6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 2, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #6,736 of 7,413
Life is short, enjoy it why you can. :o2smile:

LOL! This should be in the first line of the tube rollers constitution: "We the tube rollers, in order to form a more perfect listening experience..."

Well, that would be the USA version anyway. :)

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #6,737 of 7,413
Finally scored a W! I am pumped to hear what it is all about! Time to see if my Tung Sol BGRP, can get dethroned.

Check out this beauty, on its way to me. :smiley:
20200702_190505.jpg
20200702_190453.jpg

The tube looks gorgeous!

Sylvania W metal bass is notorious for having cracked base, just like tung sol mouse ears. How the hell Sylvania managed to create cracks in metal....I could never figure out...:deadhorse:

But the one you bought is in pristine condition...one of the few W metal bases with such good conditions that I've seen.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #6,738 of 7,413
LOL! This should be in the first line of the tube rollers constitution: "We the tube rollers, in order to form a more perfect listening experience..."

Well, that would be the USA version anyway. :)

"Life is short, enjoy it while you can." :beyersmile:

I want to add another slogan to tube rollers threads that I posted on BHC forum long time ago, "So Many Tubes, So Little Time." :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #6,739 of 7,413
"Life is short, enjoy it while you can." :beyersmile:

I want to add another slogan to tube rollers threads that I posted on BHC forum long time ago, "Too Many Tubes, Too Little Time." :beyersmile:

LOL! But to be my usual nitpicky self, "too many tubes" is an urban legend. :) I'm guessing that with an estimated ~2500 hours of life from a tube (which is probably conservative depending on tube type) I'm pretty well stocked up until 4036, maybe 4037. But I'm just thinking forward about my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren (with apologies for my likely flawed generational math). :)

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #6,740 of 7,413
Sylvania W metal bass is notorious for having cracked base, just like tung sol mouse ears. How the hell Sylvania managed to create cracks in metal....I could never figure out...:deadhorse:

Most of the time it's caused by an improper relationship in the ductility (malleability, or "stretch") in the metal and the forming process employed. I've been in the metal fabrication business most of my adult life (ie: since 2019 :)), and metal with low ductility requires a much slower or multiple step forming process to allow the stresses created by the forming to stabilize. Putting a tight radius bend (like on a tube base) too quickly with a low ductility metal will cause stress cracks. Of course materials science and the precision of alloy content in most metals has come a long, long way since these tubes were made in the '50's, and while the processes developed back then may have been fine for a metal with a perfect alloy mix, any variance in that alloy content could upset the whole apple cart (and those variances were probably more the norm than the exception back in those days).

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #6,741 of 7,413
Sweet! And a Navy military spec to boot. Interested to hear your thoughts on it when you get it. I have a couple of the micanol based versions, but the metal based ones are supposed to be another step up from those.
I also have one with a black base (Tronal branded) and short bottle, but never listened to it. Looked at the price - holy crap. Found it in the stash and stuck it in Vali 2. Oh well. I see why they go for $300... A step UP from this?

6SN7W.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #6,742 of 7,413
I also have one with a black base (Tronal branded) and short bottle, but never listened to it. Looked at the price - holy crap. Found it in the stash and stuck it in Vali 2. Oh well. I see why they go for $300... A step UP from this?

6SN7W.jpg

Well, that's why I said "supposed." :) :)

I've never had or heard a metal base version myself. Who knows...perhaps there's no sonic difference at all, and the metal-base prices are driven mostly by rarity.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #6,743 of 7,413
Well, that's why I said "supposed." :) :)

I've never had or heard a metal base version myself. Who knows...perhaps there's no sonic difference at all, and the metal-base prices are driven mostly by rarity.
rfparts sell them for $157 apiece. I would be tempted if I were you :k701smile:

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #6,744 of 7,413
rfparts sell them for $157 apiece. I would be tempted if I were you :k701smile:

Thanks. NOT! Of course I'm tempted, but I'm already a month behind in unlistened-to tubes. :)

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #6,745 of 7,413
Finally scored a W! I am pumped to hear what it is all about! Time to see if my Tung Sol BGRP, can get dethroned.

Check out this beauty, on its way to me. :smiley:
20200702_190505.jpg
20200702_190453.jpg

Congrats on this find....the top rung of the Sylvania ladder of 6SN7

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #6,746 of 7,413
Congrats on this find....the top rung of the Sylvania ladder of 6SN7
Thanks! The only other Sylvania 6SN7 I own, are some "52' Bad Boys" and I love them, so I am anxious to hear the most famous Sylvania of them all.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #6,748 of 7,413
Thanks! The only other Sylvania 6SN7 I own, are some "52' Bad Boys" and I love them, so I am anxious to hear the most famous Sylvania of them all.
Please tell us when you try them, will wait jealously

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #6,749 of 7,413
Look what just got delivered! :o2smile: I have to say this tube looks even prettier in person, and just might be one of the coolest looking tubes I own. This is gonna be a fun night!

20200709_162803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back