6SN7 and 6BL7 tubes - interchangeable?
Mar 31, 2015 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SptsNaz

1000+ Head-Fier
This might be a stupid question, but anyone know if these two tubes are interchangeable? More specifically, I am still using an old Singlepower MPX3 amplifier with 6SN7 tubes across the board. I noticed that this combo works fine with high impedence cans but leaves something to be desired with my multitude of grados, thus I am hoping to try and swap out the two output 6SN7 tubes with 6BL7's as they have the same pin configuration. Can someone just confirm that this won't destroy my amplifier? There is info on the web regarding this, but I couldn't find a concrete answer as to whether or not this will work with a stock MPX3 without destroying it.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 3
  This might be a stupid question, but anyone know if these two tubes are interchangeable? More specifically, I am still using an old Singlepower MPX3 amplifier with 6SN7 tubes across the board. I noticed that this combo works fine with high impedence cans but leaves something to be desired with my multitude of grados, thus I am hoping to try and swap out the two output 6SN7 tubes with 6BL7's as they have the same pin configuration. Can someone just confirm that this won't destroy my amplifier? There is info on the web regarding this, but I couldn't find a concrete answer as to whether or not this will work with a stock MPX3 without destroying it.

Thanks!

No you will burn up the power transformer
The 6SN7 filament draws .6 amp and the 6BL7 draws 1.5 amp

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks 2359glenn

Just bumping this one more time in case someone else might have different input. I know for a fact other people have used these tubes with MPX3 amps... what made it possible? Was the option only available for the SLAM rendition? Even my stock one has a pretty hefty Hammond transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back