6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2,506 of 7,413
Quote:
Little update on my Ken Rad VT-231.  Sometimes a tube needs tough love apparently.  Frustrated by its status as unusable in my amp I decided to give it a few good raps on each side of the glass to see if I could shift anything around a bit inside.  I probably hit it harder than I should have too since it was out of frustration.

So I put it in the amp, praying it wouldn't arc and blow something up, and after about a minute of some pretty frightening sounds (well beyond the usual pinging and such) it goes quiet!  The ghastly moaning sound that made it unlistenable is no more.  I would do this to my TSRP becasue they have the same issue, but I paid 11x more money for those so probably not. 
tongue_smile.gif

Now that the tube is actually working correctly it sounds really great.  Easily one of the nicest sounding 6SN7 I've used so far.  It is only a shade or so off from a Sylvania in tone, which I wasn't expecting, and has great low level resolution and a nice sense of air.  I have this feeling when I take the tube out it'll be no good again the next time I put it back in so I'm probably going to just enjoy it for a while as long as it lasts.

I enjoyed reading your account of this drama. Though, watching this unfold in person could have made for an uneasy experience. 
biggrin.gif
 Hope it continues to work out!

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,507 of 7,413
*shrugs*  It's already humming again. 
rolleyes.gif
  The plates and the mica retainers are both loose inside so the tube will never work right for long periods of time.  I got it pretty cheap so its alright, but its still a shame since it sounds good.  I'm just happy I got to hear what they really sound like, even for a short while.  That's the only reason I bought it, it was one of the few tubes I was still curios about.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2,509 of 7,413
Both.  One was originally good but now they both have issues.  It is quiet(ish) sometimes, but I get tired of rolling the dice every time I turn it on you know?  I ran the pair for a month in the WA6 with zero issues, zero noise, just the best sound I ever heard out of that amp before I sold it.  This amp sounds better with its worst tubes in it than the Woo sounded with its best though, so it's all good. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,512 of 7,413
Quote:
Quote:
It's coming back to me now.
ph34r.gif

Your WA6-SE?  I wondered when I saw you asking about umbilical cables for it.

dt880smile.png

O, that's been festering in my brain since springtime. But I was referring to your tale of woes with the expensive TS-BGRP's. I would only consider getting another 6 Special Edition if:

1. Price and condition were excellent
2. I could hot-rod it. Must be wicked! 

If I can only afford option #1 but not #2, ALL bets are off...why bother?! Additionally, it must...be...Black! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,514 of 7,413
Jul 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #2,516 of 7,413
Maybe, although I have often found auctions of mixed singles can provide a very good value.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2,517 of 7,413
Fingers crossed! Litz braid style crossed!

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2,518 of 7,413
Jul 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2,519 of 7,413
Quote:
Maybe, although I have often found auctions of mixed singles can provide a very good value.

I scored big the last time I did this.  Though I dare say this particular lot would be a bigger score considering what's on the right side of the picture.

edit:  then again, if it is the tall glass maybe the biggest prize is second from the left. 
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,520 of 7,413
i got outbid'd, it went for under 110 bucks so I guess the winner is very happy with it!

Too bad my dad shoved my car insurance payslip on top of my keyboard... maybe I'll wait for another deal of the century when I learn how to appreciate all the tubes i bought on an impulse.

Question,
How tall is a Sylvania tall boy compared to the normal Sylvania's? Is it by a large margin or just a bit? One of my ones seem a touch taller...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back