7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #1,516 of 4,265
Thanks, I was wondering what that was. I threw the plastic with that out, I just went to rescue it.

So I love the technicality of the timeless, also the bass surprised me. Vocals don't seem to have life to me though. Is there enough headphone on the same tier level as this with maybe a more v-shaped sound that would fix that issue, or is everything going to cost 500+ now?
It depends on what you've been used to. The Timeless is mildly V-shaped with energetic mids when needed and a wonderful dynamic range across the spectrum IMO.
Now if the midrange seems too recessed to you then try a more powerful source with balanced output preferentially.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #1,517 of 4,265
It depends on what you've been used to. The Timeless is mildly V-shaped with energetic mids when needed and a wonderful dynamic range across the spectrum IMO.
Now if the midrange seems too recessed to you then try a more powerful source with balanced output preferentially.
Darn I was worried about that. It feels like it'd do better with an amp. I was hoping I could just use them with cheap bt hooks. To me sound is more of a feeling I get, and I don't get that feeling with the vocals, especially female vocals, as I do with my shure srh840s or even galaxy pros sometimes. These are better overall. They are technically so good, but it can lead to feeling sterile to me maybe because of the vocals thing.

Just got the kinera leyding cable gizaudio rec on his setup for $500 video, also a 2-pin to mmcx adapter, and btr5. damn

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #1,518 of 4,265
Darn I was worried about that. It feels like it'd do better with an amp. I was hoping I could just use them with cheap bt hooks. To me sound is more of a feeling I get, and I don't get that feeling with the vocals, especially female vocals, as I do with my shure srh840s or even galaxy pros sometimes. These are better overall. They are technically so good, but it can lead to feeling sterile to me maybe because of the vocals thing.

Just got the kinera leyding cable gizaudio rec on his setup for $500 video, also a 2-pin to mmcx adapter, and btr5. damn
Experiment with the tips a bit. I can get ear-piercing treble, no bass, gut-shaking bass or utter perfection, depending on which tips I use.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #1,520 of 4,265
Experiment with the tips a bit. I can get ear-piercing treble, no bass, gut-shaking bass or utter perfection, depending on which tips I use.
True, once you get rid of the treble brightness the mids get just as good as any good planar or electrostat headphone. These may not have the same forwardness in the midrange as dynamic transducers though, because planars in general sound different (some people talk about a wall of sound effect).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #1,521 of 4,265
The yellow tip silicon fit is so good. It feels like custom in my ear. Easy to drive and sounds correct across several sources. Sounds good ootb. Cable is supple with classy looks. I appreciate when an iem can sound good from the start. Extra points from me.

I agree. I love when I like the sound on first listen, and while the cable may not be technically the greatest, I quite like this stock cable.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #1,522 of 4,265
Thanks, I was wondering what that was. I threw the plastic with that out, I just went to rescue it.

So I love the technicality of the timeless, also the bass surprised me. Vocals don't seem to have life to me though. Is there enough headphone on the same tier level as this with maybe a more v-shaped sound that would fix that issue, or is everything going to cost 500+ now?
What I've found so far is they really need some sort of amplification, depending what your source is. My main phone, Samsung Z fold3, doesn't have enough kick to drive the 7hz. The mids sound thin and weak. My Hiby R6 Pro is much better but doesn't match my Emotiva A2M amp for sound quality with the Hiby as the source.
I'm trying out my ES100 bluetooth receiver with the 7hz and it does a surprisingly good job them.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,523 of 4,265
What I've found so far is they really need some sort of amplification, depending what your source is. My main phone, Samsung Z fold3, doesn't have enough kick to drive the 7hz. The mids sound thin and weak. My Hiby R6 Pro is much better but doesn't match my Emotiva A2M amp for sound quality with the Hiby as the source.
I'm trying out my ES100 bluetooth receiver with the 7hz and it does a surprisingly good job driving them.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,524 of 4,265
I'm trying out my ES100 bluetooth receiver with the 7hz and it does a surprisingly good job them.
Do you mean that with the amp & the R6 the mids presentation is improved in comparison with the R6 alone?

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,527 of 4,265
I've been using Timeless mainly off my Kann Alpha (good match I think). Upper mids are a little bit back maybe but I don't find the mids to be thin overall. Heard or read several people say that Timeless had a relaxed or laid back presentation and that is true compared to some others. But I don't find them to be nearly as laid back as I expected from some of the reviews and comments. I usually find "laid back" or "relaxed" to be boring but I don't find Timeless boring at all. It's probably that there is a little bit of a bump in the mids at maybe 2 or 3k and the 8K peak that keeps me from finding them "boring". And I'm finding that what a lot of folks consider bright or peaky in the upper treble, I don't and it's probably because my upper frequency hearing is pretty well shot. I don't have much acuity too far beyond 10K now which means I'm starting to roll off a good bit before that. It's a curse but also a blessing in some ways as well I suppose.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,528 of 4,265
I've been using Timeless mainly off my Kann Alpha (good match I think). Upper mids are a little bit back maybe but I don't find the mids to be thin overall. Heard or read several people say that Timeless had a relaxed or laid back presentation and that is true compared to some others. But I don't find them to be nearly as laid back as I expected from some of the reviews and comments. I usually find "laid back" or "relaxed" to be boring but I don't find Timeless boring at all. It's probably that there is a little bit of a bump in the mids at maybe 2 or 3k and the 8K peak that keeps me from finding them "boring". And I'm finding that what a lot of folks consider bright or peaky in the upper treble, I don't and it's probably because my upper frequency hearing is pretty well shot. I don't have much acuity too far beyond 10K now which means I'm starting to roll off a good bit before that. It's a curse but also a blessing in some ways as well I suppose.
I'll have to agree on this. I did spend some time comparing my set of Timeless with my much-loved Mojo/SE846 combination. While the Shures definitely have more energetic vocals and overall midrange presence the Timeless did not sound laid off while directly A/Bing them from the same source. And I think this says a lot about their midrange rendering. The funny thing about Timeless is how a segment of the frequency range can get from completely silent to really loud so effortlessly due to their incredible dynamic range, and this includes the midrange. And while the SE846 have more forward vocals especially around the upper midrange region this affects negatively their soundstage capacities something that the Timeless does better. On the other hand, the Shures have a little bit better imaging on careful scrutiny even though the Timeless is more articulate in complex tacks I think.

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,529 of 4,265
Thanks for reporting back. Something up with my LC-RC sample then. My sample absolutely, undoubtedly attenuates the low end. It isn't just a balance thing from tightening the bass and opening up the mids and treble or anything like that. It flat out attenuates the bass by several db's. It's not related to high resistance either because the LC-RC meters below 0.2 ohms. I tried both 4.4mm and 2.5mm plugs (didnt try 3.5mm). Example ... Timeless, with it's stock cable or the Tripowin Altea cable that I'm currently using, has a good bit more bass than my Dunu Zen. That also coincides with FR graphs between these two iems. With the Fiio LC-RC Timeless has notably less bass quantity compared to Dunu Zen. Really strange. Maybe I'll just send it back and try another one.
Tomm11 how do you compare the Timeless to the Zen in terms of detail retrieval?

Jan 8, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #1,530 of 4,265
Tomm11 how do you compare the Timeless to the Zen in terms of detail retrieval?
I'd have to give that some thought. Probably have to do some critical listening between the 2. Off the top of my head, Zen is really pretty good in the mids but treble rolls off early. Definitely have to give it to Timeless up top but maybe Zen through the mids. Zens magic is in it's dynamics. I really dig Zen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back