New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #2,702 of 5,077
Hi guys got a question, my LG v10 died on me and im looking for a new phone Im between a LG V20 or a ZTE Axon 7 + a dragonfly red for the price difference of the 2 phones. But I just need some more info before I buy, I asked a few of my questions on the axon 7 and lg v20 thread but I did not get a definitive reply. 

-Can any usb dac including the dragonfly red or any other driverless usb dac work with the lg v20? my v10 only supported usb dac via USBAPP since it did not support OTG for dac
-Can any usb dac including the dragonfly red or any other driverless dac work with the axon 7? 
- If I choose the cheaper phone it would let me get a dragonfly red and I like the fact I would have the option to use it with other devices and its able to handle MQA (still wondering if it will or will not be the next big thing) but would it also work with my chromebook and what about my ubuntu? 

Ideally the dragonfly red + axon 7 would give me great sound quality that is at least good as my v10 or close to the SQ of the v20 since most people seem to state the v20 is the better sounding one and allow me to use it with my app version of tidal and roon to be able to take advantage of MQA. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,703 of 5,077
So I'll have to use UAPP to not have any issues if I'm using it with my Android phone? Is there any way to listen to streaming music with the DR on Android? How does the red pair with the 1more triple drivers? Right now I pretty much have them between 80-100% volume depending on the track I'm listening to.

You can stream through UAPP using Tidal or BubbleUPnP, which will give you access to Play Music, Google Drive, Qobuz and a couple others. I think the Red and 1More Triple Driver is a sublime pairing. I listen at around 45% using bit-perfect and hardware volume on UAPP. 

I'm guessing that the remote on the 1mores doesn't work when going through the dragonfly?

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,704 of 5,077
Feb 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,710 of 5,077
where is the update?

Emailed them today and got this reply. It seems we'll never get it :/

"The software update will be available to download for free via the Desktop Manager app on our website: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/#downloads. The MQA update will not be launched until Tidal has a resolution for their buffering issue. People simply aren’t buying hi res MQA files, they’re streaming them. With so little material to choose from, this delay should not cause any issues. We want to be a good partner to Tidal and not put any additional pressure on them. As soon as they’re ready, we’ll make the update available.

If you registered your Dragonfly, you will receive an email when it's available.

Please note: you will need to use a suitable media player to play MQA files. This is because MQA requires a decoder and a renderer to play a file. The renderer is built into the Dragonfly and the decoder is built into the media player's software. Once updated, your Dragonfly will glow a beautiful shade of blue to let you know you're playing an MQA file.

Our apologies if this delay causes you any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick
AudioQuest
2621 White Rd., Irvine, CA 92614
AQ Main: 949-585-0111
www.audioquest.com"

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,711 of 5,077
I guess it is time to exhale.  I was hoping to have the update before my Tidal trial expired.  Maybe when the update comes I'll pay for a month to see if it is worth it, and maybe there will be more titles, and maybe it will be more organized.  In the meantime I'll use my DFB the way it is, it still sounds a lot better than straight out of my computer or iPhone.  

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2,713 of 5,077
And the update to have more compatibility with Android, to solve the volume issue? This problem has been there from the begining and after several months we don't have a clue, only promises.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2,714 of 5,077
That's pretty disappointing news. I've no buffering issues with streaming MQA via Tidal on my Mac that uses a different DAC. However I'm hoping for the Tidal iOS app to get the MQA feature which will be used with my DFB.
Flawless operation currently with my iPhone 5s.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,715 of 5,077
That's pretty disappointing news. I've no buffering issues with streaming MQA via Tidal on my Mac that uses a different DAC. However I'm hoping for the Tidal iOS app to get the MQA feature which will be used with my DFB.
Flawless operation currently with my iPhone 5s.

I have gotten buffering issues with Tidal's mqa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back