GRADO STATEMENT GS2000e - Review and First Impressions
May 17, 2016 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 191

ESL-1

Headphoneus Supremus

The latest from Grado Labs and specifically the mind and ears of John Grado is the recently announced Statement Series GS2000e.  Looking like the current GS1000e the GS2000e is quite a different headphone sonically.  Retail is $1395 and it is to be the new second model down in the Grado line with only the Flagship PS1000e above it.  The GS2000e is not meant to replace the GS1000e which is to remain in the line at it's current retail of $995.

First a little background.  I originally heard a prototype of the design about 3 months ago at Grado Labs.  It was in a GS1000e body and at that time not knowing John's plans other than it was something he was working on I gave him some feedback and impressions after listening for about an hour using both LP's and some of my reference discs.  I told John that if it was a GS1000e it was by far the best I ever heard one sound.  Skip to seven weeks ago and in speaking with John he said he had something new he wanted me to hear when I could find the time to stop by the shop.  I got to hear what was to be the production version of a new headphone, this time it was clearly marked GS2000e.  He had suggested I bring along my PS1000e so I would have that benchmark for my comparisons.  Again limited in how much time I could stay I did get to try a lot of different genres of music on both of the phones, going back and forth to get a sense of the differences.  My bottom line impression was in simple terms that he had another winner on his hands.  He suggested that once he got this pair back from a reviewer that was due to borrow them that I take them home for an extended period of time in order to form a more complete assessment.

Of course this gave me the benefit of being with all my own equipment and music to help me get a handle on this new masterwork from Grado Labs.  I had them for a little over three weeks and it would not be a surprise to say in all the while I had them they got most of my listening time devoted to them.  I got to hear how they sounded on different amps in my possession and how they compared to a number of my headphones, including several other Grados I own.  In the Grado camp I have the following models:  PS1000e, Vintage RS1, PS500e and GH1.  With this initial mini review I do not intend to go through all those comparisons, may do some of that in a follow up.

First off you obviously will notice that other than the model imprint on the ear cups and the tan leather headband these are essentially the same physical design as the GS1000e which in my book means that they are very comfortable due to the large G around the ear pads and light weight of the wood design.  They utilize the same heavy grade quality cable as the PS1000e and GS1000e and are terminated in a standard 1/4 inch phone plug and will I am sure come with the Grado female 1/4 inch to male 3.5 mm mini plug pigtail adapter.  John also showed me one phonw terminated in a balanced XLR plug which would come with an adapter to take it down to standard 1/4 inch plug that he is thinking of offering as an option.

The front end I used in my auditioning was a Theta Data Basic II transport with a Theta DSPro Basic DAC.  Interconnects included Audioquest Python and Audioquest Water series.  Among the headphone amps used were the following:  TEAC HA-501, Burson HA-160, Violectric V200, Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 and Musical Fidelity M1HPA.  Both the TEAC and Musical Fidelity are Class A designs.

Some of the music used included Burmester's Art for the Ear - Vorfuhrungs - CD II, a reference disc for me which includes varied genres of music beautifully recorded.  Also listened to was Los Lobos - Kiko, Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass - Fitzgerald & Pass Again, a Pablo label recording, very natural, Jeff Beck Live @ Ronnie Scott's, Sammy Davis Jr. - The Wham of Sam (listen to Bye Bye Blackbird, so real), RCA Living Stereo recording of Mussorsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Mobile Fidelity Gold Disc of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Travelling Wilbury's first album.

ON TO THE SOUND:  With the GS2000e John Grado has once again taken a slightly different direction with the sonic signature compared to most of the other models in his line.  He has done this before successfully with the PS500e and GH1 in my opinion.  The sound is very transparent with excellent tonal balance through the full frequency range.  The sound stage is very open and wide with very good depth and separation.  The different instruments and sounds are well placed, defined and easily identified within that sound space and give a nice three dimensional effect.  I would say nimble is a good word to define the overall sound of the GS2000e.  It's quick transient capability and transparency are reminiscent of an electrostatic.  The sound is very dynamic too.  It was a very addictive sound and presentation and worked well with every type of music I tried.  One of my nephew's came by and I had him give them a listen to a few cuts from Prince's Purple Rain album.  He not only liked the Grados very much (no surprise) but preferred them to my Sennheiser HD800 which I had nearby.  In the current Grado lineup I would consider the GS2000e to most closely resemble the GH1's sound profile but upping the ante across the board.

I heartily recommend anyone looking for a top tier phone in the price range to get a listen to these with some of your favorite well recorded music.  They are definite contenders in my opinion and I think they will be another success for Grado Labs and represent John Grado's ongoing research and developement to continue to improve the breed.

May 17, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 191
Thanks for the review on these brother, I'm very much looking forward to trying these out in the not so distant future (I hope!). 
biggrin.gif

Also, great to hear that they follow along with the ps500e and Gh1 sound. To me these models do depth/3D imaging (not sure what to call it) better than past Grados along with very good transparency and tone/timbre.

May 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 191
Thanks for the review, and I'll watch this thread with interest.  I recently bought the GH1s and added the G Cush pads (not a big fan of the flats because of the comfort): very enjoyable set of 'phones.  

So I'll be intrigued to hear how the GS2000e 'ups the ante' relative to the GH1s.  Particularly as I expect the retail price here in the UK will be roughly double what I paid for the GH1s................

May 17, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 191
Thank you for taking time mate, always great to see new Grado woodies coming out. I wish that distribution and demo availability up here were stronger, but unfortunately...

May 17, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 191
I\d like to hear a comparison between this new GS2000e model and a GH-1 with GS pads.

May 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 191
Hey guys thanks for all the positive replies and thumbs up, glad you enjoyed. I am anxious to hear impressions from anyone who gets to audition them or get in on a loaner program, would be great to compare notes. :xf_eek:

May 17, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 191
I'm in awe that you know John and got a sneak preview and demo this headphone as it developed. Thanks for breaking the seal on this one with a very well spoken first impression!
beerchug.gif

Did you get to compare balanced versus unbalanced with it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back