7Hz Impressions & Discussion
May 24, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,926 of 4,265
Nope, I'm told it'll be MMCX. Who know I may be surprised. They did say that they may make a "few" 2 Pin
1653401783980.png

May 24, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #2,927 of 4,265
Nope right from Ray at 7hz, No MMCX going 2 pin as they thought it more popular?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-084422_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-084422_Facebook.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #2,929 of 4,265
Makes sense, there are lots who just won't touch mmcx at all.
I quite like the newer style of 2pin (recessed where the body of the connector is relied on for stress/tensile strength), rather than the standard 2pin where the pins themselves absorb stress. These seem to be more problematic in that pins get broken inside the connection point on the IEM, and is really hard to fix.

On that note, the picture (if this is truly representative of the final product) looks to be a standard type, so I may have to pass on this one. Not that I am super rough on the connection point, but I like to sleep in mine (and am a side sleeper). Almost looks like they "cheaped out" on this connector to maybe keep the cost down (total conjecture here), which is weird because I have the $20 CCA CRA which has the recessed type; they can't be that expensive to use. :)

I can't buy them anyhow. Now that someone has mentioned that they look like Guinen's hat from STtNG, I can't get that out of my head when looking at them... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think that cheaper implementations of MMCX truly give it a bad name (Tinhifi P1 among others, I'm looking at you), in which case I don't blame people for not wanting to use them. IEMs from such companies as DUNU and iBasso implement them in such a quality way that one has confidence that they will last for a very long time.

Edit: Even the Timeless themselves have a pretty good implementation of MMCX. At least I have had 0 issues with them being loose and not making a connection. :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2,930 of 4,265
Nope right from Ray at 7hz, No MMCX going 2 pin as they thought it more popular?
That's correct. He wrote me on Sunday they would be MMCX and wrote again last night they have decided to go .78 2Pin because of market demand. So, yes a change of plans....

May 24, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #2,931 of 4,265
So all the cables I've accumulated for my Timeless are going to be worthless if I upgrade to the V2?

Lol, yeah I probably won't bother upgrading if that's the case. A shame they seemingly turned their backs on their existing customers by making the new model incompatible.

I've got way more $$ tied up in cables than the Timeless itself. Not going to re-buy cables at this point.

May 24, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #2,932 of 4,265
I quite like the newer style of 2pin (recessed where the body of the connector is relied on for stress/tensile strength), rather than the standard 2pin where the pins themselves absorb stress. These seem to be more problematic in that pins get broken inside the connection point on the IEM, and is really hard to fix.

On that note, the picture (if this is truly representative of the final product) looks to be a standard type, so I may have to pass on this one. Not that I am super rough on the connection point, but I like to sleep in mine (and am a side sleeper). Almost looks like they "cheaped out" on this connector to maybe keep the cost down (total conjecture here), which is weird because I have the $20 CCA CRA which has the recessed type; they can't be that expensive to use. :)

I can't buy them anyhow. Now that someone has mentioned that they look like Guinen's hat from STtNG, I can't get that out of my head when looking at them... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think that cheaper implementations of MMCX truly give it a bad name (Tinhifi P1 among others, I'm looking at you), in which case I don't blame people for not wanting to use them. IEMs from such companies as DUNU and iBasso implement them in such a quality way that one has confidence that they will last for a very long time.

Edit: Even the Timeless themselves have a pretty good implementation of MMCX. At least I have had 0 issues with them being loose and not making a connection. :)
I am totally with you. Good quality MMCX which is well implemented is highly reliable.

Another issue with the 2pin standard which is increasingly becoming a problem is the increasing number of variations. 2pin 0.75, 2pin 0.78, recessed 2pin, hooded 2pin (covered over with a round, oval or retangular hood) indented 2pin (with one or more grooves) keyed 2pin (with grooves and/or protrusions) etc. have made the 2pin no longer a standard, which makes many cables, other than a specific manufacturer's cables, incompatible with other earphones. It is getting silly and soon it will be expensive silliness.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,933 of 4,265
So all the cables I've accumulated for my Timeless are going to be worthless if I upgrade to the V2?

