7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Sep 23, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #166 of 4,264
Placed my pre-order for the 7Hz Timeless. I heard the details are gonna be good but will it beat the KZ AST in the instrument seperation department? The KZ AST was so good at imaging.

Depends whether you see that seperation as a pro or a con? Cause by many it's considered incoherence between the many drivers & ultimately giving them an uncanny valley bad feeling. Though by others it gives them a positvely holographic presentation.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #167 of 4,264
Depends whether you see that seperation as a pro or a con? Cause by many it's considered incoherence between the many drivers & ultimately giving them an uncanny valley bad feeling. Though by others it gives them a positvely holographic presentation.
Multi-driver holographic presentation is kind of my thing. Still tuning and resolution comes first.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #168 of 4,264
Wait. What do you mean by separation? For me, instrument separation is being able to easily hear multiple different instruments that are in the same/similar location on the soundstage and in same/nearby frequency ranges. I always thought this had to do with the technical ability of the driver(s), reproducing the sounds so they sound like separate entities and not merging together into a single sound or one instrument "eating" the other.

I thought "incoherence" was stark changes in timbre, technical ability, etc. between adjacent frequency ranges reproduced by different drivers. If you can pinpoint just by listening to music where one driver cuts out and another begins, there are some coherence issues.

Or at least that's my understanding of it and how I've been using these terms.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #169 of 4,264
Wait. What do you mean by separation? For me, instrument separation is being able to easily hear multiple different instruments that are in the same/similar location on the soundstage and in same/nearby frequency ranges. I always thought this had to do with the technical ability of the driver(s), reproducing the sounds so they sound like separate entities and not merging together into a single sound or one instrument "eating" the other.

I thought "incoherence" was stark changes in timbre, technical ability, etc. between adjacent frequency ranges reproduced by different drivers. If you can pinpoint just by listening to music where one driver cuts out and another begins, there are some coherence issues.

Or at least that's my understanding of it and how I've been using these terms.
I wouldn't say you are off either. We'll need a way to tie things together.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #170 of 4,264
Seems like folks who ordered the Timeless are waiting patiently/impatiently for new stocks to arrive. My seller said he received a fresh batch over the weekend and will ship asap... yipee!

But with the rush of incoming orders, this is when 7hz's QC is tested most. Let's hope the so far consistent QC holds.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #171 of 4,264
Got my Timeless, first impressions are positive. Most things play great, though it might sound bit shouty at times to my ears, tracks with lot of high pitched instruments combined with high pitched female vocals can be an ear killer :). So imo not for kpop fans, although some kpop will sound good.
Edit: Forgot to add that tip rolling will eleviate the shoutiness with those tracks, as my test was done with the tips that came with it , which are wide bore. Narrow bore will tame the trebble and add some bass, but im yet to experiment with that.

Worth noting is that while it has good soundstage width wise, has height and depth, the imaging is flat and just horizontal. The band is in a line in front of you(youre sitting in the first row) and not much differentiation of whos in front and whos in the back.

So if youre after an iem with 3D presentation of the band, or you also want to use it for gaming, not a set for you. Though not a dealbreaker for me, as it still has good instrument separation, excellent details, very clean bass, bass rumble is there and good tuning overall(best of any planar iem available so far?).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #173 of 4,264
Got my Timeless, first impressions are positive. Most things play great, though it might sound bit shouty at times to my ears, tracks with lot of high pitched instruments combined with high pitched female vocals can be an ear killer :). So imo not for kpop fans, although some kpop will sound good.
Edit: Forgot to add that tip rolling will eleviate the shoutiness with those tracks, as my test was done with the tips that came with it , which are wide bore. Narrow bore will tame the trebble and add some bass, but im yet to experiment with that.

Worth noting is that while it has good soundstage width wise, has height and depth, the imaging is flat and just horizontal. The band is in a line in front of you(youre sitting in the first row) and not much differentiation of whos in front and whos in the back.

So if youre after an iem with 3D presentation of the band, or you also want to use it for gaming, not a set for you. Though not a dealbreaker for me, as it still has good instrument separation, excellent details, very clean bass, bass rumble is there and good tuning overall(best of any planar iem available so far?).
Thanks for posting that. I have to ask, how much usage do you have on them? Mine should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday. I can say from fairly extensive experience, these will improve significantly over the next 150 hours. Treble should tame while bringing more detail, mids should get more lush and bass should develop with more texture. This has been my planar experience across the board and can't wait to play with these!

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #174 of 4,264
If the Soundstage puts the musicians before me in a row with depth, I'm fine with that. I don't need to be immersed among the performers lol.
Sure, i dont want to be with the band on the stage too, god forbid they perform badly and one of the audience throws a bottle and hits me in the head by mistake :p :).
Soundstage is good, i was talking about imaging, aka positioning objects in space.
Comment was as example that you cant tell that the drums are behind the guitar players, i sure wouldnt mind them having that sort of imaging capability, but alas. Still a great set.

