8 braid vs 4 braid difference for custom cable
Dec 5, 2015 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

potatoe94

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all !
I am currently using the Noble Savant with a default cable , 
and would like to know what are the obvious difference between a 4 braid and 8 braid 24awg OCC copper cable ?
I've tried the 4 braided one and i pretty much liked the slightly richer mids . 

However i would like to know how would a 8 braided one sound ? 
Would it be any cleaner ? wider or deeper in soundstaging ? or a more exaggerated warmth ? 
There were no demo available for the 8 braid one , hence im wondering if anyone knows about this ? 

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 38
  Hi all !
I am currently using the Noble Savant with a default cable , 
and would like to know what are the obvious difference between a 4 braid and 8 braid 24awg OCC copper cable ?
I've tried the 4 braided one and i pretty much liked the slightly richer mids . 

However i would like to know how would a 8 braided one sound ? 
Would it be any cleaner ? wider or deeper in soundstaging ? or a more exaggerated warmth ? 
There were no demo available for the 8 braid one , hence im wondering if anyone knows about this ? 

An 8 braided cable will sound better for sure. Better RF rejection and preservation of source signal.

The stock 4 braid actually branches out to only 2 cables per channel while the aggregate 8 braid splits with 4 wires to each ear. The difference isn't going to be night and day, especially on headphones but you should hear an improvement in spatial separation and better bass control. That said, everything depends on your gear.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 38
I don't think so.
Do you have any references from RFI experts like Jim Brown or Henry Ott?

I don't think so.

I don't wanna get into another argument about cables. There are tests done. Check out Kimber Kable OSCaR.

They thoroughly test capacitance, resistance, etc etc on their cables before going into production. You should go to a HiFi store and compare some speaker cables you will be surprised to hear the difference, whether the difference is good or bad that's personal preference.

Headphone cables I've found are less noticeable/ important in this regard.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 38
ah ~ i've settled for a 4 braid copper litz . thanks anyway guys ~ 

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 38
  What are you connecting with the huge Kimber Kable OSCaR cables?  Aren't they the size of automobile jumper cables?

Kimber Kable makes everything from tiny 1ft rca cables to massive speaker cables. And OSCaR is not a line of cables, it stands for (Objective, Subjective, Correlation and Results). The OSCaR tests are done on every cable regardless of how much they cost.

You should know that thicker speaker cables are important... especially if you are going to do long runs. 

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 38
Bump,

actually in the same situation right now and can't find any thread which can lead me to a final decision.

The cable is a 26AWG 4ft. long copper cable for a 2-Pin CIEM - 4 braids vs. 8 braids - what's "better" (= difference) and why?

Thanks alot in advance!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 38
Its for my iem , Beyerdynamic Xelento

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 38
Bump,

actually in the same situation right now and can't find any thread which can lead me to a final decision.

The cable is a 26AWG 4ft. long copper cable for a 2-Pin CIEM - 4 braids vs. 8 braids - what's better and why?

Thanks alot in advance!
All i can say is , try them out and see what you like best . Sonically and for daily use

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 38
All i can say is , try them out and see what you like best . Sonically and for daily use

Sounds nice but still looking for an answer for my actual question. :)

You did ask it too to save money and also to avoid a cable lying around for nothing, right? Same here.

The thread is somewhat old - were you able to try out both variants by the time now? :)

Thanks for the fast replies!

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 38
Having double conductor will tend to thicker bass and smoother treble.

That is what I tried with Brimar Sup Ref x4 vs x8

I don't see much beneficial on increasing soundstage. Just different tonality.

So if one similar brand, they provide option for 4 or 8, I usually choose 4

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 38
Having double conductor will tend to thicker bass and smoother treble.

That is what I tried with Brimar Sup Ref x4 vs x8

I don't see much beneficial on increasing soundstage. Just different tonality.

So if one similar brand, they provide option for 4 or 8, I usually choose 4

Thanks for the reply. :)

Did you ever compare a 4 or 8 braided silver cable as well, or maybe a SPC one (best would be of the same brand)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back