6SN7 and Octal Equivalents Reference Thread
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Alchemy_

New Head-Fier
~6SN7 and Octal Equivalents Reference Thread~

THIS THREAD IS BEING BUILT AT THE MOMENT

My original plan was to start with a very complete thread, but I kept running into inconsistencies with my findings.
Over the next few days I still plan to add a large amount of scraped data, but with (hopefully) added input from everyone.
If you have anything to add. please do. any and all suggestions are welcome via email or forum reply.
If you want to talk a lot, or very quickly, I have created a simple discord server for building this thread out.
https://discord.gg/T5UuwNGn4u

This thread covers any 6SN7 equivalents except miniature type tubes (7 pin, 9 pin, etc.). A select few of the tubes in this thread are not actually electrically equivalent to the 6SN7, and special notations have been made in these cases. This thread pulls heavily from old threads such as adhoc's Reference 6SN7 Thread and chrisdrop's 6J5G Reference Thread.

Due to the size of this thread, and my desire to have anyone easily make contributions, I have written a script to parse everything from google sheets. If you wish to contribute (please do!), you can fill out a new tube from the following template:
Google Sheets Tube Template

If you would like to make changes to anything (adding your review or anything else), you can open the relevant google doc and request edit access.
Please provide your head-fi username in the request message so I know you're cool.
Google Drive Master Folder Link
Standard 6SN7 Types:
  • [6SN7GT] First designation of the 6SN7 tube type. ‘G’ = glass body & ‘T’ = short bottle.
  • [6SN7W / 6SN7A / 6180] 10000hrs minimum life. Often labeled with JAN-CHS (equals Sylvania-made military stock) The A is generally a taller bottle with the mica above the metal band while the W has the bottom mica a bit below the metal band. But it's common to find both labelled as each other also.
  • [6SN7GTA] Upgrade' of 6SN7GT, max 450Volt Ua, 5W per system and 7.5W total. Hence tube better fulfills special requirements for TV sweep applications, like higher peak power and better impulse capabilities. If your amp is designed around this tube, you MAY NOT be able to substitute in other 6SN7 versions due to the higher ratings for this tube – check with your manufacturer.
  • [6SN7GTB] Same as GTA, but with faster tube heat-up (11 seconds only).
  • [6SN7GTC] Metal envelope type 6SN7 [ie. glass envelope replaced by a metal cap]. Not well regarded. From Audio Asylum: ”South American trash can style 6SN7, 1970's vintage, pure rubbish, I wouldn't even count on it really being a 6SN7 as the South American tube makers were fairly...'liberal'...with their use of tube numbers.” –Robert H. If your amp is designed around this tube, you MAY NOT be able to substitute in other 6SN7 versions due to the higher ratings for this tube check with your manufacturer.
  • [6SN7GTY] Only found on 6SN7GTs with brown ‘low-loss’ Micanol bases. RCA (US - lighter brown) and Brimar (British - darker brown) made GTYs.
  • [6SN7WGT] Military version of the 6SN7GT; 10,000hrs minimum life (up for debate). “IMO, while tubes (like car engines or light bulbs) may be rated for a specific lifetime, a LOT depends on the actual usage type and pattern the tube will see. E.g. Switch your amp on/off 10 times a day? Don’t expect 10,000hrs.”
  • [6SN7WGTA] Military version of 6SN7GTA.
  • [6SN7WGTB] Military version of 6SN7GTB.
  • [VT-231] Military Part number for 6SN7. Part number used until 1945 - hence presence of this designation is usually a guarantee for real old tubes.
  • [JAN-XXX-6SN7] JAN= Joint Army Navy. Factories conducted stress tests (above normal 'civilian' specs) on samples of standard tubes. If they survived, the whole lot would be approved (batch approval), and marked with the prefix JAN. The samples that are actually used for the stress tests are discarded. Do remember that the stress tests conducted were on SMALL samples. “ Very interesting thing nobody talks about - especially dealers who have made a living buying old military stock that occasionally pops out of warehouses. What did the government do with tube shipments they received where their spot testing results were not acceptable? Well, in some cases, they sent them back, whereupon the manufacturer sold them into the secondary markets. A lot