Thanks for posting that. I have to ask, how much usage do you have on them? Mine should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday. I can say from fairly extensive experience, these will improve significantly over the next 150 hours. Treble should tame while bringing more detail, mids should get more lush and bass should develop with more texture. This has been my planar experience across the board and can't wait to play with these!

Have about 10-15 hours on them. Im more inclined to beleive in brain burn in than speaker one, though havent had a planar iem before, so well see how things go. Did change the tips to some narrower bore i had(4mm vs 5.5mm of the silicone ones they came with) and it does tame it pretty noticeably, but dont like the bass boost they also add, as at first listen it seems bit of the bass clarity is lost, and theyre already pretty bassy, much more than i actually expected. In line with Pink Lady and decent ammount more than Aria or Oxygen. In case anyone comments they lack bass, know you detected a basshead :)
So will have to find some middle ground with tips i suppose for the time being, listen to more tracks, and also see if anything changes after prolonged usage. Too early to come to a definite conclussion for the time being in that regard.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #175 of 4,264
Hi . I have 3 dongle dacs from 80mW to 190nW output power (Ibasso dc03-04, shanling ua1, e1da 9038s)
Have this little guys enough power to drive the Timeless well ? I sold my TRI I3 because they not..
Hello!
I bought the 7hz Timeless for my wife and I tested on Ovidius B1 DAC. Can't get a power output value for the Ovidius, but since it only draws 0.12W from the phone, I'm going to assume 120mw is a safe bet. It drove the IEMs beautifully. Wasn't getting anywhere near 50% volume and I tend to listen a little loud.
I think you'll have no problems with your dongles.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #176 of 4,264
The weakness for 7hz is at 2khz area . Just need to reduce to about -3 to -6 will be fine

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #177 of 4,264
Can't get a power output value for the Ovidius, but since it only draws 0.12W from the phone, I'm going to assume 120mw is a safe bet. It drove the IEMs beautifully. Wasn't getting anywhere near 50% volume and I tend to listen a little loud.
I think you'll have no problems with your dongles.
For the dongle to draw 0.12W from the phone it would need to draw around 250mA current which is waay too much for a dongle, they usually range 50-150mA. Even little mosters like E1DA dont draw more than 150mA, it was around 120mA if i recall correctly.
I assume you mean 0.12A? If so that would be approximately 600mw(0.6W) drawn from the phone, but still doesnt directly translate to power output of the dongle. Or maybe thats the power output of the dongle, 0.12W=120mW?
Either way i second this, not too powerfull source is needed, driven easily even on a phone without need to crank it up to max, so you stil have power budget left for spikes.

The weakness for 7hz is at 2khz area . Just need to reduce to about -3 to -6 will be fine
Yep, seen the FR charts, but im trying to get by without eq if possible. If it can get it where i want it with tips, more power to me :) . And either way, doesnt affect my library in significant way, song or two here and there. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, just measured the stock cable(3.5mm). While resistance is pretty good 0.2 Ohms(dont have miliohm meter for more precise numbers), the capacitance is ridiculously high compared to any other cable i have. 460 pF. Ive been taught that good cables have not more than 30pF per foot, and cables i frequently use have around 100pF or less for the full length(4 feet).
The moment i got it i switched the cable to short fiio one, so havent heard it and cant say does it screw up the sound and if it does, by how much.
One of my mmcx connectors is bit looser than the other, so not going to play around to test for this so i dont make it worse. Anyone willing to do some ear science and test, be my guest, the numbers suggest you should. I would be curios to hear your thoughts.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #178 of 4,264

If you source device has crossfeed, maybe try it out.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #179 of 4,264
"I think you'll have no problems with your dongles."
I just tested the Timeless with most of my dongles (attached to a Windows machine): The loudest (too loud for me) were HIDIZS Sonata HD, Musiland MU2 Plus, Zorloo ZuperDAC-S, Huawei CM21, GGMM A1 and an Apple dongle DAC.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #180 of 4,264
For the dongle to draw 0.12W from the phone it would need to draw around 250mA current which is waay too much for a dongle, they usually range 50-150mA. Even little mosters like E1DA dont draw more than 150mA, it was around 120mA if i recall correctly.
I assume you mean 0.12A? If so that would be approximately 600mw(0.6W) drawn from the phone, but still doesnt directly translate to power output of the dongle. Or maybe thats the power output of the dongle, 0.12W=120mW?
The power draw of 0.12W (120mW) is quoted on numerous sources. This is from HiFiGo's page. Google "Ovidius B1 Power" for more examples

Ovidius Power Draw.jpg

TaoBao pages selling the B1 say the same. I'm still not sure of power output but that is the advertised input, in watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back