71 IEM Brief Review thread (incl. Rhine Monitors, Cleartune, CustomArt)
Jan 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #121 of 366
I just heard another top scorer ciem- tied with the noble k10. Will update with Round 6 later.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #124 of 366
I am sad to say a certain IEM is not there as it was brought home by my colleague.

You guys have to drop by another day to try it.

Round 6 includes impressions from a Scandinavian CIEM.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #126 of 366
Round 6. In this round: Lear LCM-5, Lear BD 4.2, Dita Answer, Dita Answer Truth Edition, ATH IM04, Aurisonic Rockets, M-Fidelity SA-43.

PS, in this round I also did a follow-up, and updated the scores of the following IEMs from Round 1: Noble 4, Noble 8C, Legend R. All three were adjusted upwards. I also add the 1964 V6 to that round.

Lear LCM-5 ($970)
The Lear LCM-5 is the Hong-Kong based Lear Audio's 5-driver BA flagship. If there ever was a 'house sound', this was it. The LCM-5 sounds very unique. It has a stunning 3D effect- almost- and this is the first time I've ever said this for any IEM- as if a Dolby Digital surround system was on. I could hear lots of echo and reflections. Very interesting. Strangely, though, the soundstage wasn't so big. In terms of its temperature, the LCM-5 was definitely bright. The bass was punchy with no hint of mud, but definitely lighter than I'm used to. The mids and highs were energetic, but there was a sense of sharpness through the sound, and the LCM-5 was definitely walking on the tight-rope of sibilance. In fact, the LCM-5 sounded almost metallic at times.

Update 1: I got a chance to hear the LCM-5 in custom form, having bumped into a fellow audiophile who happened to have one. The tinny metallic sound was all but gone. The surround image was reduced a tad too, but this trade-off was all too worth it. In custom form, I could now focus much more on listening to the clear, forward mids, and of course the energetic treble was still there. It still had issues- especially in the bass. There was not enough subbass, and the mid-bass was also a bit recessed + a tad light for my tastes. Nonetheless, this is definitely a top-tier IEM, and I've revised my score upwards.

Lear LCM-5 Score: 9.5-9.6

Lear BD 4.2 ($1399)
In conjunction with the LCM-5, Lear Audio also has a hybrid flagship, the BD 4.2. As the name indicates, the drivers are split 4-2. 4 BA drivers, and 2 dynamic drivers. The BD 4.2 also comes with a bass attenuator, which was not subtle at all. The effect of the bass adjustment from 0 to 100 basically made these IEMs go from one of the most bass-light, brightest IEMs around (albeit with mid-bass that becomes too sharp for my liking), to one of the heaviest and warmest IEMs out there. This was a great quality bass too- when tuned up, it was hard hitting and full of texture. Nonetheless, the Lear house sound was still very much present. Relevant keywords here: sharp, edgy, metallic, surround-sound. The treble was even slightly more energetic and aggressive than on the LCM-5- probably to synchronize better with the bass monsters that the BD 4.2 can become. PS: score is higher because the bass tune feature has a very big and real impact on the sound.

Update 1: With my experience of the LCM-5 fresh in my mind, I went to try the LCM BD4.2 again, with the mindset that the tinny, metallic sound will probably be greatly reduced in full custom form. Looking past that, I really started to appreciate just how good this bass was. Wow, that bass. It sounded a lot like my 846- probably because they both have a low-pass filter. This was fast, clean, taut bass with good reverb underneath. Overall the sound was clean, composed, effortless and fun. While highly technical, these are not analytical IEMs. Because someone asked, I also paid special attention to the mids this time. They're a bit recessed, and dry in character. Overall, the mids were even and clear. I have now revised the score upwards. I thought enough of it the second time round, to place my own order for an LCM BD4.2. I'll soon find out first hand if my assumptions on the tinny sound are true.

Lear LCM BD 4.2 Score: 9.7

Dita Answer (Truth Edition) ($999)

Hot on the heels of the Lear CIEMs is another pair of IEMs with their own unique identity. I've heard the Dita pair been referred to as "speaker-like", and I can finally hear why. The Dita Answer Truth Edition has an extremely organic sound that seems almost 'analog' in nature. The mids aren't lush, but they are nonetheless very detailed and have great presence. The Dita Answer Truth is also very airy, with a big soundstage. Imaging is excellent. The bass is very textured and smooth, and actually quite fast and clean for a dynamic driver. The treble is energetic, but sometimes a bit sharp and edgy.