of those are still floating around today. OR - the government stuck the shipment into a warehouse, and in typical bureaucratic fashion, forgot about them - until some SoCal slickster approaches them with a great offer. Bingo! They are back on the market as super-duper cold war commie beating top grade mil-spec tubes - and sold to you and I, who don't realize that they probably failed the spec test. The VT or JAN designations have too often been assumed in tube folklore to be better tubes. In reality, they may be the rejects. I have occasionally found FIELD STOCK in foreign countries left behind after a war. This is the primo stuff. Not the stuff sitting in a US or UK warehouse.” –Robert H.
  • [5692 tube] Military part number for a 'shock-proof' tube. Introduced 1948. The famous RCA "red base" is a 5692. Weight is much higher, and tube construction differs from 6SN7s. 275V maximum plate voltage & maximum 1.75W per section.
  • [33S30A / 33S30B] Swedish military versions of the 6SN7. Very very rare and sought after.
  • [1633/6042] 25V/0.15A heater version of the 6SN7.
  • [6N8S/1578] Old Russian designation for the 6SN7. Some Eastern European and Chinese tube factories still use this designation.
  • [6H8C] Russian designation for a 6SN7 with a higher plate voltage.
  • [13D2] Europe-only 'special quality' version of the 6SN7GT. The tube is reinforced for additional mechanical rigidity.
  • [B65] 6SN7 replacement made by Marconi/Osram/GEC. Extremely rare and sought after.
  • [CV1986 / CV1988] Both are the UK Government Common Valve designation for the 6SN7GT.
  • [CV2627] UK Government Common Valve designation for the 6SN7W.
Higher heater current draw:
  • [ECC31, 32, 33, 34] Popular Misconception: these are NOT equivalent to 6SN7. Especially the ECC32/CV181 - close, but the 50% higher current draw will probably fry some transformers. Grid voltage, gain and transconductance are all different for these tubes. Ask your amp manufacturer first before substituting these in.
  • [CV181/CV2821] Alternate designations for ECC32/ECC33 respectively. The popular Mullard CV181 is NOT a drop-in replacement for 6SN7s – 50% more power draw means that the tube will probably send your transformer up in smoke.
Different heater voltage:
  • [12SN7GT] many 6SN7's have a 12v heater counterpart of themselves. These are the EXACT same tube with the heaters simply wired in series instead of parallel
  • [B36] 12SN7 equivalent of the B65
Different base:
  • [6F8G] Anode capped 6SN7 (one of the grids). Older version of the 6SN7GT, Comes in coke bottle form.
  • [7N7] Loctal 6SN7. These tubes were created (and strongly advocated by RCA and Philco) for use in high-frequency radio applications, where the longer wires present in normal 6SN7 bases were causing problems by picking up interference. (this information applies to all loctal base tubes)
  • [CV898] European 7N7 designation
  • [14N7] 12v equivalent of the 7N7
Single Triode (6J5G etc.):
  • [6J5G] A single 6SN7 triode per bottle. simple as that. Come in coke bottle or straight bottle variants.
  • [12J5G] 12v 6J5G equivalent
  • [7A4] loctal 6J5G tube
  • [14A4] 12v 7A4 equivalent
  • [L63/VR67/CV1067] European designation for 6J5G tubes. Come in coke bottle or straight bottle. Manufactured by GEC/Marconi/Osram. Should be comparable to B65 types. Coke bottle variants are highly sought after.
  • [2C22] Developed by Ken-Rad in the early 1940's with grid and anode taken out through short and stubby low-inductance leads. To improve the operating frequency two top caps are used, one for anode and one for the grid. This tube is essentially a 6J5G. Requires one heck of an adapter but is very much worth the effort.
  • [7193/E-1148] Military designations for 2C22
  • [DET20/CV6] European designations for 2C22
  • [6C8P] Chinese 2C22
Other Tubes:
  • [C3G] A single pentode tube that purportedly works very very well in place of a 6SN7 when run in triode mode (obviously two tubes are required here). Adapters are frequently sold on ebay. Heater current should be close enough to a 6SN7 to run with transformers that support 6SN7's.
  • [BL63/VR102/CV1102/(10E/279)] Requires some modifications to make it work (more bias voltage) but purportedly an exceptional tube to use. This tube also follows the socket for a 6F8G tube. An adapter with integrated bias boost would likely do very nicely here. NOTE: this tube requires 1.27a of heater current!

