1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

6SN7 Tube Addicts

First

Back
398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407
409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418
Next

Last
  1. Scutey
    That's brilliant, thanks Oskari, this may well be the one, I shall contact them tomorrow!.

2. Mshenay Contributor
    MY PSvanne is in, warming it up with some TV atm, will chime in with specifics in a couple of days

3. Scutey
    Hi @Mshenay, good to hear you've got them, I'm torn between the Shuguangs and the Psvane, so will be interested to hear what you think of them, one more thing would you mind if I ask who you purchased them from?.

4. Mshenay Contributor
    eBay there's an official re-seller there and I don't have a Shugang sadly, just the Psvane

5. Scutey
    Hi, @Mshenay. How are you getting on with the PSvane's, have you come to any conclusions as to how they sound?.

6. Sound Eq
    hi everyone, i have the hifiman ef100 tube amp,

https://www.headfonia.com/review-hifiman-ef100-the-hybrid-amp/

can anyone recommend better tube amps than its stock, and if you can just write few words what each next level of tubes can provide

my prefered sound sig is warm, tight bass , wide soundstage, rich full vocals

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. gibosi
    The hifiman ef100 is designed around the 2C51, also known as 6N3J, 6N3P, 396A and 5670, which is a miniature 9-pin all-glass tube. While it might be possible to use the 6SN7, it would definitely require a pin-adapter. And further, there might not be enough room for the larger 6SN7 to fit without modifications.

Possible upgrades to the stock 6N3J include Sylvania and Bendix.

8. Sound Eq
    can i ask would sylvania and bendix need and adaptor or would they fit as is

and what sound differences if any to stock would I expect

9. gibosi
    First of all, the Sylvania and Bendix versions of the 6N3J do not need adapters. They are plug and play. Since these tubes were marketed under several different tube numbers I find it most useful to search separately for each number. For example, go to eBay and do several searches: "396A tube", "5670 tube", "2c51 tube". You will see Sylvania, Bendix and other brands.

My current amp uses 6SN7. In a previous amp I used to roll 2C51 tubes, but that was quite some time ago and I no longer remember much about their sound. I do remember that I favored the Sylvania and Bendix, but again, can't remember why....

10. ericr
  11. ericr
    Garage1217 makes some very nice amps and a few very high quality tube adapters as well.

One pin-converts so an 8-pin 6SN7 can be installed in place of the 9-pin 12AX7 and its many related tubes.

Another pin-converts so an 8-pin 6SN7 can be installed in place of the 9-pin 5670 / 2C51 / 396a and related tubes

NOTE: Check for compatablity with your amp manufacturer before using different tubes. While adapters make them fit, they do not change the electrical properties of a tube.

http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_012.htm

12. rgmffn
    There was recent chatter in one of the threads around here about the Tung Sol 6sn7 GT Mouse Ears, so I thought I'd try one. I'm using a Project Ember ll and have two Sylvania 6sn7 GTB's, a Ken-Rad 6sn7 GT, and another Sylvania 6sn7 GT to compare to. One of the Sylvania GTB's is a standout and my favorite.

I found one on eBay that said 'New Listing' , whatever that means. It was reasonable so I grabbed it. It appears to have been a good decision. Comparing to my best Sylvania, it is cleaner sounding with better upper detail which gives the sensation of more air. Better midrange, vocals. The bass is not as strong but tighter. But that is easily remedied with the Schiit Loki. It also has a silent noise floor unlike the Sylvania that has slight noise on the left channel.

The tube of course was listed as a Tung Sol but there is nothing on it that I can detect what, exactly it is. I'm thinking maybe that the tube was funky and the vendor might have cleaned it up, removing any markings. Does that sound plausible? The other thing is that it has a brown base. (It might be a little hard to tell in the pic) I can't find any information on brown base Tong Sol 6sn7 GT Mouse Ears.

Is there a way to tell exactly what this is for sure?

Edit to add: It's a very dark brown on the base. Maybe that's not considered brown?

IMG_0958.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  13. Scutey
    Decide to take the plunge and have my biggest ever spend on tubes for a pair of Psvanes CV 181-T MKII, always a gamble as to whether you'll like them or not, this is a bigger gamble than most though! s-l1600.jpg,.jpg

canthearyou likes this.
  14. TheSnafu
    If i use tube adapter to use 6SN7 tubes instead of 6922's. What kind of change in sound can i except ? I have Copland CTA301 mkII (6922) pre amp.
    https://www.tubedepot.com/products/6sn7-to-6922-adapter

btw, can i use tubes like above CV 181-T MKII with this same adapter ?

Thanks&cheers

15. canthearyou
    These are my endgame tubes. They get better every day! 20180306_160355.jpg

Scutey likes this.
First

Back
398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407
409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418
Next

Last