Dita Answer (Truth Edition) Score: 9.4-9.5

Dita The Answer ($649)

The Answer is supposed the exact same IEM as the Truth Edition, except that the latter has an upgraded cable. The differences between the two are obvious and significant. The Answer loses some clarity compared to its sibling, and the tightness of the bass is also reduced. There is also some congestion on more complex passages. The imaging and soundstage are both downgraded a bit, and finally the sound also sounds edgier.

Dita The Answer Score: 9.3

ATH IM04 ($520)

The IM04 is the flagship of the IM line from Audio-Technica, and boasts 4 BA drivers. The quality definitely shows. Fans of vocal-centric IEMs rejoice- the mids on these are lush and forward, with good air. The bass is unfortunately a bit light, but still tight (which I personally find more important) and fast. The treble is energetic with no sibilance. Overall, the IM04 is a fun, fast sound with good clarity. Things to improve are few, but the soundstage is only above average in size, and the imaging is merely average. The sound could also be a bit smoother.

ATH IM04 Score: 9.2

Aurisonics Rockets ($249)

The Rockets are really a hidden gem. They have a lush midrange that's not too forward, but still airy. There is that tight and textured bass that I love. I would ideally like to have a tad more bass, but they're certainly not bass-lite, and no one would label them bass monsters either. The soundstage is big, and the imaging is good. The clarity on the Rockets is also very good- but not as good as that of the IM04. Overall, they have a very smooth sound that was very enjoyable to listen to. One thing I thought it could improve on, though, was that I could sometimes hear the Rockets straining. It couldn't quite reach the effortless heights that IEMs one tier up (like the Westone W60) are able to get to.

Aurisonics Rockets Score: 9.2

M-Fidelity SA-43 ($840)

The M-Fidelity SA-43's been out for a while, but a new demo set just came in, so I took a listen. For those who are not familiar with this, this is the flagship IEM of the company formerly known as Starkey Norway. These are fairly unique in that they have two switches to change the sound for. A bass switch, and a presence switch. The effect of the bass switch is relatively subtle. Turning it on adds some warmth and musicality, and a slight increase in bass quantity. Even with the bass switch off, these have good tight bass. Quite different from the effect of the bass switch, the presence switch is like a Dr Jekyl-Mr Hyde affair. The difference is gigantic. Turning it on, the mids are suddenly brought forward, and the clarity is brought a notch up. The soundstage doesn't change, but all warmness suddenly disappears. I don't generally like to write in metaphors, but this felt like the rays of the rising sun had suddenly and abruptly sliced through all traces of the morning haze. Switches aside, the SA-43 has a very clear and organic sound. With all switches off, it sounds quite neutral to my ears, with the mids being a tad recessed. The treble is didn't leave much of an impression- but it wasn't recessed. In general, I think I still prefer the other IEMs that I'd scored the same as the SA-43, but I give the SA-43 props for being tuneable and flexible in a very credible way. This is certainly not one of those IEMs where you'll end up choosing a single configuration 'cause that's obviously so much better.

M-Fidelity SA-43 Score: 9.5

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #127 of 366
Ok so thanks to Kenz we managed to have a go on his awesomely beautiful custom Legend R. 

And oh my the first thing i did when i saw his clear blue Legend R is to fondle it and stare at it with delight,it is really beautiful!!! The workmanship is top notch and everything within the shell is packed very neatly. Furthermore, there is just no flaw on the acrylic case. The clear blue color is just astonishingly blue.

Ok now to its sound, this is another big surprise! The custom sounded so much different as compared to the demo set. The bass is so much more defined and its there when needed, and never once did it overpowered the sweet and delightful mids that i loved from the demo set. The soundstage is absolutely a marvel to listen too!! This is really one CIEM that is a must get. It is just really very neutral, and the sound signature is just a delight to listen to!

Ok now moving on to the K10…. Previously, i had sibilance issues on the demo K10 with my Z2, now i brought my DX90, and i still suffer from the same sibilance issue… However, i tried ZH's prestige and to my delight the CIEM sounds so much better!! No sibilance issues at all! The soundstage sounded a little bit smaller as compared to the Legend R CIEM but i cant be very sure as it was force fitted into my ear. The mids and the treble sounded very lush and full bodied and now i can finally understand why people raves about the K10. However, as compared to the Legend R CIEM, i would say i prefer the Legend instead as i love the neutrality of the Legend and its bass appeals to me more.

