7 drum hits -> What do you hear?
Jun 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 109
I'm hearing just like the first picture.

Ultrasone Pro 900 through a PA2V2 and a NI Audio 2 DJ.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 109
I'd say more towards the first, but thats likely due to my crossfeed filter, stuffed earpads, and markl wood cups.

I think stock it would have been more towards the second

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 109
I'm wondering, is there a universal right or wrong to this test?  Like did the creators of it intend it to be like the first or second image-- and with what equipment?  Or is it just a psycho-acustic thing.

If it's supposed to be like the first image, then I guess it'd be a nice way to do some tweeking to the rig.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 109

Quote:
From what it seems with no offense implied, recessing the midrange creates the 1st image? Since it seems the Pro 900, AKG K701, and Grados have been reported to have the 1st image.

My first thought was due to driver type or housing design but since these all tie into how the sound spectrum is presented to the ear, it goes hand in hand with what you are saying. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 109
K601's out of a Little Dot I+ sound like the second one.

I always did feel like certain sounds sounded too far to the side. Particularly with games, if I'm firing a weapon often time it will sound like it's coming from the far right.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 109
The file is used to setup a stereo speaker setup. If set up 100% the 7 drums will be portrayed like the first graphic shows.

On any headphone, and any headphone amp, I´ve tried; the second graphic represents what I hear.

Bottom line: The file is NOT intended for head-fi, but merely stereo speakers. It is therefore quite interesting that some post that they perceive to hear graphic no. 1 via headphones. I´m not implying they hear wrong. I´m just quite baffled.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #23 of 109
I'm hearing the first picture

Setup is pretty simple

Grado SR60i connected to my Acer Aspire laptop which uses a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 sound card

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 109

Quote:
My first thought was due to driver type or housing design but since these all tie into how the sound spectrum is presented to the ear, it goes hand in hand with what you are saying. 

Quote:
From what it seems with no offense implied, recessing the midrange creates the 1st image? Since it seems the Pro 900, AKG K701, and Grados have been reported to have the 1st image.

I wonder which hardware feature exactly makes for the spatial awareness.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #25 of 109
First
cheap Cambridge Soundworks Computer Speakers
Grado SR80

Second
Shure 440
Beyerdynamics DT880/250 (though not quite as bad as the picture, the first and last are definitely further out.)

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 109

Quote:
The file is used to setup a stereo speaker setup. If set up 100% the 7 drums will be portrayed like the first graphic shows.

On any headphone, and any headphone amp, I´ve tried; the second graphic represents what I hear.

Bottom line: The file is NOT intended for head-fi, but merely stereo speakers. It is therefore quite interesting that some post that they perceive to hear graphic no. 1 via headphones. I´m not implying they hear wrong. I´m just quite baffled.

Ok, now I'm even more puzzled on why I listened to the first picture. I ran it a few times and the result was always the same. Could this result be related to the S-Logic Plus tech used by Ultrasone? I ask because it seems to go beyond mere decentralized drivers and psychoacoustic tweaks.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #28 of 109
I´ve used Stax SR-007mkII and SRM-007tmkII and the second graphic still prevails...sorry. I repeat that the file is not made for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back