Wired review of Mrice e300 - Buyer Beware
Aug 11, 2015 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lpg

New Head-Fier
Many here have seen the storm around this review: http://www.wired.com/2015/06/mrice-e300/

This post is just a PSA: buyer beware, the e300 sounds nothing like the e100.

I've ordered both the e100 and e300 based on this review.

1. These two models have nothing in common, regarding audio signature. I wonder if Rene Chun, the reviewer, listened to both of them.
2. Nowhere in the original reviews, does anyone say these two headsets sound similar.
3. No one is recommending the e300 on Headfi, or Reddit.
4. IMHO the e300 sounds like a $15 headset. And the e100 sounds like a fun ( yet uncomfortable and temperamental) $80 headset. Buyer beware.

Obviously the architectures of the models are very different, so there is no way they could sound the same. But if you are hoping on an outside chance they sound similar, stop now and save your money.

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 4
This is true and something I myself questioned about their review. I actually emailed them and never got a response...nor did anything in the review change.

I don't for the life of me understand why they reviewed the E300 while using the fame of the E100 to bolster it. 

Regardless my support for the company has faltered. As I told lpg, I was recently contacted by Baldoor themselves, all the way from China, telling me they'd like to send me some headphones for making them "popular" in China due to my original E100 review.

Well I received two pairs of E100's (among other things) and neither pair sounded anything like the ones I reviewed. After being told that it was old stock they apologized and sent me three "newer" pairs...with all three sounding exactly like the previous ones.

So because of this it would appear that the E100 I own and reviewed is not representative of what's out there in the mainstream. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Originally Posted by AndroidVageta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I received two pairs of E100's (among other things) and neither pair sounded anything like the ones I reviewed. After being told that it was old stock they apologized and sent me three "newer" pairs...with all three sounding exactly like the previous ones.

Do you know what batch is the good sounding ones, or the opposite? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back