Lol, yeah I probably won't bother upgrading if that's the case. A shame they seemingly turned their backs on their existing customers by making the new model incompatible.

I've got way more $$ tied up in cables than the Timeless itself. Not going to re-buy cables at this point.
There are MMCX to 2-pin adapters, angled and straight:

Shure/Westone MMCX to Westone,Tralucent/Noble Audio 2 Pin IEM adapter => the listing doesn't say .78 spacing, so I'd ask first, as I'm not familiar with the IEM's listed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182220565074

OEAudio MMCX to 0.78mm 2pin Adapter (Black)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384905656341

I usually see more adapter listings. I haven't tried these adapters myself, so if you try them please let us know how they work out :)
I am totally with you. Good quality MMCX which is well implemented is highly reliable.

Another issue with the 2pin standard which is increasingly becoming a problem is the increasing number of variations. 2pin 0.75, 2pin 0.78, recessed 2pin, hooded 2pin (covered over with a round, oval or retangular hood) indented 2pin (with one or more grooves) keyed 2pin (with grooves and/or protrusions) etc. have made the 2pin no longer a standard, which makes many cables, other than a specific manufacturer's cables, incompatible with other earphones. It is getting silly and soon it will be expensive silliness.
Yup, but I don't think 1 or 2 variations are enough, certainly not enough to force a "standard".

I appreciate the recessed 2-pin, the raised island QDC 2-pin, and I've been able to "fit" .78 into .75 sockets without much trouble.

The one that was a PIA was the Blon-03 when it came out, trying to find a connector to create a custom cable took quite a while, including manufacturer emails/calls intra China by vendors to track down the source Blon used. Well worth it in the end though, with a cable upgrade the Blon-03 was a great listen for me for quite a while.

IDK, if I can find wires I like, a custom builder that is reliable with great braids and design sense, like GUCraftsman - there are others, even KBear is receptive to input and for many IEM's their inexpensive $25+/- per cable offerings are a good final solution, and at least a great temporary solution while custom cables are made - delays are variable these days.

There are solutions out there, it only takes a bit of time to find them :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #2,934 of 4,265

I get what you're saying but I can also also look through their eyes. I see it less as turning their back on existing customers for we all ended up with an excellent Planar and a stock of upgrade cables. That doesn't change. We still have an excellent Timeless. I see it more like they have turned their eyes toward an untapped market and listened to market demand for the 2 Pin standard. I'm told that they intend to keep their margins razor thin on the Dioko and offer it a price we will find truly shocking. They were the first to release a truly exceptional Planar (yes, Tin came first with the P1, and I loved it); but Timeless brought a new level of performance across the spectrum, then others came to to undercut the price - so they're going to turn the table with this new one. Let's see what their follow up will be like. Masterpiece or Meh? We'll find out. I've got quite a stable of 2Pin Cables so I'll be giving a rip and even if I didn't have those cables curiosity would have me try it at least with what ever the stock cable is...

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,935 of 4,265
Yeah I've got a pair of 2-pin adapters, but they're clunky and make the cable curve awkwardly behind the ear.

So who knows, I'll probably grab one to test out when they come up for sale and go from there.

May 24, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2,936 of 4,265

Yeah, good point! It seems as though everyone wants to be proprietary these days; to the detriment of the customer IMHO... :)

May 24, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #2,937 of 4,265

This is so true. I am almost on the verge of losing track of the number of cables I have that are two-pin (which is my favourite) in all its various iterations, and am on the verge of shifting my preference towards MMCX just because they have just one standard. With the appropriate removal tool, they seem idiot-proof now!

May 26, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #2,938 of 4,265
Here are a few details 7Hz new DD. No name yet but will be released shortly after the new Dioko planar. It will be coming out under a new sub-brand to 7Hz.
It's a 10mm Dynamic and while the rendered photos show 2 Pin it will also be MMCX. Stainless Steel face plates on polycarbonate shells. Black will be the primary color but they will make 4 color variations Proposed is Red, Black, White and a kind of turquoise blue.