Tube Table of Contents

Return to top of page by hitting your browser's back button.

===============================================================================

VT-231 Tubes

The U.S. military identifier for 6SN7GT's.
These tubes are given their own section due to the quantity of makes and their overall prevalence.
Many of these tubes also come in commercial labeling and are the exact same tube.
With the VT-231 label you get a near-guarantee your tube is pre-1946 as this designation was only used up until 1945.
===============================================================================​

Ken-Rad VT-231
Known Variants: 6SN7GT, 12SN7GT (comes in black and clear too)
Known Rebrands: General Electric
Known Military Designations: JAN-CKR
This tube is widely regarded to have the best bass of any 6SN7. There is also no difference between black and clear glass variants, so get clear glass if it's cheaper!
  • Bottle - Mid/Tall straight bottle. Clear or black glass. (no differences between glass types). Black glass ends roughly 7mm above the base
  • Plates - Parallel or staggered plates. Staggered plates are preferred. Plates are always flat black (or very dark grey) and wide with 2 punch holes in either end.
  • Micas - Small and rectangular.
  • Labels - White Large text KEN-RAD JAN-CKR
  • Getter - Bottom getter circumnavigating the base of the tube is visible.
  • Base - Standard black
Image Examples:
  • Chimera
    • Great Bass, drive, sweet midrange, good bandwidth
  • Hirsch
    • The Ken Rad VT-231 is often referred to as the very best 6SN7 for low end referring to bass, not low-quality equipment, and I've heard nothing to contradict that”
    • This particular 6SN7 is a monster. Great bass response on the R10...but with any other headphone can be overwhelming (depends on 12AT7). but the midrange and highs seemed to suffer. Tonality was great, but the ZOTL seemed to have a problem with smearing. My suspicion is that the older tubes just can't handle the ZOTL/R10 power demands.
  • Len
    • 40's should be the same as the VT-231 designations with staggered plates. Lots is written about this tube. I agree with most of what's written online. 40's KR, in either clear or black glass with staggered plates and bottom getters, are good tubes. Bass is definitely it's strong suit. On the other hand, the highs are more grainy than other tubes. Consider this tube the antithesis of the Sly VT-231s. Some say it's got a sweet midrange, but in my application it isn't even bordering on lean
  • Robert H
    • With reference to the KenRad, the first version can have either black glass or clear glass, always with staggered plates (I was the one who coined the 'staggered plates' moniker - there is zero sonic difference between the two). In the late 40's, when GE had taken more control over the KenRad operation, there was a second version with clear glass and in-line ribbed plates - it is NOTABLY inferior sonically - gone is the big bass and the midrange bloom, added is a dry, slightly constricted sound with no magic.”
  • Tuberoller
    • The month I spent waiting to get this tube was rewarded with the best bass performance of any tube I have yet tried. The bass is amazing, tight, accurate and very focused. Output tube matching becomes more important with this tube but the reward is the incredible bass. There is no real loss of soundstage or midrange dynamics from the 5692 brown base but some of the bass comes at the expense of vocal clarity.an awesome upgrade.”
  • adhoc
    • This is a tube that I enjoy immensely. Bass is very propulsive and visceral and grabs you at first listen. Unexpectedly, low level detail is best of all the tubes tested so far. I had my sister randomly switch tubes while I was blinded and I confirmed, in my setup at least, that this tube is the best for low level detail. Midrange is slightly less sweet than the 1952 syl 6SN7GT. Bass slam on this tube has to be heard to be believed. Instrument separation is slightly less than the Raytheon vt231. Vocals are a nice blend of clear and sweet on this tube. A very quick tube, outdone only by the 1952.
  • scottpaul_iu
    • VT-231 Ken-Rad, flat black plates - Great Bass, drive, sweet midrange (maybe not as sweet as the Syl VT231). Great top end extension as well and not harsh.”

