7308 military usn cep gold pin AMPEREX tubes :eek: wow ( very first impressions )
Sep 9, 2004 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I stepped on these tubes , got a chance to take 4 of them for bargain I'm veeeery pleased ....
They are surely good tubes .
I was waiting my earmax pro to return from repairing so i decided trying the chances tuberolling the RP5 and having fun with it .

[size=medium]First impressions ( compared to std. RP5 tubes , philips military nos ) :
[/size]Bass improved over the std. philips ( extension , deepness, control )
percussions and drums in general sound closer to the listener authoritative along all the frq.
overall the sound feel more relaxed and intimate ( it seem a nonsense but i feel the sound both authoritative and relaxing , maybe this is for the bass control )
There's a bass "bump" but it's very focused it doesn't invest all the bass , is feeding the deep frqs. of the bass .
The mids and highs are a bit more flat and "closed" sounding

They sound a bit dry
confused.gif
I feel this behavior as quite strange for a tube and I'm liking this character more&more while listening

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Great tubes, the dryness is something some people like, others rate the tubes below the "normal" 6922 USA made white shield because of that.
There'd be no doubt in my mind if I would buy them if the price was right.
That same dryness you speak of can also be found in the better telefunkens that are used in the same positions (6dj8/6922) and compatibles but IMHO that can be dryness to a fault if paired with certain 12AT7's (in the EMP circuit at least)
Great find!.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 8
after 2 weeks listening -I'm listening to Dream Theater "Awake" now -

These tubes SLAP HARD
This sound is GOOOD .

Bass
Bass is deep , detail is all there . Bass is massive where the rec. was well done and wanted a massive bass to show (tubes show the bass ONLY where the record was meant to)

I can whole heartly reccomand this 7308 white label usn gold pin amperex tubes to anyone who's in search for a flat "good strong bass" tube as it's definitely not a midrangy tube .

[size=x-small]NOW , if i have to say about their flaws , let 's point them :
not the last word for dynamics ( a bit on the dry/flat side as yet said ) & not the last word for midrange presentation ( somewhat antitubby ) ..but what an easy to listen bass and what beautiful authority driving the bass [/size]

I also want to remember what i read reported on the web by some tubes reviewer : amperex tubes quite often suffer of a not astonishing soundstage .. i mean you have the soundstage , and it's beautiful presented , "but" it starts in the proximity (i feel quite "in" the sound , even if i can quite easily astray from music and try to take dimensions of the sound ..this tubes don't try too much to put things on a larage perspective )

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the review boodi, what color is the printing on the tubes?

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Wow, those are supposed to be a great set of tubes, joe rants about the series for quite a bit in his tube lore guide.

Wanna sell the other pair?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
Wow, those are supposed to be a great set of tubes, joe rants about the series for quite a bit in his tube lore guide.

Wanna sell the other pair?
smily_headphones1.gif

sent you a pm about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back