800S returned lcd3 on order
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ekul61

500+ Head-Fier
after listening to the 800S for 2 weeks with violectric amp and flac files. I returned them. Wonderful build, extremely comfortable and clarity to die for. Just not my sound preference. Lcd3 will be here soon. Will post a comparison.
If the lcd3 don't work for me. I'm going to chalk it up that, I don't like flagship type of headphones.
Then return the lcd3 and buy the Hifiman 560. Which should be a safe reasonbly priced headphone I should enjoy. As I've enjoyed the he400 and he 400i

Nov 22, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 16
Thx just not sure I can get the bass I prefer with a dynamic headphone. I believe I will have to go planar and sacrifice some clarity. Sure would be nice to have the bass of a planar and clarity of a dynamic. Holy grail.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 16
You try the Fostex th900 yet? Amazing!
They do some things right but are a very polarizing headphone, complete opposite of the LCD series. I hated them but I can understand why some might like them.

Bass was fantastic but other than that, everything else was off. Too sharp and peaky Treble, too recessed midrange and male vocals are a joke. Fantastic bass tho

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 16
They do some things right but are a very polarizing headphone, complete opposite of the LCD series. I hated them but I can understand why some might like them.

Bass was fantastic but other than that, everything else was off. Too sharp and peaky Treble, too recessed midrange and male vocals are a joke. Fantastic bass tho

I love the th900 and lcd3. I use an EQ on my computer. I think vocals are great but I'm not really an audiophile. More just a audio fan lol.

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 16
No I believe if the lcd3 dont work out. Im done for awhile with $1500 headphones. Im starting to think that the he 560[$500} will give you about 90% what the big dollar cans will do.

Who WANTS 90%? Well I tried the hd800 (not s) and they were ok but not worth all the fuss imo. I'm more looking for a fun experience than an audiophile one. lcd3 were good but th900 were a blast too and are cheaper and more comfy. I use mine for music, YouTube, movies... Little bit of everything. U will probably like lcd3. Just a little on heavy side.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 16
Hey guys, sorry to necro but it wont let me start a new post. I have had HD800 for a little while now and recently bit the bullet and got the HD800s. I drive them with the Woo Audio WA7+WA7tp and can not discern any realistic differences... Do I need to burn them in or return them for something different?

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 16
Hey guys, sorry to necro but it wont let me start a new post. I have had HD800 for a little while now and recently bit the bullet and got the HD800s. I drive them with the Woo Audio WA7+WA7tp and can not discern any realistic differences... Do I need to burn them in or return them for something different?
You can't feel the bass (and so mid) of them are not the same? S one adds warm to mid, stronger (but less real) bass, less pierce treble...

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 16

There are many, many posts on the exact differences between the 800 and 800s. The 800 had a spike in the treble which was reduced in the "s" model. It's the same headphones just tuned a little differently basically. It's up to you if you like them. There are others that I like more but that's just me.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 16
Not really sure tbh. I tried it with a shiit stack + loki as well and could not get much differences tbh... It just sounds like a new pair of black HD800

I got the HD800s from the articles and Zeos, from Z reviews's reccomendation as being so much better than the original HD800, or what the HD800 should have been... They are the same price as the LCD-3 and the Ethers so I was wondering if it was just my amp... but I have a WA7+WA7tp aka a 2k amplifier so I dunno... There was a little difference in soundstage but thats about it. The 800s seem more cozy than the wilderness inside the originals

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 16
I've done a slight anax mod to my HD800 but I also added the foam of the HD650 I had (replacement foam). This made such a difference in sound over bone stock HD800 that shrills till your ears bleed!!

The LCD3 will have more fuller body to the music. TBH it'll be much more engaging than the hyper detail of the HD800 (s).

While your at it test a pair of inexpensive Hifiman He560 or Edition X. If vocals is your thing you may be pleasantly surprised. Personally speaking I can get over the incredible sound of the HE560.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 16
Yeah. It' not as easy for me to try stuff out... i live pretty remote with all the resellers in the city. Kindda have to go off reviews and reccomendations. I have an HE4xx, I thought the HE560 were very similar to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back