RCA VT-231 (RCA Grey Glass)
Known Variants: 6SN7GT, 12SN7GT
Known Rebrands: Philco, Sylvania
Known Military Designations: U.S.N, JAN CRC
If you can, get an early 1940's vintage of this tube. The consensus is that these are sonically superior to later makes. You can look up an RCA date code reference sheet to match codes to years.
  • Bottle - Medium straight bottle. Grey glass (can be very dark [VERY rare]) with mica support lines scratched in.
  • Plates - Very wide and flat black parallel plates with good spacing inbetween.
  • Micas - massive and circular.
  • Labels - White with medium text. Labeling can vary in format from year to year
  • Getter - Bottom circumnavigating getter always visible.
  • Base - Standard black
Image Examples:
  • Glod
    • RCA VT-231 grey-bottles are much warmer and have a grand presentation with accentuated reverb. [compared to Ken-Rad and Sylvania VT-231 combo]
  • Hirsch
    • I had tried the RCA VT-231, and thought the high end didn't cut it compared to Sylvania's.
  • Rob N
    • As far as lushness goes the 1940's RCA grey glass is the one to go for.
    • I have used the gray glass RCA VT231 as input in the MPX3 (7 months ago) and it had good bass and nice detail,(sorry to be so vague but I haven't used them for a while) but it doesn't sound 'right' as a TS RP does.
  • Robert H
    • Here we get into murky territory. RCA produced a grey glass 6SN7GT with side micas straight through from 1942 until at least 1956, and there is a great deal of sonic variation among tubes within that period. None are bad. But the early one sound far better. This is one of my favorite 6SN7's, but let's face it - it is very warm and lush, has a huge soundstage and huge bloom - not for Cary owners (for example) whose amps are already tubby sounding. In a good, neutral tube amp - which is what a good tube amp is, actually - this tube is a king. But be VERY careful about the vintage. Early ones have the magic. Later ones are good but no moon dust.
    • The warmest, best tonally is the early grey glass RCA VT-231. This one has very strong bass, a bit less defined, but an incredible rich midrange.
    • With reference to the KenRad, the first version can have either black glass or clear glass, always with staggered plates (I was the one who coined the 'staggered plates' moniker - there is zero sonic difference between the two). In the late 40's, when GE had taken more control over the KenRad operation, there was a second version with clear glass and in-line ribbed plates - it is NOTABLY inferior sonically - gone is the big bass and the midrange bloom, added is a dry, slightly constricted sound with no magic.”
    • Yes, the RCA VT-231 is a bit syrupy. It certainly doesn't have the openness and detail of, say, the Sylvania VT-231. But it's TONALITY is just, well...right. The sound of musical instruments - their tonality - is simply the correct one. I just love this tube. So musical. It's sorta like a real babe, with killer knockers, but she's got a little too much around the middle. You know there's something not perfect, BUT - it just feels so damn good you can't keep yourself from going back.

