888s + Porta Corda = ??
Dec 16, 2001 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ctn

Headphoneus Supremus
Would this be a good combination with a sony 925?
Or would it be better from the phones out?

Dec 16, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 10
My Sony MDR-E888LP earbuds sounded much better using a JMT-build CHA47 in an Altoid box than the headphone output on my Sony MZ-R900 MD recorder. I'd suspect the same to be true with your 925... as soon as I get my Porta Corda, I'll get back to you (may be a few days, though).

Dec 16, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Great cant wait
smily_headphones1.gif

My Porta Corda will be arriving soon too, prob a week after yours.

How much better did the JMT amp sound compared to the phones out on your R900?

My 888s havent been broken in yet but I found my older 868s sounded soo much better than it. I dont think its the same family of drivers. The 888s uses bio-cellulose thingy where as the 868s are saphire coated. Wonder if they are the same thing. My older 868s are way more in your face everything and very airy. Bass was mega tight and deep. Wonder why sony discontinued the 868s
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2001 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Well sapphire sure isn't bio-cellulose
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 17, 2001 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I really hope so. My dad reckons its an improvement since its way laid back but I hate it atm. Its sounding like a cheap mini system.
The high end is sooo harsh. I wonder y people say its warm. I'd say its very denon sounding
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 10
I found the difference between the headphone output and the JMT amp's output was astounding -- just no comparison. From the headphone output the sound was very compressed, dead, lifeless -- compared to using the JMT-built CHA47. I think you'll be very happy with your Porta-Corda.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Oh yeah today was my first day of real use of the PC and wow this lill amp just rocks !! Its sooo clean sounding and this comming from a portable
smily_headphones1.gif
The highs are a little wierd though...prob could be the mp3 -> cd quality.

It makes the 888 sound so much better but still not much bass
frown.gif
but its tight at least. I hope it gets better
smily_headphones1.gif

I miss my 868s so much
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2001 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 10
The Porta Corda(PC) is US$160.

I havent heard the JMT-built CHA47 so I cant comment but If the JMT is similar to my home built cmoy, I'd say the PC has an edge
smily_headphones1.gif

Im running on the PC on GB 8.4v ni-mh 150 mah batts but its actually 9.6 on the dot on the multimeter
biggrin.gif

Here's a comparasion of the PC, TA and a cmoy(CHL)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ht=porta+corda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back