6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 27, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #5,852 of 7,413
I have long been a fan of the Sylvania WGT. Excellent sounding tube that does everything well and nothing poorly. Maybe not the very best at any one thing, but overall a very, very good sounding tube that's unfailingly musical.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #5,854 of 7,413
I just spent an hour comparing the W to the WGT, my comment about more bass growl in the W is right on and, I think the W retrieves more tiny details than the WGT does.

I could certainly live with either tube, though.

Cheers...

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,855 of 7,413
Thanks guys. The differences don't seem all that worth it, considering I use the Ken Rads when Im craving bass, and have the ECC31 incoming.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5,857 of 7,413
  The ECC31's are very nice. Among my favorites.

Considering they are the same as ECC32 with adapters, and Ive heard and enjoyed the ECC32! However both the pairs of ECC32 that Ive heard, had noise on them (One much more than the other), which I dont hear on on the 6SN7 That I have. It felt like the tubes were borderline going bad, but I could be wrong. The ECC31 are NOS, so hopefully they dont have that issue.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #5,858 of 7,413
The ECC31/32 has an amplification factor of 32, whereas the 6SN7's amplification factor is 20. In my experience, a driver with a higher amplification factor can be a bit noisier as it tends to be more sensitive to transformer hum. But of course, every amp is different....

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #5,859 of 7,413

Considering they are the same as ECC32 with adapters, and Ive heard and enjoyed the ECC32! However both the pairs of ECC32 that Ive heard, had noise on them (One much more than the other), which I dont hear on on the 6SN7 That I have. It felt like the tubes were borderline going bad, but I could be wrong. The ECC31 are NOS, so hopefully they dont have that issue.

Hi Jozurr.

I have tried four NOS ECC31s in my 6SN7 driver-based Feliks-Audio Elise and haven't had the slightest hint of 'noise'...so hope you will be OK.

They are indeed excellent tubes - and their bass response is quite breathtaking. Obviously results will vary between amps and accompanying setup...for example, my first (excited) hearing of them was using my ESS Sabre-clad Audiolab 8200CD's DAC...but I now have a tube DAC that also uses the same Sabre chip and I have just had the surprise of my life. After being won over by the EL3N as driver I thought I'd revisit the ECC31 out of interest...and WOW!...it seems this new DAC is somehow making the 31s sing even better still - filling in any slight gaps there may have been due to the amp not being 100% configured for them.

ps. My headphones are the Beyer T1s, and the DAC's tubes are Tesla E88CCs (gold pins & grid posts)...interconnects are pure silver...

Good luck with your own 31s...

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,860 of 7,413
They are indeed excellent tubes - and their bass response is quite breathtaking. Obviously results will vary between amps and accompanying setup...for example, my first (excited) hearing of them was using my ESS Sabre-clad Audiolab 8200CD's DAC...but I now have a tube DAC that also uses the same Sabre chip and I have just had the surprise of my life. After being won over by the EL3N as driver I thought I'd revisit the ECC31 out of interest...and WOW!...it seems this new DAC is somehow making the 31s sing even better still - filling in any slight gaps there may have been due to the amp not being 100% configured for them.

Who makes your Tube DAC, @hypnos1?

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #5,861 of 7,413
Who makes your Tube DAC, @hypnos1?

Hi JV.

The maker is a very small custom outfit here in the UK - Malbru Cables - with an amazing choice of DAC chip...ie. TDA1541 (at special price of £550) and Wolfson WM8741, PCM1794, Sabre ES9018 or AK4399 at £600....web link : http://www.malbru-cables.com/

Amazing value-for-money, given its superior performance over my £800 Audiolab...

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #5,862 of 7,413
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

Came across this raving review of the Shuguang Treasure CV181. Is anyone using them? the review considers it to be a contender for the ultimate tube, and the review was done when the price was 320 USD. Considering a pair can now be had or USD 120, it spiked my interest. Worth it?

It also mentions the black glass Brimar 6SN7GT to be better than the tungsols and sylvanias. Im assuming the 6SN7GT is being talked about and not the CV1988 which doesnt have such good reviews. Brent Jessee recording page also mentions these tubes to be the top of the line competing against BGRP Tung Sol and ECC32. What do you guys think?

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #5,863 of 7,413
@Jozurr I have not tried this tube but I have read about it. It might be worth a try at it's current cost. Why don't you give it a go and let us all know?
tongue.gif

Never mind I will be the guinea pig! I just ordered a matched set. I only bought two because I found a good deal on two that only cost $30 more than this tube's cost for a single.

Once they arrive and after some extensive listening I will post back. I will be selling one of them as well most likely unless this tube is as good as the reviews state. Then I will pack one away so as to have a spare.

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #5,864 of 7,413
Anyone know what are the major differences between the B65 metal base and B65 black base? (besides the different bases).

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #5,865 of 7,413
  Anyone know what are the major differences between the B65 metal base and B65 black base? (besides the different bases).

I have not heard the black-base B65...

However, judging from the pictures I have seen, they appear to have been manufactured later than the metal-base B65. Typically, the black-base tubes have clear glass, rectangular getters (as opposed to the cup getters on the earlier tubes) and to my eyes, it looks like the metal bracing on top of the upper mica is a little different. I have also seen clear-glass B65 with brown bases. However, since I have not heard these black or brown-based tubes, I have no idea if they sound different than the earlier, smoked metal ones.

I suggest that you purchase both and compare them for us. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back