Raytheon VT-231
Known Variants: 6SN7GT
Known Rebrands: Philco, Sperry (not rebranded. added on)
Known Military Designations: JAN-CRP, U.S. Navy (anchor)
  • Bottle - Tall straight bottle. Clear Glass.
  • Plates - T-shaped (similar to Sylvania plates) or "stubby" / not very wide but thick rectangular flat black. flat plate version rocks 2 support rods.
  • Micas - large rectangular
  • Labels - Raytheon orange or yellow. Always envelope distorted around the center.
  • Getter - Bottom getter. Barely visible if at all.
  • Base - Standard black
Image Examples:
  • Chimera
    • Like the Tung-Sol a little sweeter, nice balance of detail and timbre [Chimera] [flat plates]
  • Glod (flat plates)
    • Raytheon VT-231 or JAN-CRP-6SN7GT are much more forward in their presentation. [compared to Ken-Rad and Sylvania VT-231 combo]. If you like (much) more excitement and drive; change the Sylvania's for Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7WGT from the early to mid 1950.
  • Hirsch
    • I've been experimenting with the Raytheon VT-231. There are two versions of this tube. One is a box plate, that looks like the early Sylvania plates. I wasn't particularly impressed by this. It's a good tube, but doesn't have anything the other 6SN7's I've been using couldn't do. However, the other version has flat plates and support rods. This is a different beast entirely. It's got a very fast attack, with extreme control of the lower midrange and midbass. Extended highs. The midrange is not as lush as some of the other 6SN7's, but it's dead accurate. In front of a pair of Syl VT-231's, this tube makes the Supra a very forward sounding amp, with great speed and the best bass I've gotten out of the amp. Since I put it in a few weeks ago, I've simply left it there, and listened to music (no urge to roll any more tubes right now). [Hirsch]
  • Hirsch (flat plates)
    • I thought it had a hard area in the midrange that gave the Sylvania a clear edge. I was wrong, I think. I've now tried two sets in the past week, and there's no trace of the hardness I heard before. My suspicion is that the amp had not fully burned in when I tried them, and that what I was hearing wasn't the tubes, but the amp itself. It's also possible that it was a cabling or source issue, since there have been a lot of system changes since the early tuberolling attempts. Right now, these tubes are heaven. Extended highs, a crystal clear midrange lacking some of the Sylvania's warmth, and an extended bass response. Interesting, actually, since these were also the tubes I eventually settled on with the MicroZOTL when I had one. They've got something that eventually brings me back to them. The level of detail seems higher than it is with Sylvania's, and the bass impact of these tubes really comes through on the R10. [Hirsch] [flat plates]
  • Len
    • I like this tube. It doesn't compare to the better 40's 6SN7, but it's significantly cheaper (or at least it should be). It's relatively linear with a little emphasis in the midband. Not a big sound, but very easy to listen to. [Len] [flat plates]
  • Robert H
    • There are at least FOUR versions that I have found. This tube, in one form or another, was in production from 1943 to at least 1956 - a long time. There is a short bottle T-plate version and a tall bottle version with narrow plates. Number of support rods and clips on the micas differed. Other minor changes. Most prefer the ribbed plates over the T-plates and the earlier ones are better. [Robert H.]
  • adhoc
    • Compared to 1952 Syl 6SN7GT and KenRad vt231, this is a brighter sounding tube. There is a certain forcefulness to the presentation that is quite attention-grabbing. Vocals are extremely clear with this tube. The mids are less sweet and a wee bit thinner than both the KR and 1952. There is a slight dry-ness to the sound overall. Clarity clarity clarity, yet less low level detail than the KR. A tad less bass slam than the 1952. I noticed some reverb. [adhoc]
  • scottpaul_iu
    • excellent dynamics. Loads of power, but can be slightly harsher than the other two pairs [syl vt-231 and ken rad vt-231]. [Hirsch], in personal correspondence with author [flat plates]

