7 year old AKG K702s need replacing, Is there anything better out there today?
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rc10mike

100+ Head-Fier
After 7 years of daily use including 3 deployments traveling all over the world, my AKG K702 65th Anni Edition are ready to be retired. What I loved about these the most is 1: Comfort and 2: Sound. These are the best gaming headphones Ive ever had. Ive attempted to replace them many times with other (even high end) sets but always ended up going back to them.

I realize I could just go with the K712s or K7XXs but Im also wondering if anyone else out there once loved the K702s but then found something they like better...

I very much only prefer sets that are open back and velour type pads. Ive tried quite a few over the years like the DT990, Sennheiser, MMX 300, and many more that I cant recall the names.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 4
What did you do in the service?
Where did you get deployed?
What sources or DAC/amps will you plug the headphones into?
I'm guessing you should go for the K702 or K712.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm still active duty. Aircraft mechanic. So far the K702s have made it on most of my trips to Japan, Italy, Iceland, Singapore, Guam and a lot of other places.

I like simulated surround when playing games so I've used devices like Dolby Headphone Av receivers, Beyerdynamic Headzone, and currently I use a Steel series GameDAC. It's not the most powerful but it works fine.

If I could find a black K7xx in stock I would probably just settle with that.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm still active duty. Aircraft mechanic. So far the K702s have made it on most of my trips to Japan, Italy, Iceland, Singapore, Guam and a lot of other places.
I like simulated surround when playing games so I've used devices like Dolby Headphone Av receivers, Beyerdynamic Headzone, and currently I use a Steel series GameDAC. It's not the most powerful but it works fine.
If I could find a black K7xx in stock I would probably just settle with that.
K7XX should match the K702 or K712 for headphone surround sound, but I'm guessing you will lose a little in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back