6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #6,453 of 7,413
Hello all! I'm looking for a replacement for my Sylvania Bad Boys. Something with the same tonality that brings more to the table in terms of soundstage, transparency, palpability, etc. I already have the Tung-Sol BGRP, but find them to be cooler in my system even though I like most of their virtues.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #6,454 of 7,413
Hello all! I'm looking for a replacement for my Sylvania Bad Boys. Something with the same tonality that brings more to the table in terms of soundstage, transparency, palpability, etc. I already have the Tung-Sol BGRP, but find them to be cooler in my system even though I like most of their virtues.

With that wish list I would give the National Union black glass a try. Or better (and warmer) still, get a Mullard ECC33. I have both and prefer them over my Sylvies.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #6,455 of 7,413
Unfortunately the ECC33 is incompatible with my amp. The National Union should be as it's a standard 6SN7. I'll give them a try.

Any other suggestions from other members will be appreciated.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #6,456 of 7,413
Perhaps, a Brimar black glass 6sn7gt? I went from Bad Boys to the Brimar 6sn7gt, and seem to have experienced just what you are looking for.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #6,457 of 7,413
@Wes S I have two National Union Black Glass incoming. I've been eyeing the Brimars but I'm not sure which variation I need to get. There are so many kinds. Can you elaborate on the properties of the pair you have and why you picked them over the others?

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #6,458 of 7,413
@Wes S I have two National Union Black Glass incoming. I've been eyeing the Brimars but I'm not sure which variation I need to get. There are so many kinds. Can you elaborate on the properties of the pair you have and why you picked them over the others?
There are a few variations of the Brimar 6sn7gt, and I have 2 pairs, that differ slightly in construction but sound nearly the same. I have been told the clear glass, sound similar as well. To elaborate, they have the warmth similar to the bad boys, but have a bit better clarity in the mids, with a bit better extension on both ends, with the biggest soundstage I have heard, from any other 6sn7gt. Hard to describe the sound, but there is just something magical with Brimar tubes, in that they have great clarity and extension, without ever getting harsh. I will post some pics of mine, when I get home from work.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #6,459 of 7,413
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have a pair of both the National Union Black Glass, and the Brimars incoming. I'll be using them in a Line Magnetic 508ia power amp.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #6,461 of 7,413
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have a pair of both the National Union Black Glass, and the Brimars incoming. I'll be using them in a Line Magnetic 508ia power amp.
Sorry, I forgot the pics of my Brimar black glass.

Here is what they look like. These pics were taken by the forum member, I bought them from. My friend Stavros, also known as @rosgr63, is who I bought these amazing tubes from.
XkaDopZ.jpg

hXiNt8o.jpg

yLJaHYH.jpg

UKmVLlZ.jpg

njQi9cx.jpg

Both pairs sound the same to me, and are magical.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #6,462 of 7,413
Stavros sold me a U52 last year and it's been working great. He's a great asset to this forum.

This is the tube I ordered off eBay:
s-l1600.jpg

It resembles the black base version you posted above. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm reassured now.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6,463 of 7,413
Sorry, I forgot the pics of my Brimar black glass.

Here is what they look like. These pics were taken by the forum member, I bought them from. My friend Stavros, also known as @rosgr63, is who I bought these amazing tubes from.
XkaDopZ.jpg

hXiNt8o.jpg

yLJaHYH.jpg

UKmVLlZ.jpg

njQi9cx.jpg

Both pairs sound the same to me, and are magical.

Nice camera there, btw. What do you use?

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #6,464 of 7,413
Nice camera there, btw. What do you use?
Stavros, will have to chime in on that. Those are his pics, and now they are my tubes. :wink:

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #6,465 of 7,413
Stavros sold me a U52 last year and it's been working great. He's a great asset to this forum.

This is the tube I ordered off eBay:

It resembles the black base version you posted above. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm reassured now.
Those are super tall looking, and look like some of the earliest versions of that tube. I have noticed that the earlier versions seem to have taller glass, and I was always curious if this made any difference to the sound. Seems like of all my tubes, the tall glass are my preference, but I am not sure if that really makes a difference or it is just a coincidence?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back