8 braid vs 4 braid difference for custom cable
Sep 7, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 38
Thanks for the reply. :)

Did you ever compare a 4 or 8 braided silver cable as well, or maybe a SPC one (best would be of the same brand)?

I tried Beat prima donna cable which is silver cable. The same result, having double conductor makes more warmth and smoother treble. Soundstage is not nights and days.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 38
Having double conductor will tend to thicker bass and smoother treble.

That is what I tried with Brimar Sup Ref x4 vs x8

I don't see much beneficial on increasing soundstage. Just different tonality.

So if one similar brand, they provide option for 4 or 8, I usually choose 4

Mhmm I can't stop thinking about this statement. In fact going double braided will make the overall signature warner? Not higher resoluted or more controlled etc?

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #18 of 38
At least that is what I trial and perceive.

Upgrading earphone is more distinct for more resolution perception.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #19 of 38
At least that is what I trial and perceive.

Upgrading earphone is more distinct for more resolution perception.

Yeah I know about that. Right now I'm using the SE5U and just looking for a copper cable which defines the sound signature a little more, with a slight increase in resolution in comparison tobthe stock cable.

Thanks for your replies!

Still looking for more experiences - pls gimme

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 38
An 8 braided cable will sound better for sure. Better RF rejection and preservation of source signal.

The stock 4 braid actually branches out to only 2 cables per channel while the aggregate 8 braid splits with 4 wires to each ear. The difference isn't going to be night and day, especially on headphones but you should hear an improvement in spatial separation and better bass control. That said, everything depends on your gear.

This is like the best explanation that you could have regarding this topic

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #25 of 38
Which is better for ergonomics?

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #27 of 38
Have you tried both? Would it be a huge difference in ergonomics?

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #28 of 38
Have you tried both? Would it be a huge difference in ergonomics?

It really depends on the thickness of the single braid. Lower AWG = more thick.

If you intend to use the cable on the go on a train or something, where you don't move too much, then I recommend you to go 8 braided, since it seems that there are technical/(sonic) advantages.

If you intend to do some sports with the cable, where you move your body ALOT, then you should go for the 4 braided one.

In the end there is no "better". It all depends on your personal taste. As example: while a balanced output gives a "cleaner" output, some people still like the 3,5mm single ended more, although the balanced one is "better".

I did have an 8 braided one, as well as a 4 braided.. but I never had a 4 and an 8 braided cable of the same kind. Don't underestimate the thickness and weight (especially weight) of an 8 braided cable with lower AWG (20 - 24). It's getting reaaally heavy because of the sleeves around the braids.. but I guess it really depends on the material they are using. 35 grams should be max for an IEM cable. I had a 40 grams one and it was a little over the acceptable tolerance for me.

I hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #29 of 38
Thanks, yeah I'll be mainly using at home/work so may not be an issue. Cable weight is something I hadn't considered before so I'll definitely think about that if considering an 8 braid.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #30 of 38
maybe @flinkenick has noticed what differences exist between a 4-braid and a 8-braid of the same cable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back