Do you guys want to give some feedback on your preferences? Cast your vote here for a little fun and who knows, your wish may be granted!

Vote: https://howard_olsen.formaloo.net/7hzdd

Results: https://live.formaloo.net/xAKHJ8uLwxKtbuN/?mode=single

I've never used this form / poll software even though I own it, I hope this fun little experiment works.
where were these announced i cant seem to find any info online

May 26, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #2,939 of 4,265
where were these announced i cant seem to find any info online
They are not "Officially" announced yet. Last week Ray from 7Hz called me and told me what was up. While we we were talking he flashed a few "disappearing" pictures at me over the next couple of days, he began talking about them on the 7Hz Fan Page on FB Group join link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1077733246405322

May 26, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #2,940 of 4,265
MMCX connectors can be tough for some people to work with, at least that is what I have seen over time (about 2 years). To remove many pull from the cable side of the MMCX connector - which a good way to break the MMCX connector.

It is easier to wedge a nail between the connector and the IEM, to pop apart the MMCX connector - and safer for the connector.

Unless you can find a specialized tool to pop the MMCX connector out of the IEM:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fin...echanger-for-stubborn-mmcx-connectors.946294/
https://www.amazon.com/Disconnection-Accessories-Disconnect-Connectors-Pull-Out/dp/B098Q9CJ76
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/final-audio-mmcx-assist-for-in-ear-monitor-iem-earphone

For me the 2-pin connector isn't any easier to work with, I need to focus to get those tiny pins lined up and plugged into the tiny holes.:)

@holsen - Turquoise Blue and Red are tied up 4 to 4 right now :)

I'm not a big fan of the new DD IEM shape, nor coloring only the base and leaving the "cover plate" silver.

I do like the shape of the new "Red" Timeless V2, it reminds me of "Guinan's Hat" as worn in Star Trek TNG:

Update: I've been informed, and read further back in this thread, that 7hz/sellers are including an MMCX removal tool in their shipments of the Timeless, but I didn't get one included in my shipment, so I am asking for one to be sent to me in my next order delivery from Hifigo.com - and I've heard that if the tool doesn't seem to be working for you, to try rolling it over (flip it over) so that the grip of the tool fits the problem. :)
Hi guys/gals, I received a response from Hifigo about the MMCX removal tool some of you received with your 7hz Timeless:

"Hello Scott,
We asked the brand and they replied that they don't send it with the Timeless. Maybe the customers bought it themselves?
We also listed it on hifigo yesterday. If you like it, we could ship you one for free with your next parcel. :)
https://hifigo.com/products/mmcx-wire-pulling-tool
Have a nice day~"

So, at least for 7hz China office (I assume) and Hifigo.com they don't automatically bundle the MMCX removal tool with a Timeless purchase.

I will ask Hifigo.com if they can bundle the MMCX tool with purchase of the 7hz Timeless at discount/free for everyone.
---------------------
Well, I've been busy and didn't actually post the above, so it's now tomorrow and Hifigo has answered :)

"Hello Scott,
Thanks for your advice~
Good idea. Okay, we could bundle a free MMCX with timeless purchase. Yes, you could post this, thank you.:)
I asked my service colleague and he said that some customers have emailed us for this before and we also sent some free MMCX tools.
Regarding the return orders of MMCX connectors/cables, actually, we don't have many.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion~
Have a nice day."

Well, that is great news right? And, Hifigo has already updated their 7hz Timeless listing with "+Gift MMCX Pulling Tool" :)
https://hifigo.com/products/7hz-timeless-14-2mm-planar-in-ear-earphone

They are not "Officially" announced yet. Last week Ray from 7Hz called me and told me what was up. While we we were talking he flashed a few "disappearing" pictures at me over the next couple of days, he began talking about them on the 7Hz Fan Page on FB Group join link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1077733246405322
Awesome, I've requested to Join the Facebook Group, thank you! :)

Now, joined in FB Group!...

Ooooo, look at this gorgous Blue color for the TImeless V2!
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10161082233258968&set=gm.1154826755362637
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1077733246405322
1653659308300.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back