Now, i also give the Noble 4 and Noble 8C another try since i tend to try to compare between the same drivers type of IEM, Noble 8C to me is not as worth it as compared to N4. The mids sounded a tad more recessed for my liking and its bass just wasn't what i liked. The N4's mids are way more forward similar to the shures 535 reds but its soundstage is airer and wider. Though the mids of the N4 are not as refined as the N8. So to be honest for the price point of both the N4 and the N8c, i think getting 1964's V8 is a much much better deal. Better and more impactful bass, and a much clearer and refined mids.

I also tried the M-fidelity and i think it will be better to hear what Jelt has to say as its actually a really very cool IEM with multiple sound signatures to change on the go:).

Moving on to our trip at E1, we tested the DITAs the IM04 and vision ears V6CX.

Onto the DITAs, i just simply dont liked how it sounded. It's sound signature is just something i dont feel used to after coming from years of listening to Balance Amartures IEMs. It's bass sounds like a typical dynamic driver type of sound with very great analogue feel. The mids however just isnt as refine and lush as the BAs. As compared to the rockets which cost significantly lesser, i would think that the rockets beats the DITA 100% any time.

Vision ears V6 is simply a delight to listen too, its just so clear. The sound signature can be said to focus on as much clarity as possible and it really is a very clear pair of IEM. The bass is very impactful and accurate albeit the V8's bass is still the best i have heard. Playing around with the 2 different modes are fun too with one of the modes making the soundstage way more expansive as usual!

Lastly before we left, i tried Jelt's Hugo on my iphone5s and wow it makes my rockets sounded so much better then on the DX90 or Cowon, it made the soundstage even wider and imaging to be much more refine. The mids sounded sweet as per Aurisonic's house sound and i think its one of the better sounding dynamic driver IEM in the market, however with the Hugo the Rockets is just outta the world!!

Overall, a real awesome day at MS and E1 meeting Jelt and Kenz makes the whole demoing session even more worthwhile!

Thank you guys :D

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #128 of 366
Darn everyone has a Legend coming and i only have a Supra coming… I need to do something about this LOL.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #129 of 366
Hi jelt2359,

I need your recommendation on this one. What do you think is the one closer to V6-Stage? How about the Noble K10?

So far these are my options. Planning to get one in e-earphone.jp as it is cheaper:

- ATH-IM03 (26,200 yen -- around US$218)
- FX850 (26,670 yen -- around US$222)
- FX1100 (46,570 yen -- around US$387)
- Westone W30 (34,200 yen -- around US$284)
- Westone W40 (44,350 yen for brand new, 31,700 yen for used -- around US$369 for brand new, around US$264 for used)
- SE535LTD-J (46,210 yen -- around US$384)

They actually fall below US$400. I think it is more feasible for me compared with below US$500.

Fit is also one of the things I consider since I have small ears. I also thought of ATH-IM70 since it is much cheaper (10,670 yen -- around US$89) but according to some the housing is too big. I haven't tried one yet, though.

Edit:

Personally, I like to get that used Westone W40 for US$264. It's really a good deal if you'd ask me. Got to have to check the overall package though for any inconsistencies/defects. I am just waiting for people's feedbacks and impressions. Maybe they have something to say.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #130 of 366
  Hi jelt2359,

I need your recommendation on this one. What do you think is the one closer to V6-Stage? How about the Noble K10?

So far these are my options. Planning to get one in e-earphone.jp as it is cheaper:

- ATH-IM03 (26,200 yen -- around US$218)
- FX850 (26,670 yen -- around US$222)
- FX1100 (46,570 yen -- around US$387)
- Westone W30 (34,200 yen -- around US$284)
- Westone W40 (44,350 yen for brand new, 31,700 yen for used -- around US$369 for brand new, around US$264 for used)
- SE535LTD-J (46,210 yen -- around US$384)

They actually fall below US$400. I think it is more feasible for me compared with below US$500.

Fit is also one of the things I consider since I have small ears. I also thought of ATH-IM70 since it is much cheaper (10,670 yen -- around US$89) but according to some the housing is too big. I haven't tried one yet, though.

Edit:

Personally, I like to get that used Westone W40 for US$264. It's really a good deal if you'd ask me. Got to have to check the overall package though for any inconsistencies/defects. I am just waiting for people's feedbacks and impressions. Maybe they have something to say.

