. Advances in laser technology have pretty much solved this one, and it's rare to find a player that doesn't read CD-R anymore...but the 9000ES has been on the market for two years...a very long time for any DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back