Sylvania VT-231
Known Variants: 6SN7GT, 12SN7GT
Known Rebrands: RCA
Known Military Designations: JAN CHS
Do not confuse this with the infamous Bad Boy! Those have 3 hole t-plates and are a 1952 exclusive.
  • Bottle - Tall straight bottle.
  • Plates - black T-plates. TWO holes.
  • Micas - Thin and rectangular
  • Labels - White or green with small text. JAN-CHS-6SN7GT VT-231
  • Getter - Bottom getter, usually circumnavigates the base of the glass. always visible.
  • Base - Standard black or green(VERY rare)
Image Examples:
  • Chimera
    • Wide bandwidth, well balanced, excellent sound stage and air -Chimera
  • Hirsch
    • Good high end extension, a warm and full midrange and decent bass extension. Imaging is precise and the perceived staging is wide. What could be better? (refers to 1940s and pre-1953 construction tubes only)
    • I've been using all 3 Sylvania VT-231s in my MPX3 for the past couple days now. While the clarity and resolution improved, bass didn't. I would describe the overall sound characteristic as neutral, transparent, and musical. Problem right now is with the Sylvanias, the MPX3 is great for jazz and classical but not so great for hip-hop and rock. I am wondering if TS as gain tube will take care of my problem. Just something to make it bring out more of the bass.
    • Right off the bat, the bass is recessed but with more control. Everything sounds more refined and delicate. Soundstage is bigger too. Will report back once they are burn in.
    • Turns out that the bass is not so much recessed but the overall sound being more neutral. I was used to the stock EH tubes being more boomy.
    • Using the Sylvania VT-231, I simply couldn't get a decent bass response, no matter what I did.
    • Very nice midrange, slightly weak bass, good highs. One of the best all-around tubes. This is not the 1952 "big bass" tube, which is not a VT-231. IThe 1952 tube looks similar, but has green print, and will say 6SN7GT on it. There will be a three digit date code on the base of the tube, and the first number will be "2", in personal correspondence with author
  • Len
    • Sylvania VT-231s are good value tubes, with the main deficiency in the bass region. Some here think it's a sweet tube; I disagree. It's a very linear tube from the midrange on up and does the treble region very well (extended and grainless).
  • Robert H
    • Curiously, in your pictures you show a version that is neither of these - you show the first version from 1943 that has a plate getter and engraved base - it is perhaps the best of any, it actually has bass! Along with the other characteristics of the 1945 white label version. Worth checking around for, a very good tube, best Syl VT-231 IMO.
    • If you are looking for strong bass, avoid the mid-40's Sylvania VT-231 which has weak bass
  • Tuberoller
    • this tube afforded great improvements in midrange, vocals and detail. Bass was not as tight as the Ken-Rad but the vocal performance was superior. This tube was fond of piano jazz and lush vocal tracks. It also matched well with all the output tubes and ran a little hot.
  • scottpaul_iu
    • VT-231 Sylvania, black plates, wide bandwidth, well balanced, excellent sound stage and air, good bass but not quite as much bass as the KenRad VT231.