Hi,

The V6S and the Westone W40 are both very capable IEMs. The V6S is a much clearer, more neutral IEM. The W40 is warmer, but done very well- it actually ends up sounding very smooth and refined, rather than overly bassy. Among your list, the W40 would be the 'closest' to a K10, although the K10 has more impactful bass and a more aggressive sound. The FX850 and FX1100 you can strike off your list immediately unless you're open to modding or eq-ing them. They are probably among the bassiest, warmest IEMs I've ever heard, stock.

The SE535LTD-J has mids that are more forward, and bass that is much lighter, than the V6S. I don't think you'll enjoy the balance of low vs mids vs highs on it, if your reference is the V6S and the K10.

I have not heard the ATH-IM03. The ATH-IM04 may be another good option. Less warm than the W40, and probably closer to the V6S signature than any of the others you have mentioned here. It is, however, lighter in the bass department than the V6S.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #131 of 366
  Darn everyone has a Legend coming and i only have a Supra coming… I need to do something about this LOL.

Good choice bro. Given you already have the Rockets, I would do the same!

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #132 of 366
  Hi,

The V6S and the Westone W40 are both very capable IEMs. The V6S is a much clearer, more neutral IEM. The W40 is warmer, but done very well- it actually ends up sounding very smooth and refined, rather than overly bassy. Among your list, the W40 would be the 'closest' to a K10, although the K10 has more impactful bass and a more aggressive sound. The FX850 and FX1100 you can strike off your list immediately unless you're open to modding or eq-ing them. They are probably among the bassiest, warmest IEMs I've ever heard, stock.

The SE535LTD-J has mids that are more forward, and bass that is much lighter, than the V6S. I don't think you'll enjoy the balance of low vs mids vs highs on it, if your reference is the V6S and the K10.

I have not heard the ATH-IM03. The ATH-IM04 may be another good option. Less warm than the W40, and probably closer to the V6S signature than any of the others you have mentioned here. It is, however, lighter in the bass department than the V6S.

Thanks jelt2359! So it is a toss between Westone W40 and ATH-IM04 (both 4 drivers!). I think I am more inclined to get the Westone W40 due to its attractive price (the ATH-IM04 is 57,690 yen -- around US$479).

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #133 of 366

Thanks jelt2359! So it is a toss between Westone W40 and ATH-IM04 (both 4 drivers!). I think I am more inclined to get the Westone W40 due to its attractive price (the ATH-IM04 is 57,690 yen -- around US$479).

For what it's worth, I had them both rated the same. So yes, it is a toss up in my opinion. If you'd prefer a more laid back, relaxing and smooth signature, go for the W40. One thing about the IM04, though- it actually has forward mids somewhat like the Shure. So while it's clarity and signature is similar to the V6S, in the mids it is different.

Other good options at the Westone W40 price range, I didn't recommend previously because it sounded like you were primarily interested in IEMs that are good deals in Japan, are the Fidue A83 and the Dunu DN-2000. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #134 of 366
  For what it's worth, I had them both rated the same. So yes, it is a toss up in my opinion. If you'd prefer a more laid back, relaxing and smooth signature, go for the W40. One thing about the IM04, though- it actually has forward mids somewhat like the Shure. So while it's clarity and signature is similar to the V6S, in the mids it is different.

Other good options at the Westone W40 price range, I didn't recommend previously because it sounded like you were primarily interested in IEMs that are good deals in Japan, are the Fidue A83 and the Dunu DN-2000. 

I didn't include DN-2000 because it does not have detachable cable. For its price, this should come with detachable cable. So no for me (despite of all the praises it is receiving).

As for Fidue A83, the fit, as I have read here, is not up to par with those I have chosen (well, to be fair, some IEMs I have chosen were not really the best in comfort). Or maybe I just don't like it.
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #135 of 366

I didn't include DN-2000 because it does not have detachable cable. For its price, this should come with detachable cable. So no for me (despite of all the praises it is receiving).

As for Fidue A83, the fit, as I have read here, is not up to par with those I have chosen (well, to be fair, some IEMs I have chosen were not really the best in comfort). Or maybe I just don't like it.
tongue.gif

Unless the IEM is super huge, I think fit is generally a personal issue. That being said, I loved the fit of the Westone W series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back