May 27, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Why don't you hear them first and then decide?
tongue.gif
I find that most speakers need a really great amp to shine though.

May 27, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 11
If you like them, keep them. If not, sell them. Why don't you ask your dad how good these speakers are, if you still remembers (he's the one that bought them and used them).

And by the way, every speaker cabinet is made of laminated particle board, except for the really expensive ones which uses real hardwood.

May 27, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 11
There is a diffrentiation between particle board and mdf and hdf though. This seems to be hd particleboard...no idea what it is. Given that it's Kenwood, it could still be particle board and not fiberboard territory. The difference I've seen between particleboard and fiberboard is the density of the particles. MDF is like 20x more dense than particleboard.

May 28, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 11
With my limited experience, when listening with a great amp, I've never heard any pair of speakers sound *bad.* Not as good as the other speakers, yes, but not *bad.* Why don't you pick up some nice amp to go with the speakers and use it for a while. Eventually, if you get a really nice amp, the amp can stay and the speakers can go
tongue.gif
It won't go to waste. I think you're the only one who will be able to decide if the speakers are good enough for you or not since no one has heard them before. A lot of old speakers are considered quite good by certain crowds.

May 29, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 11
The 140w bit is a maximum handling figure
tongue.gif
It really tells us nothing. The 8 ohm figure really tells us nothing without a minimum impedance number or a graph, either
tongue.gif
8 ohm is pretty standard, anything can drive it, depending on the slopes of the impedance curve. Really tells us nothing at all
tongue.gif

Maybe someone else has something better to say
frown.gif

My only possible suggestion is to get the beefiest amp you can afford so that no speaker in the you get in the future will have trouble getting driven. Now that I think of it, one of those new Panasonic digital amps should fit the bill pretty nicely.

May 29, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, the 45 is what you want, ideally. The 25 if you can get your hands on one. They're both discontinued.

Here's the cheapest price on froogle for the discontinued 45 model: http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/it...item_id=105046

Don't know about the store though. lan uses the xr-25 (lesser powered model, also discontinued) to drive his maggies, which are notoriously hard to drive. The new model numbers are the 50 and 70. The 50 just came out this month or so, and the 70 may not be out yet, I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back