Tung-Sol VT-231
Known Variants: 6SN7GT, 12SN7GT (comes in black and clear too)
Known Rebrands: General Electric, Westinghouse, Lafayette, Radiocoin, Philco, ART, and a lot more!
Known Military Designations: U.S. Navy, JAN
This tube is prohibitively expensive due to its popularity. Do your best to spot rebrands of this tube as they are relatively common.
  • Bottle - very short straight bottle. black glass (blacker on older vintages) that ends about 80% up the bottle.
  • Plates - "keyhole" / cylindrical black plates. blackest of the black plates often seen on older vintages.
  • Micas - small oval or round mica (round mica VERY rare. indicates this tube predates 1943)
  • Labels - White text (very rarely burnt orange), elongated or wavy font (earlier tubes) or bold typeface. Navy tubes sometimes were printed with fun anchors on them.
  • Getter - Not visible
  • Base - Standard black
Image Examples:
  • Chimera
    • Tung-Sol round-plates are much faster, open and perhaps a bit colder [compared to Ken-Rad and Sylvania VT-231 combo] [Glod]
  • Hirsch
    • I really like the Tung Sol VT 231.It has a very, very nice overall balance and is fast and accurate. Not the killer bass of the Ken Rad and not the super lush midrange of the CBS brown base but a nice sonic signature that will not offend. [Tuberoller]
    • This tube was never considered special until some dealer got a bunch, noticed the price creeping up, slipped a few judicious posts onto Audio Asylum shilling them, and sat back to watch he demand he generated drive up the price - and then, it snowballs - everyone's gotta try them - and then, everybody who paid $250 to $300 for a pair of tubes all of a sudden starts hearing incredible things in them and they are the new "best". One idiot on Ebay has even taken to selling French Neotron round plates and alluding to them being as good as Tung sols, or maybe even made by Tungsol! (hint - the Neotron is an OK tube, but nothing special.) The fact is, the T-S round plates are very fine, have great inner transparency and are unique sounding, the mids are not lush, but they do have a nice touch of euphonics, the bass is weaker than I would like and the highs can be sibilant - a problem. It does have the virtue of being the most uniformly quiet 6SN7 and consistent from sample to sample. [Robert H.]
  • Len
    • Tung Sol round plate 6SN7GT: what can I say? This tube in front of a pair of Sylvania's seems to do it all. Exquisite detail, strong bass, glorious midrange and extended highs. [Hirsch]
  • Robert H
    • I think I prefer the TS RP which IMO sound 'lusher' than the 6SN7W metals [metal bases] [Rob] N
    • I try not to use the soundstage word when talking about headphones but using the TS RP is presenting a not only wider but deeper and much clearer soundstage with the senns. than either the Sylvania VT-231 or the KenRad VT-231. I still think the bass is more pronounced with the KenRad, but the more I use the TS I'm starting to think the bass is better defined through them.(the TS) The midrange and treble is by far the best I've heard through my system. So sweet, smooth, and still with great detail. [tom] hankins
    • TS RP are my favorite 6SN7s, bar none. They do everything right, and the only complaint I hear about them (other then microphonics which is contrary to my experience) is that they are linear to the point of being boring If you're using a SET, nothing expresses their midrange beauty like a TS RP. [Len]
    • TS RP simply has the best separation of space - with accurate timber and timing. The midrange is magical, especially when mated with SETs [Single-Ended Triodes]. [Len]
    • The TS RP, on the other hand, doesn't possess as large a presentation [as the Syl 6SN7W] but is a lot more refined and seductive. [Len]
    • The most musical tube is the Tung Sol round plate. It's simply the best balance of everything a tube can offer IMHO." -Len [in personal correspondence with author]
    • This tube seems to have a slightly dry signature when compared directly to the Syl '52. It seems to combine the best traits of many tubes - the bass and impact of the KR VT231, the clarity of the RT VT231 and most of the musicality of the Syl '52 with unparalled detail. This tube makes music, any music, beautiful to listen to - it certainly lives up to its reputation. -adhoc
  • Tuberoller
    • Those are the best of the Tung Sol's. A stunning tube. Highly detailed, full midrange with superb bass. -Hirsch
  • adhoc
    • I keep hearing TS RP are microphonic, but of the dozen or so pairs I've owned, that's never proven the case. [Len]
  • scottpaul_iu
    • If you like more speed and agility, change the Ken Rad for a Tung-Sol 6SN7GT (round-plates) [Glod]

American 6SN7's

The great American NOS tube.
===============================================================================​

European 6SN7's.

Real fancy stuff.
Military designations for these tubes are grouped to the original tube if applicable.

Russian 6SN7's.

Home of the Melz 1578

6F8G Tubes

6SN7GT and VT-231 in a coke bottle. The grandfather of the 6SN7
Different pinout to 6SN7 tubes and one grid pin is removed to an anode cap.
These tubes are highly regarded for being "premium" to most 6SN7's

Single Triode Tubes

6J5G, VT-94, L63, 2C22, 7193, etc.
2C22 is grouped in here as it is pin-compatible with the 6J5G
Although it still requires anode cap adaptations

New Production Tubes

For when NOS runs out.
This section can contain any tube type in this thread

Specialty Items

For the exceptionally unique and most likely to require amp modifications.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Saying it here in the comments too.. I am looking for feedback! I didn't feel like plastering so much onto this thread right away that I put up too much outdated info, or I glanced over catastrophic mistakes in how I built the post. However, I will be trickling tubes in over the weekend.

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Nice thread, watching now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back